BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Now that it’s getting a little cooler, wondering if you have a cut-off temperature for outdoor cooking/grilling. What is the coldest you’d consider going out to do some cooking?

My Humphreys Weekender is double insulated so I don't think I'll have an issue. This will be the first winter I've had it. My UDS was OK, but it ate charcoal like a fat kid eats lollies.

I’ve been starting to wonder this too. We didn’t have our screened in patio last winter, so I am curious what our cutoff temp will be before we say it’s too cold to cook outside. I also wonder if we will need to get a heat jacket for our smoker to make sure it works/cooks properly.
Do you guys have room for one of these?

on deck to do my 3rd ever brisket this weekend. it's just a 13lb prime full packer from costco, but i really like the shape of it. i bought some wagyu beef tallow to do jeremy yoder's wrapping technique. i've done it before, but by rendering the fat trimmings from the brisket itself, never with actual wagyu tallow. i'm also mixing up my rub a bit, adding about 1/12 lawry's and killer hogs the rub, just for a little more complexity. the last two i've done, the flat was drier than i'd like. we'll see if i can manage the temp better.

on deck to do my 3rd ever brisket this weekend. it's just a 13lb prime full packer from costco, but i really like the shape of it. i bought some wagyu beef tallow to do jeremy yoder's wrapping technique. i've done it before, but by rendering the fat trimmings from the brisket itself, never with actual wagyu tallow. i'm also mixing up my rub a bit, adding about 1/12 lawry's and killer hogs the rub, just for a little more complexity. the last two i've done, the flat was drier than i'd like. we'll see if i can manage the temp better.
We all request pics! That sounds amazing.

I can't remember where I saw it, probably youtube where guys check out bbq spots in the south, but after the initial maybe 6 hours, they actually wrapped the flat way earlier than the rest.. especially if it's pretty thin..

then again you could turn the flat into burnt ends

What are you cooking it on? And which timer/thermometer are you using?

I can't remember where I saw it, probably youtube where guys check out bbq spots in the south, but after the initial maybe 6 hours, they actually wrapped the flat way earlier than the rest.. especially if it's pretty thin..

then again you could turn the flat into burnt ends

true, i could wrap the flat in some foil until i'm ready to wrap the whole thing in butcher paper.

i always thought burnt ends came from the point?

What are you cooking it on? And which timer/thermometer are you using?

cooking it on a grilla chimp. just a regular meat thermometer, not anything fancy like a thermapen. for the wrap i go by bark set and fat feel. when pulling it i try to pull at 200ish. the flat just gets there way before the point.

true, i could wrap the flat in some foil until i'm ready to wrap the whole thing in butcher paper.

i always thought burnt ends came from the point?

You're right I had it backwards. I did make then with the end of the flat once, as it was drying out so it was a way to salvage that portion. They were alright, but probably better off mixing it in the Mac n cheese instead. Good luck with it!

New Grilla is here and installed in the Grilla kitchen area

F2F64F85-F942-4D28-8E85-2828DAA2FD6B.jpeg

That looks awesome…what’s the first item on the menu??? Or should we say the maiden voyage?

We all request pics! That sounds amazing.

no pics. was rushing to get everything plated. i think the smoked wagyu made a bit of difference. was it a massive difference? i don’t think so. it’s just as effective to smoke rendered fat from the trimmings.

i continue to struggle with my flat. the taste is incredible. but i can’t get an accordion drape. it’s always drier than i want it to be. i wonder if the size of the chimp is working against me. like, if i had a bigger barrel for more heat dissipation and less concentration in a small space, would that provide for a more gentle cook?

Beautiful! Absolutely love mine with the alpha controller as well.

Wish I had the right setup for an outdoor kitchen
We didn't in this house either when we moved in and had to get it built. The kitchen ironically enough was from Grilla and was purchased because it fit perfectly measurement wise and we already had the smoker, so it was destiny haha. Love the look and construction though.

Butt from Smokin Oaks local farm going on

A34BD63D-CDDD-4043-A95D-C7F30C61C445.jpeg

Anyone smoking the turkey today?

Man, the Grilla is a BEAST! Been going all night through the cold ass temps like a champ!

Anyone smoking the turkey today?

Normally would be, unfortunately my smoker died a few weeks ago, still in process of replacing it.

Back