The Red Wine Thread

I really like Sienna too. A few months ago I was finding it for $16 and it has gone up to $20 but I still pick it up once in a while.

I remember when Sienna was over $30 and about a decade ago, I saw it at $25, and thought "Wow!"

I see a lot of Pinot Noir on here, so I thought I might add my two cents. I completed my WSET Level 2 exam last year and currently have about 100 bottles in my cellar, 85% of that is red wine. My favorites are Cabernet, Pinot Noir, Merlot and Bordeaux blends, but I have a good numer of other red varieties as well.
If you're looking for under $50 high quality wines, here are three of my current favorite Pinot's: Cristom from Willamette Valley, Melville Santa Rita Hills and Brewer-Clifton Santa Rita Hills. All are quite good.

Saturday Night. :eek:

898DD2BF-D4D3-4DA8-B4B6-72BFF6A28AB2.jpeg

Really really good blend

5214CA2F-1679-4358-AD67-FA14ABA2BE65.jpeg69D1E8C8-3745-4FD1-9198-E669FC05F4EC.jpeg

Anyone serving up anything special this Thanksgiving?

Anyone serving up anything special this Thanksgiving?

Going through my boxes of wine now... Pinot Noir, maybe a Riesling, and a Sparkler

you or someone else got hit. It was in what appeared to be a different language with a link. 🤣🤣
I got it. May have been in Russian, but I’m pretty sure he got the hint with my, “I must break you” quote.

Larkmead makes great juice but I think they have priced me out.

Dinner at Lopez Legacy in The Villages.

093DBA6A-1AC9-4FD7-AA61-CEFDD504A882.jpeg

Anything that is a Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley (Oregon) is great.

Cloudline on the low end is very good. I always have some in the MtlJeff household.

I usually mix that in with some more expensive ones. But Cloudline is a staple for when like my parents come over and stuff.

I had Domaine Serene recently on the higher end--was quite good

I am in a Pinot Noir rut. Can’t even drink Cab, unless you twist my arm. Hah

I enjoy red wine and drink it regularly, but I don't have a sophisticated enough palate to expound on it.

However, there is one thing that I discovered about red wines grapes.
Although they're a lot smaller in actual size, they are much better tasting to eat than actual table grapes.
Walking through Northern Californa vinyards on a tour, I decided to risk the pesticides and snap a bunch of two off the vines to eat.

They were absolutely delicious.

I enjoy red wine and drink it regularly, but I don't have a sophisticated enough palate to expound on it.

However, there is one thing that I discovered about red wines grapes.
Although they're a lot smaller in actual size, they are much better tasting to eat than actual table grapes.
Walking through Northern Californa vinyards on a tour, I decided to risk the pesticides and snap a bunch of two off the vines to eat.

They were absolutely delicious.

Interesting comment. The thing about wine grapes is that they are allowed to become much riper than most grapes meant for the table. Table grapes are harvested earlier for several reasons. One is the sugar/acid balance in the grapes. Another is their appearance. You can have some shriveled up nasty looking wine grapes going in the crusher and who would know? I did the same thing at Cakebread when we were in the Napa Valley one August. Wow!

Going through my boxes of wine now... Pinot Noir, maybe a Riesling, and a Sparkler

I agree with the riesling choice, especially a dry riesling. I brought a Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia Valley Dry Riesling because I thought the flavors would go well with turkey and gravy. I also brought a Duckhorn Decoy Chardonnay just for a different taste experience. the dry riesling knocked it out of the park. I don't know, maybe even a sweet riesling would work, but my preference is for dry.

Even more, my preference for a dry riesling would be from the Alsace region of France, or the Clare Valley of Australia. Try finding those in Youngstown, Ohio! Yeah, right!

1A9344CF-4F25-4843-BC06-A5BC32941020.jpeg
Pretty solid cab here for the price

A lot of you guys are listing Kalifornica wines,.. some of them are good and ok... but if you want to step up your wine tastes , try the Reds from Walla Walla Washington... best red wines in USA come from there. :love::ROFLMAO::unsure::eek:;)

Interesting comment. The thing about wine grapes is that they are allowed to become much riper than most grapes meant for the table. Table grapes are harvested earlier for several reasons. One is the sugar/acid balance in the grapes. Another is their appearance. You can have some shriveled up nasty looking wine grapes going in the crusher and who would know? I did the same thing at Cakebread when we were in the Napa Valley one August. Wow!

I agree with the riesling choice, especially a dry riesling. I brought a Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia Valley Dry Riesling because I thought the flavors would go well with turkey and gravy. I also brought a Duckhorn Decoy Chardonnay just for a different taste experience. the dry riesling knocked it out of the park. I don't know, maybe even a sweet riesling would work, but my preference is for dry.

Even more, my preference for a dry riesling would be from the Alsace region of France, or the Clare Valley of Australia. Try finding those in Youngstown, Ohio! Yeah, right!

Ended going with a WesMar Pinot Noir and Bedrock Wine that is similar in flavor to Viognier, and another field red from a 2016 Bedrock. My first and almost last time with WesMar since they sold the winery. Not enough depth for me, still young as a 2018 but I decanted for about 4 hrs. Everyone liked it. All 3 were gone.

I kept the dry Rieslings for the next holiday. I have about four from Bedrock.

I think dry riesling is very much under appreciated in this country, as are several outstanding wine growing regions around the globe, including the two I mentioned, the Alsace of France, and the Clare Valley of Australia. I remember the first time I tasted a Clare Valley dry riesling. An Aussie wine maker was touring the states and we were hosting him. and hi opened his remarks this way. "I come over here, and see all these people drinking sauvignon blanc!" Pronounced so-VIN-yon blonk. "Sauvignon Blanc is a bloody weed! At least riesling is a noble varietal!"

This hearkened me back to my early days of learning about wine. One of the first things I learned were that there were five noble varietals. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Riesling. I'll take a good riesling over suvignon blanc any time!

Last edited:
I think dry riesling is very much under appreciated in this country, as are several outstanding wine growing regions around the globe, including the two I mentioned, the Alsace of France, and the Clare Valley of Australia. I remember the first time I tasted a Clare Valley dry riesling. An Aussie wine maker was touring the states and we were hosting him. and hi opened his remarks this way. "I come over here, and see all these people drinking sauvignon blanc!" Pronounced so-VIN-yon blonk. "Sauvignon Blanc is a bloody weed! At least riesling is a noble varietal!"

This hearkened me back to my early days of learning about wine. One of the first things I learned were that there were five noble varietals. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Riesling. I'll take a good riesling or suvignon blanc any time!

Not big on Sauvignon Blanc - I opened one last week to put in Risotto. That's how I use it, as a cooking wine. I also prefer a dry or off-dry Riesling. It's how I like a Vouvray - dry/off-dry, although the aged sweet is quite succulent. I started buying Chardonnay again to see if they are doing more or less with it. Haven't opened any, just letting it settle. Picked up some Occidental and Littorai Pinot but haven't opened it up. Too young

Back