BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Have ran into a dreaded stall. This chicken was not getting over 165. I've pulled it off the smoker and now have it in the oven to try to finish him off for the last 15 minutes. Its 36 degrees out tonight and I think the lower temps were a challenge for the little heating element in my electric smoker.
The plateau is the worst.
Just smoked a Turkey today.
Looking good.

Came out absolutely amazing, I was very proud of myself with this. So tender and flavorful.

imagejpg1_zps8c415215.jpg

imagejpg2_zps6ef7542b.jpg

Heck yeah jitzy. Looking good.

Here it's the finished product. Came out great, even with the stall and having to finish in the oven. Breasts and wings were at good temp out of the smoker, but legs and thighs were where the lower temps were. Meat was tender and juicy.
IMAG1150_zpsgij0b1eu.jpg

Nice job guys. Looks like there was some good eatin yesterday, and probably plenty of leftovers for today.

Got a new smoker for Christmas. Really hope I can start contributing to this thread.

Going to smoke some ribs this weekend!!!

Can anyone school me on the basics... I have never really put my hand in on smoking anything. Ribs and BBQ are the main things I will dabble in.

Got a new smoker for Christmas. Really hope I can start contributing to this thread.

Can anyone school me on the basics... I have never really put my hand in on smoking anything. Ribs and BBQ are the main things I will dabble in.

What type of smoker did you get?
What questions do you have?

Anyone here using a UDS (Ugly drum smoker)? I have one but haven't used it in a few years and my question is this... Do I need to do anything before reusing it? Like maybe do another burnout or clean out or anything? I'm thinking maybe bring up the heat to 450 or so for a bit and I'd be good to go. Any thoughts?

A few things I like to do for ribs.
1. Remove membrane
2. lightly coat with Worcestershire (this helps hydrate dry spices and lets the flavour develop)
3. Be generous with your rub if you buy it great if you make your own even better.
4. I like to use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours of smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, 1 hour bone down.
5. Sauce with about 20-30 minutes left on your cook
6. Keep smoker between 225/235
7. Drink an adult beverage and wait.

What kind of smoker do you have?

Anyone here using a UDS (Ugly drum smoker)? I have one but haven't used it in a few years and my question is this... Do I need to do anything before reusing it? Like maybe do another burnout or clean out or anything? I'm thinking maybe bring up the heat to 450 or so for a bit and I'd be good to go. Any thoughts?

I don't know how long or where it's been sitting but you may want to sanitize it and season it again.

I don't know how long or where it's been sitting but you may want to sanitize it and season it again.

It's been stored in the garage. What do you mean sanitize? With a cleaner/ degreaser? Also, Are you referring to cleaning the inside of the drum or grates? The grates are fine, I was just concerned with the inside of the drum. I did season it originally when I built it and put about a half dozen cooks on it. I like the UDS and it cooks like a champ... What I don't like about it is cleaning it out due to it's depth. I'm seriously considering a WSM or the Kamado/ BGE type of cooker. I already have a large propane BBQ for big family type cooks and a Weber Baby-Q for the smaller stuff but I really do miss the smoker.

Got THIS for Christmas! A great addition to the BBQ tool box!
1601547_10152999664799430_4418286893779031330_n_zps8a8e1f9a.jpg

It's been stored in the garage. What do you mean sanitize? With a cleaner/ degreaser? Also, Are you referring to cleaning the inside of the drum or grates? The grates are fine, I was just concerned with the inside of the drum. I did season it originally when I built it and put about a half dozen cooks on it. I like the UDS and it cooks like a champ... What I don't like about it is cleaning it out due to it's depth. I'm seriously considering a WSM or the Kamado/ BGE type of cooker. I already have a large propane BBQ for big family type cooks and a Weber Baby-Q for the smaller stuff but I really do miss the smoker.

If it was just in the garage you should be fine. I would still run it hot for an hour or so just to cook out any dust or just go get a new Komado or smokey mountain.

GG and I hit up a local butcher shop that was really nice. Picked up some beautiful baby backs and some other things and then hit up an old fashioned german sausage factory for a few others.

Ribs got rubbed today and will go on the grill tomorrow morning. A half rack for each of us to go along with some jerk chicken that we have marinating. Good dinner coming tomorrow night.

This is my smoker

A few things I like to do for ribs.
1. Remove membrane
2. lightly coat with Worcestershire (this helps hydrate dry spices and lets the flavour develop)
3. Be generous with your rub if you buy it great if you make your own even better.
4. I like to use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours of smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, 1 hour bone down.
5. Sauce with about 20-30 minutes left on your cook
6. Keep smoker between 225/235
7. Drink an adult beverage and wait.

What kind of smoker do you have?
I like that except for the sauce, i hate to ruin a good rib with sauce

Lookin' good rickkimbrell!

Baby backs are rubbed from yesterday and going on for dinner tonight.

4b4fb12557d1623e49100ebc07c4680b.jpg

Received a Big Green Egg for Xmas, putting it together today. going to try something easy today like some burgers and brats.

Received a Big Green Egg for Xmas, putting it together today. going to try something easy today like some burgers and brats.

Nice. Kamado grills are just insanely awesome.

How much food can you do on a Komado? When I have a BBQ I like a brisket a butt and 4 racks of ribs. Can a Komado fit all that?

How much food can you do on a Komado? When I have a BBQ I like a brisket a butt and 4 racks of ribs. Can a Komado fit all that?

They come in all different sizes, so absolutely. Especially with expander racks and such.

The reason they are so loved is their ability to hold tight temperatures for long periods of time. Then add the ability to cook low and slow or get to nearly 1000 degrees in the same equipment. This way you have a smoker, a grill and a pizza oven all in one.

They come in all different sizes, so absolutely. Especially with expander racks and such.

The reason they are so loved is their ability to hold tight temperatures for long periods of time. Then add the ability to cook low and slow or get to nearly 1000 degrees in the same equipment. This way you have a smoker, a grill and a pizza oven all in one.

I agree they are nice and versatile and easy to use. I was really impressed with my dads when I was using it over the holidays but for a big BBQ it didn't look like it could hold enough meat and I'm usually drawn to a nice offset smoker.

Back