BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Received a Big Green Egg for Xmas, putting it together today. going to try something easy today like some burgers and brats.
You are going to love it jim. I havd had mine since 2006 and still love it today as much as the day i got it

I agree they are nice and versatile and easy to use. I was really impressed with my dads when I was using it over the holidays but for a big BBQ it didn't look like it could hold enough meat and I'm usually drawn to a nice offset smoker.
When doing a lot of meat at once an offset can do a lot more at once.

Did some Italian sausage and brats 1st then some burgers for football food. Need to get used to the cooking times, but came out real tasty. Burgers were very juicy. Next weekend is a brisket and small turkey.
If you do not have one, get a verticle rack for the turkey

71dd30b6ac4608e4b55b8386d4f185b6.jpg

35dc5add01ccc0db6254b01c4bee59af.jpg
That looks awesome mike

Looks good Wardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good!
44667ed0633a0427885ba426d59aa1ff.jpg

Well these were delicious.

C540AE81-4FE3-4AE4-8EBC-70507667B929.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

d5b3f01914a14eb905ab548b25062098.jpg

Rubbed overnight, smoking with pecan wood.

Had some early temp spikes that took a bit to get under control. Hanging out now at about 270, which is a little higher than I'd like but it's a lot better than the 330 I had earlier.

hope your our finger is doing ok. That looks good

Best store bought dry rub for ribs!?

Going out to buy the biggest Brisket I can find to rub and wrap today for tomorrow. Doing a pot of Boston Baked Beans with a ham bone (lots of ham left on) from Xmas.
Figure on 10 - 12 hrs or so depending on size for the Brisket tomorrow. With some Baked potatoes and vegies put in a couple of hours before the Brisket is done.

JB,
Reading back though here, you seem to favor 225 -265 heat range will a full load of Lump last the whole cook? Going to get some pecan or apple chunks to soak overnight for a bit of smoke also. This being the 1st big long term cook I would appreciate any veteran advice.

Thanks

Im sure lots of guys can help in here. I prefer 225 to 285 for long smokes and try not to base it on time. I know that is easier said then done, but I go strictly by internal temperature and hope I have allowed enough time to get there by going early. I can always wrap in foil and place in a cooler if it is done too soon.

Since this is your first long smoke, here is what I would say.
Get temp set right before putting food on. You are using a BGE and once temp sets it regulates itself really well. Its much easier to raise the temp then lower it, so slowly get temp where you want it. I light my lump and toss two chunks of wood on it for long cooks and when they are fully lit I then close lower slide to a fraction of an inch and daisy wheel on top to a fraction open. Then I watch temp until its what I need it at.

For long cooks do not forget a drip pan. Nothing makes smoke bitter faster than drippings into the fire pit. While the deflector plate will (must) be used, it can still get in there. Have a thermometer ready and check it out. For me something like pulled pork, I want it around 200* if not 205*. While safe to eat at 165 I believe, the full breakdown happens way later than that.

If it starts to get too hot, dont worry, close the slides down a bit more and let it do its thing. Once regulated, you should be able to keep a fairly steady temp for hours upon hours.

Thanks, I picked up the egg deflector yesterday but did not think about the drip pan. The way this is set up would you just set the meat in the pan on a rack?

Since I only have one rack there is no place to put the drip pan except on the deflector and it seems like it would just get very hot and burn up the drippings causing burnt flavor. Or should I find a double rack?

Thanks, I picked up the egg deflector yesterday but did not think about the drip pan. The way this is set up would you just set the meat in the pan on a rack?

Since I only have one rack there is no place to put the drip pan except on the deflector and it seems like it would just get very hot and burn up the drippings causing burnt flavor. Or should I find a double rack?

I use a disposable aluminum pan sitting on my deflector plate. Usually fill it with apple juice or water to prevent burning.

Gordon's Grub Rub
Is Gluten Free, No MSG, and no preservatives
And try as I may, I cannot resize this pic to make it smaller...my apologies. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

shopping

Last edited:

There are a lot of good ones. I mean a lot. And making your own is quite easy too.
Famous Daves is great on ribs.
Plowboys Yardbird
Smiply Marvelous stuff is good.
Arthur Bryants rub is solid.
Bad Byrons Butt Rub
If you like sweeter, go with Killer Hogs rub

Keep in mind a lot of the store bought stuff has MSG in it, some people do not care for or are allergic.

The Dinosaur BBQ rub is also excellent, especially on pork. Had that last night on some pork chops.

I have the drip pan, you can use the disposable pans like JB said. Either way is fine. In the long run I like the BGE drip pan as you can set your V Rack on it

Thanks for the info, found a 10 lb Brisket. Wow they are more expensive than I thought, got it for $73.00 at W.D. about the same size at Publics was over $100 not much fat so it should feed the 8 or 9 people coming over.

I am going to plan for 12 hrs +/- in the egg. But not in a rush so if it needs longer no problem I have plenty of adult beverages.

I use a disposable aluminum pan sitting on my deflector plate. Usually fill it with apple juice or water to prevent burning.

Ive used cheap wine too.

Thanks for the info, found a 10 lb Brisket. Wow they are more expensive than I thought, got it for $73.00 at W.D. about the same size at Publics was over $100 not much fat so it should feed the 8 or 9 people coming over.

I am going to plan for 12 hrs +/- in the egg. But not in a rush so if it needs longer no problem I have plenty of adult beverages.
Make sure to plan on an hour or two for a proper resting period too. I usually pull mine off at 190-195 and rest for 2 hours double wrapped in foil in a cooler.

WOW!!! That is EXPENSIVE for brisket. Best of luck. Hope it turns out well.

That's been about the going rate for Brisket around here lately. Typically $7.99 a lbs when not on sale. I've got a 5lb brisket I'm going to put on in the morning. Found this one for $6.99 a lbs.

Ball park rule for cooking brisket is 1.5 hours per pound. I'll use that as a starting point but base mostly on temp. Once I hit 160degrees I wrap in foil and then let it get up to 190-195, then let it rest for 45min to an hour.

I did see Cheaper at Walmart but it looked like more fat than meat and I have not had good luck with their meat in the past. Don't know why but it just seemed to not have much or a good flavor.

That's been about the going rate for Brisket around here lately. Typically $7.99 a lbs when not on sale. I've got a 5lb brisket I'm going to put on in the morning. Found this one for $6.99 a lbs.

Ball park rule for cooking brisket is 1.5 hours per pound. I'll use that as a starting point but base mostly on temp. Once I hit 160degrees I wrap in foil and then let it get up to 190-195, then let it rest for 45min to an hour.

Around here too. Went to my local butcher today that we just love and he was $7.99.

Back