BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know we have some threads that have some of this but most falls into the grilling thread. Since it is different we thought it would be a good idea to have it's own thread.

I use the Kamado Joe for my smoking and bbq.

13919824df87fc255b6c01688395622f.jpg

Here it is getting ready

816a5c8c6ebb5c58738ca2320cf4b0e2.jpg

Here are ribs from last week.

8c1a06f85c2735bbd0f9e805888d6d7c.jpg

Here are the two Boston butts going on tonight

109d073f9da86e9f0839a73e41bd49d1.jpg

JB, what blend you using for the rub on the butts?

• Admin
JB, what blend you using for the rub on the butts?

We use a lot of different things. Homemade, store bought, etc.
These two have Arthur Bryants on them and it is a solid store bought rub.

JB, those ribs look absolutely incredible.

• Admin
And they just went on. Roughly 2 hours per pound later and we should have gold.

edf9d3adaf583ee47f0d055857bf25de.jpg

Looking good JB! Can't beat Arthur Bryants rub, that's really good. Oklahoma Joes (Now called Joes Kansas City BBQ ) makes a rub called "The Squeal Hog Rub" you can buy online, that's really good too.

As much as I enjoy doing a nice butt my favorite thing to do is a brisket and love making homemade bacon. 10 day cure on the pork belly but so worth it, you will never buy bacon from a store after you cure and smoke your own pork belly.

Nice looking rig JB those are going to be great.

Those look fantastic!

For those looking to learn all the ins and outs of BBQ, this site is incredible:

www.amazingribs.com

It's the THP of BBQ (ok, not really, but the depth and breadth of info is similar)

I have no affiliation with them - just a fan. That site has completely changed everything I thought I knew about BBQ. Some highlights:

• You must have a good instant read thermometer. Guessing based on firmness, time, etc. is impossible to get right consistently
  • the temp gauges in the lids of most BBQ's are useless. A grate thermometer that tells you the actual temp where the meat is cooking is essential
  • Steaks are best cut 1.5" thick, cooked low and slow (225) and then finished with a sear
  • Butterflying a bird (cutting the back out and flattening it) is, hands down, the best way to do a turkey

There are tons more. the "Big Bad Beef Rub" is great as is "Meatheads Glop" and "Memphis Dust" (for pork butts).

Again, JB, what you have there looks awesome. I love how those butts look like meteorites when finished and the crust is unbelievable.

9e0c5c0a891782d22f7e9517d272f13a.jpg

We ended up having the same idea afterall :)

Fat cap on or off Shane?

Fat cap on or off Shane?
Its oon josh. I did both sides for about an hour with out the pan to got the burnt ends, now in the pan fat cap up for about 4 more hours. Then a pork tenderloin going on next.

yours looks excellent

You had me at "BBQ"

Its oon josh. I did both sides for about an hour with out the pan to got the burnt ends, now in the pan fat cap up for about 4 more hours. Then a pork tenderloin going on next.

yours looks excellent

Yeah I do fat cap on bottom for an hour and then on top for the next 7 hours or so. Then I cut it off before the pulling begins.

Fat cap on or off Shane?

fat cap should always be off. That way, there is more crust to eat!

the 'make the meat more moist' is a myth, it appears.

fat cap should always be off. That way, there is more crust to eat!

the 'make the meat more moist' is a myth, it appears.
I always do fat cap on. I habe done meats without fat cap and it is not as good, might be a myth but taste buds say its not :)

2 hours in. Looking at 235 and going strong.

59a0f1dffdba8d9cbcaee87e7429929b.jpg

e170c07c44bbd919a22a4be7aed3f08d.jpg

Damn JB. You're coking up some awesome stuff of late.

The more protein less carbs eating plan going well so far?

Damn JB. You're coking up some awesome stuff of late.

The more protein less carbs eating plan going well so far?

It is for me, but its a binge thing to get where I need to be. Not a lifestyle for this guy.
Just love BBQ though and this combined with some sausage is going to be incredibe.

It is for me, but its a binge thing to get where I need to be. Not a lifestyle for this guy.
Just love BBQ though and this combined with some sausage is going to be incredibe.

Cool I'm right there with you on the love of BBQ.

I always do fat cap on. I habe done meats without fat cap and it is not as good, might be a myth but taste buds say its not :)

I'm a bit of a scientist when it comes to this stuff, so your better experience with it on vs. off could be just due to that particular piece of meat.

Here's the explanation:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_fat_caps.html

"Fat will not migrate into the muscle as it is cooked. First of all, the molecules are too large to squeeze in. Second, fat is mostly oil. The red stuff in meat is muscle and it is mostly water. Oil and water don't mix. Protein in muscle is also immiscible in fat because of its chemical configuration. Third, in most cases there is an anatomical barrier between muscle and fat cap, namely, a layer of connective tissue holding muscle groups together. It too is water based."
The AmazingRibs.com science advisor Dr. Greg Blonder adds a fourth reason: "Raw meat is like a protein sponge. Before it is cooked it is fully saturated with water. There's no room for the fat to go in. As the meat cooks, water-based juices are being expelled from the interior. No way fat can swim upstream."

regardless, the crust is the best part of a slow-cooked butt or similar cut...leaving the cap on takes away 30-40% of the surface area. less crusty bits with the most flavor.

disclaimer: the above quote could be utter bull$****, for all I know; I'm no scientist. However, I just like the crust and will do anything to rationalize more of it!

I'm a fan of fat=flavour.

I'm a bit of a scientist when it comes to this stuff, so your better experience with it on vs. off could be just due to that particular piece of meat.

Here's the explanation:

Keep in mind that that is one man's observation and studies.
There have been places that have "myth busted" searing meat too, but it tastes better to some.

Then add that others cook with it on, then remove it and the bones and make stock with it because of the amazing flavor.

That is the beauty of the "que", and why I dont care for the site you linked earlier. I find it very black or white and frankly there are just too many gray areas...including every single cut of meat, every single grill and even the slightest change in weather in some instances can all change a cook.

For all the science of it not allowing fat to soak in, flavor through aroma and other things do happen. Wrap something in bacon and tell me that none of the fat or flavor gets in the meat.

Agreed. I get an idea and try it then modify it to more of my tastes. I personally have stopped using hickory or mesquite because I find the smoke flavour to be too strong. Pecan, cherry, apple, peach wood only for me or for salmon I like to use wine barrel staves.

Here's the explanation:

regardless, the crust is the best part of a slow-cooked butt or similar cut...leaving the cap on takes away 30-40% of the surface area. less crusty bits with the most flavor.

disclaimer: the above quote could be utter bull$****, for all I know; I'm no scientist. However, I just like the crust and will do anything to rationalize more of it!
I have done hundreds of these of for me fat cap on is better, my taste buds done like science :)

can't argue with personal beliefs..

in the end, more BBQ! Stuff looks great, JB.

Back