BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

I buy most of mine at Kroger. I try to watch for sales...something in the $1.99 to $2.99 per lb. range. I will but 2 or 3 and put them in the freezer.
Since I have a smoker with a fire box, I usually try to regulate the temperatue to about 250-275. Put it on at midnight with mesquite charcoal and mesquite wood (sometimes Pecan) and watch the fire at 2AM and at 4AM mop the meat each time with a simple mopping sauce. At 4, I double wrap in aluminum foil and switch to cheap charcoal in the fire box. I usually take the meat off around 6:30 to 7AM and leave it while I go play golf...threatening anyone who unwraps it with certain death.
I like doing briskets in the winter time because the temperature is easier to regulate. Doing them in the summer when the temperature inside the smoker is already 90+* from sitting out in the sun makes it hard to keep the temperature down when smoking.
I like to have a movie or something recorded I want to watch when I do a brisket. Have a little single malt Scotch along the way...watch a movie, nap a little, wake up, start the process all over. :)

I'm curious when the last time you bought some was? The prices have soared in 2014 for the cut and article after article has been featured on Google about it.

Hopefully they get back down to those rates soon though.

Well, have to admit...I bought 4 at the end of 2013 and have not bought any recently. Geez, I better start looking for sales. Prices of all beef have gone up consistently since major corn production usage was switched to Ethanol.

Going to smoke a salmon tomorrow, will add some pictures when I do it, my mouth is already watering thinking about it

Well, just looked at Costco website. a 55# case of brisket is $3.92 per lb. That is a lot of brisket but if the prices are out of sight for single briskets, may well be worth buying. Going in the freezer anyway.
Have any of you done a shoulder clod instead of a brisket. They are pretty good also. Actually, my cooking team usually does the clod for sponsor nights along with steak.

Well, have to admit...I bought 4 at the end of 2013 and have not bought any recently. Geez, I better start looking for sales. Prices of all beef have gone up consistently since major corn production usage was switched to Ethanol.

Yeah, unless I am buying over 30 lbs, I have not seen much quality stuff under 5 bucks a pound.

Do you like salmon? Have you tried doing one yet?

Yeah, unless I am buying over 30 lbs, I have not seen much quality stuff under 5 bucks a pound.

I love it raw as well. I only smoke it at 225 for about 30 minutes, it is really good that way, for those of us that look raw or rare fish

Raw I love salmon.
Cooked, its the only fish I am not a fan of.

Fire going for 30 minutes and holding at 250 deg this brisket is ready to go in

6 am in the egg

Going to smoke a salmon tomorrow, will add some pictures when I do it, my mouth is already watering thinking about it

Did you put it in a brine first?

I'm gonna try and do beef ribs this weekend, have any of you tried them and if so how did they come out?

I'm gonna try and do beef ribs this weekend, have any of you tried them and if so how did they come out?

Im not a beef ribs guy, so can't help you.

I've done beef ribs once. I'm not a fan of them either. So I can't really help.

Just be careful and don't over cook them or they will be way too dry. I like beef ribs but I am the only one at my house who does like them.

Here's my brisket. Came out perfect. Just in time for the playoff games.

IMAG1157_zpsnszeskds.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious Barry !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking slab of meat there Barry!
Looks tasty!

Mine came out great, didn't get the slice pic. Fork tender and nice and moist.

Looks good man. Did you inject in?

Nope, just rubbed it the day before and wrapped it tight with cling wrap. right at 11 hrs to get to 200 deg. at 250- 280 deg. used up all the Charcoal right at the end and started losing heat or I would have left it another 30 minutes. (and we were ready to eat)

This is the end result of me trying JB's Dr Pepper/crock pot recipe for pulled pork sandwiches. It was good and it was easy to make. I was probably a little too cautious with the dry rub, as the finished product could have used a little more oomph. We added slaw for some texture

aa4ff3f7a8c33d6f5625bae33205cae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back