BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Damn that looks 10x better than the sausage I cooked in the frying pan this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty darn good. Im still in love with the buffalo and bleu cheese chicken sausage from fresh market, but haven't been over there this week to pick more up.

I mean from the looks of that there is no need for a side dish. In the same boat as I need to get over to the market in Fairlawn that has a great selection of fresh meats.

I did a 9 lb pork butt on the Rectec Sunday night. Worked it so it went 15 hrs and then 4 hours in the cooler.

It was excellent with my wife's spicy cole slaw!

IMG-8289.jpg

Snake River Farms has 15% off brisket ending today. I just ordered one to throw in my freezer that I'll plan on smoking in the next month.

Im gonna have to try my hand at some korean bbq ribs. A friend made some last friday and now Im in love!

Just got my new pit boss smoker. Smoking some pork butt this weekend I'll keep yall updated

Congrats on the new smoker. Post up some pics of your cooks

d4411e6323e994f92a97f869bae770bb.jpg
d39e21ccd44902032757f92c9733f64a.jpg
9c4fc0247a8105d91840e34a842489c5.jpg

Made some salmon candy today. Glazed with cayenne maple syrup.

Made some salmon candy today. Glazed with cayenne maple syrup.

That looks fantastic! I have been taking a break from the smoker. When I started it the other day for some steaks, it was 146 before it ignited! It has been difficult to keep under 225.

smoked some shrimp tonight, 10 minutes at 300 degrees...first time, not sure why, it was excellent.

just light cover of olive oil and homemade rub. Used Franks hot sauce on some. Cant decide which was better, we liked them both

Shrimp.jpg

Shrimp-1.jpg

Question for the pellet smoker owners, do you think they generate enough smoke?

When I first started with the pellet smoker, I didn’t think there was enough smoke, but I was coming from a charcoal smoker. I bought a pellet tube off of Amazon for when I want extra smoke, but I have found most people prefer the more subtle smoke flavor on the pellet grill over the sometimes overpowering charcoal flavor from my last smoker.

I don't have an issue with not enough smoke. There are some smokers on the market now that have a low heat/high smoke setting which I don't have on mine, but as oumagic said you want a nice subtle flavor. Plus if you smoke a brisket or something that takes hours, you won't have an issue with not enough smoke getting into the meat.

When I first started with the pellet smoker, I didn’t think there was enough smoke, but I was coming from a charcoal smoker. I bought a pellet tube off of Amazon for when I want extra smoke, but I have found most people prefer the more subtle smoke flavor on the pellet grill over the sometimes overpowering charcoal flavor from my last smoker.

I second everything here. They don't generate a ton of smoke flavor, not like a stick burner one, but like mentioned above, most people (myself included) do not like that overwhelming smoke flavor. I have been told the smoke tubes work great, and of course the type of pellets you use will alter the flavor as well.

I second everything here. They don't generate a ton of smoke flavor, not like a stick burner one, but like mentioned above, most people (myself included) do not like that overwhelming smoke flavor. I have been told the smoke tubes work great, and of course the type of pellets you use will alter the flavor as well.

Thank you. I am thinking I need to give one of these a try. I have been on the fence for about a year.

Agree with all they said also. I bought a smoke tube and used it for awhile, and found out it wasn't worth the effort. Been pellet smoking for 3.5 years and we love it.

Friends don't let friends buy Traegers :bulgy-eyes:

Check a Traeger site and see how many former Rectec owners are there and vice versa :golf2:

Agree with all they said also. I bought a smoke tube and used it for awhile, and found out it wasn't worth the effort. Been pellet smoking for 3.5 years and we love it.

Friends don't let friends buy Traegers :bulgy-eyes:

Check a Traeger site and see how many former Rectec owners are there and vice versa :golf2:

Hahah keep in mind there are literally millions more Traeger users than RecTec so of course any list will look like that. It would be like saying “I see more Taylormade clubs in the used bin than Hammer X drivers so it must not be as good”. Well yeah they outsell them 100,000 to 1 of course you see more Taylormade.

I love my Traeger Timberline 850 and know numerous people that love their Traeger grills. If I were in the market today, I am not sure I would buy a Traeger, but it wouldn’t be due to quality, it would be due to price. I feel that there are pellet grills that would work just as well for less money.

I love my Traeger Timberline 850 and know numerous people that love their Traeger grills. If I were in the market today, I am not sure I would buy a Traeger, but it wouldn’t be due to quality, it would be due to price. I feel that there are pellet grills that would work just as well for less money.

This is how I feel. I like the Traeger too, but my Grilla is actually better with temp control and it's cheaper. There are so many great options out there now, including Traeger, it's just nice to have the choices.

I agree with this, not that I don't like my traeger, I love it...but I think for the money we spent maybe could have gotten a bigger model somewhere else? Maybe more bells? I don't know, I was recently pricing for a friend and it seems the pricing is coming closer in line, that's what it appeared on surface anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

I agree with this, not that I don't like my traeger, I love it...but I think for the money we spent maybe could have gotten a bigger model somewhere else? Maybe more bells? I don't know, I was recently pricing for a friend and it seems the pricing is coming closer in line, that's what it appeared on surface anyway.

I happened to know a Traeger brand ambassador at the time and did not have to pay retail on mine. I think if I had paid the full retail price for mine, I would not be 100% satisfied with the purchase. If I ignore the price, I love it, but it is impossible to take the price out of the equation when one makes a big purchase.

I am the same with new golf equipment. I have a hard time being 100% satisfied when I buy new and expensive equipment. I may have a 70% approval rating with a $600 driver and the same driver would be 100% approval if I paid $350.

I happened to know a Traeger brand ambassador at the time and did not have to pay retail on mine. I think if I had paid the full retail price for mine, I would not be 100% satisfied with the purchase. If I ignore the price, I love it, but it is impossible to take the price out of the equation when one makes a big purchase.

I am the same with new golf equipment. I have a hard time being 100% satisfied when I buy new and expensive equipment. I may have a 70% approval rating with a $600 driver and the same driver would be 100% approval if I paid $350.
Similar to my experience, they were opening a Costco close to house and they had a size I was interested in at like $200 off so I panic bought without really researching. Still enjoy the heck out of it and have no regrets.

My next model (whenever that is) will be a big model of some kind. I need more space.

Doing three racks of baby backs for the fam today, using Meat Church on all three for the first time, The Gospel on one of them and Honey Hog on the other two.

Back