BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

How are the seals on that and what kind is it.

The style is most commonly referred to as a Hondo or Uvalde style smoker. I have had it for 21 years. Every couple of years I have to pull it in the garage, clean up and respray the outside. That picture was taken 2 years ago right before I moved. It was made by a welding company in Uvalde Texas out of pipe and steel plate. The lid is so heavy that when you close it, no real need to worry about smoke leakage. There are places all around Houston that sell a much lighter weight version of them for about what I paid for mine years ago. They were $399 in Houston when I bought mine. I was hunting in West Texas and drove back and forth thru Uvalde all the time. I paid $100 less. I saw one at a Buc-ee's "convenience" store just recently and it was $999.
BTW, check out Buc-ee's. This is a Texas convenience store chain with the cleanest restrooms in the state. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlPMSAqfcZk

These are looking heavenly

597b5245f7920ad96469870d0bdbad6f.jpg

Got mine put together, not too big a deal for 1 person.

Good lord those might have been the best baby backs we have done to date. The butcher shop beats grocery store every time

JB how long to cook? I might just go that route tomorrow, love some ribs and those look excellent

JB how long to cook? I might just go that route tomorrow, love some ribs and those look excellent
I did these for about 5 hours at 235. Rub on the night before and used heat deflector plate as well as a drip pan.

Filled kamado with lump and 2 chunks of pecan wood.

d5b3f01914a14eb905ab548b25062098.jpg

Rubbed overnight, smoking with pecan wood.

Had some early temp spikes that took a bit to get under control. Hanging out now at about 270, which is a little higher than I'd like but it's a lot better than the 330 I had earlier.

Looking good.
270 should be fine for the most part.
Question, your heat deflector plate looks like it does not cover the entire thing. Is the opening there on purpose?

Looking good.
270 should be fine for the most part.
Question, your heat deflector plate looks like it does not cover the entire thing. Is the opening there on purpose?

Sitting at 268 right now, that should be fine.

About that plate: it's a Kamado Joe half moon deflector plate, but I don't have the divide and conquer rack for it. The company I bought it from said try it without it, you can always order one. I figure it's worth a try once to see if I have any issues.

Thinking I may want to order it, if anything for the ability to have different temp areas

Did some Italian sausage and brats 1st then some burgers for football food. Need to get used to the cooking times, but came out real tasty. Burgers were very juicy. Next weekend is a brisket and small turkey.

Not really BBQ as much as grilling but we have had these 4 chicken breasts marinating for 36 hours or so in Jamaican Jerk seasoning and sauce. These monsters are going to be impressive.

d3e3321690aaa18d79bb011753a5aaea.jpg

Those are some giant chicken breasts.

I'm sitting about 10 degrees shy of target temp, I should be good to go on about an hour

Those are some giant chicken breasts.

I'm sitting about 10 degrees shy of target temp, I should be good to go on about an hour
Biggest I have seen. Local butcher in countryside that is fantastic.

Biggest I have seen. Local butcher in countryside that is fantastic.

They're almost as big as some potatoes. That's awesome.

99d7b663b51474c6694d728658438bbd.jpg

Getting close!

Almost done

ec83796cf5e3284f643153027c04f772.jpg

And complete

37929a0a3d6475e9ca2a341773ed2a9e.jpg

First go with my smoker. Doing a beer can chicken with a chipotle rub under the skin and in the cavity. Fresh chicken from the West Side Market here in Cleveland. Hopefully it turns out ok.

Damn why oh why did I come in this thread! Sitting here in the car. Lee's driving and I keep asking what we're going to do about food lol.

Wardy that looks awesome!

JB, nicely done dude, how well did the Jerk getting to chicken? Do you find that with Chicken if you bring it up to room temp the day your going to cook it helps it absorb and break down like beef?

How does it taste?

Freakin fantastic. The sauce with like 15 to go made it caramelize a little bit, so it created that nice sticky sauce taste. It didn't need much extra sauce though when done. Shoulda bought more pork too.

Glad you are enjoying the grill brother.

I'm so glad I ate dinner before reading the past toe pages here. You guys are killing it with those grills/smokers

I'm so glad I ate dinner before reading the past toe pages here. You guys are killing it with those grills/smokers

Toe pages...I didn't realize we went into podiatry here on THP....:)

Back