BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

By fatty, he means the point of a brisket right? The amount of sweet happening in there scares me a bit.

No, by fatty he means a log of sausage, like Bob Evans or Jimmy Deans. You take it out of the plastic and smoke it whole, like this:

PXL_20210926_213249768.MP.jpg

It's actually not over sweet. About the same a Bush's beans.

No, by fatty he means a log of sausage, like Bob Evans or Jimmy Deans. You take it out of the plastic and smoke it whole, like this:

View attachment 9032732

It's actually not over sweet. About the same a Bush's beans.
Yet another product that we don't have here in Canada!

@RatFink bugger. However, can you get maple sausage? If you can, you need 1lb, roll it into a log and have at it.

For the pellet crew, what brand of pellets does everyone use?

I use a mix. I do a 1/3 charcoal blend, 1/3 Apple and 1/3 Cherry. Depending on what I am cooking I will eliminate the charcoal blend or increase it to 50%. I use the Traeger brand simply because the ACE next to my house has them. Charcoal I just buy online because I haven't found it in stores. I feel like it gives a great flavor like I am smoking on a weber. I have heard that it using it has no impact on my pellet smoker and I have heard that it is not good. I don't really care. My Green Mountain got 5 years and I used it almost the whole time.

https://www.bbqguys.com/traeger/20-lb-natural-hardwood-pellets-cherry and https://www.bbqguys.com/traeger/20-lb-natural-hardwood-pellets-apple

When I was hanging out with the competition bbq team last month, they were using 100% charcoal pellets for their smoke ring and smoke characteristic. I would love to do a side by side between a wood flavoured pellet cook and a charcoal pellet cook.

I don't notice a ton of difference in flavor between hickory, apple, cherry, even charcoal.

Maybe my palate isn't refined enough, but honestly I think if you find a quality brand you will be just fine with whatever "Flavor" you choose.

i’m not sure it matters much. i think most competition blends are predominantly oak. i do like the idea of charcoal pellets like @RatFink mentions.

i’m not sure it matters much. i think most competition blends are predominantly oak. i do like the idea of charcoal pellets like @RatFink mentions.

The only thing I would say matters, is getting QUALITY pellets. I totally agree that the flavor profile doesn't change much from wood to wood.

When I was hanging out with the competition bbq team last month, they were using 100% charcoal pellets for their smoke ring and smoke characteristic. I would love to do a side by side between a wood flavoured pellet cook and a charcoal pellet cook.
If you like the flavor of charcoal cooking it is amazing. Main reason I don't use charcoal only is it is very rare that my hopper is even half empty. It is too much of a pain to empty it so I just go with a mix.

I don't notice a ton of difference in flavor between hickory, apple, cherry, even charcoal.

Maybe my palate isn't refined enough, but honestly I think if you find a quality brand you will be just fine with whatever "Flavor" you choose.

totally agree. biggest difference i've noticed between brands is amount of ash.

totally agree. biggest difference i've noticed between brands is amount of ash.

Yes ash and the sawdust or really fine pellets in some of the cheaper brands.

To me, if you go with one of the established brands, you will be just fine. They are all about the same in my eyes.

Same. I've been using the Kingsford blend and it's been fine. Mainly because I can find it regularly in the local stores.

I prefer bear mountain when I can find it. I have also found royal oak charcoal pellets and really like them.

As for wood flavors, my two favorites are Oak (for beef) and apple (for pork/chicken/fish)

I might try to mix some charcoal and oak pellets and see if it influences the flavor. I may also incorporate a pellet smoker tube to try and get some extra smoke flavor

I prefer bear mountain when I can find it. I have also found royal oak charcoal pellets and really like them.

As for wood flavors, my two favorites are Oak (for beef) and apple (for pork/chicken/fish)

I might try to mix some charcoal and oak pellets and see if it influences the flavor. I may also incorporate a pellet smoker tube to try and get some extra smoke flavor

This to me is the only way to get a decent smoke flavor from a pellet grill. I use one on all of my smokes.

Shame! It's a weekend and this thread is on PAGE 7??? Say it ain't so ...

My buddy is driving down from Va. as we speak to play a round with me this afternoon on my home course, and another in the morning before heading home. I ordered some Bison Rib-eyes and a couple of Bison Tomahawks. Have had the Tomahawks in a red wine/garlic/parsley/minced onion (and a few other ingredients) marinade for 24 hours, the rib-eyes I coated in olive oil and a healthy dose of Montreal steak seasoning.

My plan is to do them in the Big Green Egg indirect at 225 or so until they are about 115 degrees internally, then remove the insert, crank up to 600 degrees or so, and reverse sear for a couple of minutes on each side.

I anticipate awesomeness. Serving with some Hasselback potatoes.

Did a couple racks of ribs last night that might have been my best yet. Bones came out clean as can be but the meat wasnt mush and still had a nice bite.

3-2-1 with honey hog on 1 rack, killer hogs on the other. Spritz with apple cider and captain. Brown sugar and honey and a little something else before the foil wrap.

Shame! It's a weekend and this thread is on PAGE 7??? Say it ain't so ...

My buddy is driving down from Va. as we speak to play a round with me this afternoon on my home course, and another in the morning before heading home. I ordered some Bison Rib-eyes and a couple of Bison Tomahawks. Have had the Tomahawks in a red wine/garlic/parsley/minced onion (and a few other ingredients) marinade for 24 hours, the rib-eyes I coated in olive oil and a healthy dose of Montreal steak seasoning.

My plan is to do them in the Big Green Egg indirect at 225 or so until they are about 115 degrees internally, then remove the insert, crank up to 600 degrees or so, and reverse sear for a couple of minutes on each side.

I anticipate awesomeness. Serving with some Hasselback potatoes.
How did they turn out? That sounds like something I would enjoy a lot!

I'll be firing up the summit kamado shortly to do a little 11lbs turkey that has been dry brining since Saturday evening and a small ham.

I did Pork Belly Burnt Ends this weekend.

Forgot to take pics, but as always, they turned out incredible.

Used the Meatchurch recipe, and it has never let me down. They come out super tender, and literally just melt in your mouth.

How did they turn out? That sounds like something I would enjoy a lot!

I'll be firing up the summit kamado shortly to do a little 11lbs turkey that has been dry brining since Saturday evening and a small ham.

It was great! If I had it do over again I’d have pulled them at 110 degrees before doing the reverse sear. They were pink inside but would’ve been perfect 5-10 degrees lower… the rib-eyes were even better than the tomahawks.

Turkey from yesterday: cooked roughly 2.5 hours over a mix of the dregs of a bag of KJ big block, Jealous Devil and cheap Kingsford Blue with a scant few cherry chunks. Maintained an indicated 300-325F for the duration. Pulled at 155F in the breasts, and who knows in the thighs.
Dry brined 36hrs, then seasoned with pepper and Meathead's Simon & Garfunkel herb mix, glazed over the final 45mins with a mixture of soy sauce, oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar, orange peel, pepper corn, bay leaf.

W3bqott.jpg

Grilling up some local farm beef for some burgers tonight

8838D62B-81AE-4DF7-BD1E-C98A288201DB.jpeg

Back