BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

After about 10 awesome years with my Pit Boss, finally had to retire her. Now looking to replace it…. So many choices!

After about 10 awesome years with my Pit Boss, finally had to retire her. Now looking to replace it…. So many choices!

recommend checking out Recteq

I have the 680 and 5 buddies have the 700 and not one complaint between us. They just work

I started the pork butts at 7am at 225 degrees. My wife wrapped while I golfed and should be pulling them in an hour. I base my recipe off of this this one but not exactly

it was really good.13664C95-95EC-41BD-9E48-BA3BF3580896.jpeg

Last edited:
The other one, I haven’t shredded. Looks greatimage.jpg

Now that it’s getting a little cooler, wondering if you have a cut-off temperature for outdoor cooking/grilling. What is the coldest you’d consider going out to do some cooking?

I started the pork butts at 7am at 225 degrees. My wife wrapped while I golfed and should be pulling them in an hour. I base my recipe off of this this one but not exactly

it was really good.View attachment 9044397
The other one, I haven’t shredded. Looks greatView attachment 9044399
Those look delicious!!

I have a pork butt in the fridge that I need to cook up… trying to decide if I’m going outside or doing it in the oven.

Now that it’s getting a little cooler, wondering if you have a cut-off temperature for outdoor cooking/grilling. What is the coldest you’d consider going out to do some cooking?

I’ve been starting to wonder this too. We didn’t have our screened in patio last winter, so I am curious what our cutoff temp will be before we say it’s too cold to cook outside. I also wonder if we will need to get a heat jacket for our smoker to make sure it works/cooks properly.

I grill/smoke in any weather/temperatures

What does this mean though? What’s the coldest you cooked outside last year?

I live in Chicago area, it’s been negative temps where I have started the smoker or the grill

I’ve been starting to wonder this too. We didn’t have our screened in patio last winter, so I am curious what our cutoff temp will be before we say it’s too cold to cook outside. I also wonder if we will need to get a heat jacket for our smoker to make sure it works/cooks properly.
I think even just something to keep a bit of heat in, like a roof, and the wind at bay would help a ton!

I’ve definitely lit the bbq at -20°C (-4°F). That was a challenge.

I live in Chicago area, it’s been negative temps where I have started the smoker or the grill
Do you add a bunch of time to your cooks then?

I think even just something to keep a bit of heat in, like a roof, and the wind at bay would help a ton!

I’ve definitely lit the bbq at -20°C (-4°F). That was a challenge.

We have a fully enclosed back patio that we had build last year. It’s screened so we have all our grills under it and away from the elements, but wind can obviously still make it’s way through since it’s screened. I am really curious to see how things go this winter. But I’m excited for our new smoker to arrive, I’ve missed using it.

I brought two of these bad boys to the tailgate yesterday. Very successful.

PXL_20211113_160337837.jpg

My Recteq has smoked in any temp Wisconsin has thrown at it. May burn more pellets, but it works great no matter the temp 👍🏻

I want it all, in and around my mouth
20211118_165847.jpg

I'll grill in any weather, but my smoker struggles once it gets below 35 or so, especially if the wind is blowing

I'll grill in any weather, but my smoker struggles once it gets below 35 or so, especially if the wind is blowing
I find it's the wind that really makes things challenging too.

Luckily since the Silverbac has double-walled insulation I will smoke all winter long, it really holds temperatures even when it is below freezing. It burns more pellets, but can still hold temperatures for smoking

Luckily since the Silverbac has double-walled insulation I will smoke all winter long, it really holds temperatures even when it is below freezing. It burns more pellets, but can still hold temperatures for smoking
That sounds like a handy feature! I have my research cut out for me when it's eventually time to replace my propane and charcoal grills. Long ways off there though.

Back