BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

I went and got a cheap digital probe (not ideal, but something), this monster brisket has me worried. Having done quite few in the 8 lb range this 14 lb is new territory for me and hate to mess it up.

After some trimming of the excessive hard fat might be down to 12-13 lbs but still should take 14 -16 hrs at 210-225.

Going with the texas method

I went and got a cheap digital probe (not ideal, but something), this monster brisket has me worried. Having done quite few in the 8 lb range this 14 lb is new territory for me and hate to mess it up.

After some trimming of the excessive hard fat might be down to 12-13 lbs but still should take 14 -16 hrs at 210-225.

Going with the texas method

On bigger briskets is it ‘acceptable’ practice to separate the flat from the point and treat them separately during the cook?

Well I didn't want to do that, just because I wanted to try the whole thing and see if it comes out better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well I didn't want to do that, just because I wanted to try the whole thing and see if it comes out better.

Oh no, I get that. Just didn’t know if others did that.

As admittedly not all that big of an expert, I know what I like and the best brisket I have ever ate was in Austin and I really think it was Franklin's, which was by accident since I was just looking for BBQ place.

I fell like this thread should be retitled to outdoor kitchen and food thread because we have pizza, grilling and everything.

It’s a fun one.

Tonight GG and I are doing dry aged burgers we got from a local place.

On bigger briskets is it ‘acceptable’ practice to separate the flat from the point and treat them separately during the cook?

I tried this method the last time and it worked out great. I smoked the whole brisket, then I separated them (point, flat) and turned them back into the smoker. I made burnt ends with the point. This is the recipe that I followed for this method.

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/smoked-barbecue-brisket/

The greatest grilling tool known to mankind

f8668cc9a83f3abb9c5dfe695280c172.jpg

Picked up a pork butt and a boneless beef chuck roast to smoke over the next couple of days. This thread has gotten the juices flowing again...:)

Picked up a pork butt and a boneless beef chuck roast to smoke over the next couple of days. This thread has gotten the juices flowing again...:)

Love it. You going to do the chuck Roast like a brisket?

Love it. You going to do the chuck Roast like a brisket?

Yup! Pretty much exactly like a brisket and sliced thin when completed. Should be tasty!

Dry aged burgers are on

55043055eade9e233133cbbf255cfe16.jpg

Grill Grates give such a great sear on the pellet grill. They hit 550 degrees on the grate when we put them on and the regular grill was at 435.

e81db8f095f6a32bc2fe623eecddc476.jpg

I tried this method the last time and it worked out great. I smoked the whole brisket, then I separated them (point, flat) and turned them back into the smoker. I made burnt ends with the point. This is the recipe that I followed for this method.

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/smoked-barbecue-brisket/
I have used chef Tom's methods before and really think this is pretty simple to do. The burnt ends with the point are great by the way.

I have never done it before actually cooking. I am not an expert butcher, I find with it partially cooked it separates very easily.

Doing some impromptu baby backs right now with some burgers and brats for later. Going to do these ribs fast as I slept in this AM lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Have 12 people over at my house and the pulled pork and brisket were both big hits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s going down now.

0b836a0e827eeb5e45aa1ace8c95d7cc.jpg

RecTec 475 degrees 15-20 minutes

It’s going down now.

0b836a0e827eeb5e45aa1ace8c95d7cc.jpg

RecTec 475 degrees 15-20 minutes

Looks amazing Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasted as good as it looks. Everyone said they preferred it to ordering out pizza. That makes me happy.

4ddd86656b5be1605c1ce74481715ffa.jpg

That’s a great feeling. Is that the highest temp the grill goes out of curiosity?

500. Should I go all the way next time?

Oh I dont know. I was just curious.

To me, pizza on the smoker is a great idea, but I would use a stone and go as hot as you can.
Im the wrong guy to ask though, as we use the pizza oven and cook at 750, so different techniques there.

The only thing that matters is taste. For quick cheat, buy some Naan at the grocery store. Top it with your toppings and throw it on the grill for awesome flatbreads.

Oh I dont know. I was just curious.

To me, pizza on the smoker is a great idea, but I would use a stone and go as hot as you can.
Im the wrong guy to ask though, as we use the pizza oven and cook at 750, so different techniques there.

The only thing that matters is taste. For quick cheat, buy some Naan at the grocery store. Top it with your toppings and throw it on the grill for awesome flatbreads.

Got ya. Had 6 of those that went at the same time. I do have a stone but not worth using here.

We did use the Naan bread and was great!

Back