The Red Wine Thread

The under $25 bottle is tough and as someone who drinks his fair share of bottles per week I know. If I’m staying cheap then I go red blend that is heavy petite Shirah and merlot. Some good under 25’s - Freakshow, Pessimist and Quilt Red Blend. If you throw in $10 buy a case of Abstract and have a blast - I’m long on Orin Swift

Had a few glasses of Malbec tonight at dinner with my client.

I've foudn that Malbec can be nice, as long as it doesn't get too ripe. Too Malbecy! The flavors can become so intense! I just don't know!

Is Caymus wine really good? I have heard on the THP that most people really enjoy it. They have it at Costco for i think it was $60...

Is Caymus wine really good? I have heard on the THP that most people really enjoy it. They have it at Costco for i think it was $60...
Lots of brand in the price for Caymus.

Caymus is a great Cab, nice and dry and hearty. I’ve received 3 bottles this week as gifts. Caymus also makes a red blend, I believe called 1858, that is a very nice house wine you can get at Total Wine for under $20 and buy 6 and it’s $17

Their Cab is great. I haven't tried their other reds, though.

Caymus wines are very well made, and very good. We were at the Monterey Wine Festival and were taking a restauteur from our area to "Casanova", a restaurant in Carmel by the Sea. As we are walking toward the restaurant, suddenly he burst out with "Charlie Caymus! You son of a b*tch!" Caymus spins around and yells back, "Richard!" There were hugs and handshakes, Richard introduced us all, and we complented Charlie on the quality of his wine. While we were sitting to dinner he sent a bottle of his reserve Cabernet to our table. Phenomenal!

I love really good Pinot Noir. Checked out their website, and I can find them in NE Ohio, but a smidge of a hike away. It seems obvious to me that they are being sold by a Cleveland area distributor that does not service the Youngstown/Warren area. I would dearly love to sample their Santa Lucia Mountains Pinot. I've tasted several Pinots from that appellation that were just phenomenal! And, it seems like their wines are fairly priced as well.

From Dormie Club this week. It was pricy but so good.

92F42B68-434C-4B98-9C92-4B12BF6882FE.jpeg

From Dormie Club this week. It was pricy but so good.

View attachment 9144580
Love Rioja wines - Gran Reserva or Imperial Reserva are really good! Just finished my last bottle of the Cune Imperial Reserva 2015 last night

Duck Horn Discussion is really smooth. One of my favorites.

This is better than it should be
View attachment 9144583

I really like Meiomi Pinot. Really, for the price it's hard to beat. The one that I miss from back in the day is the Gloria Ferrer Sonoma County. Back in the day I could get that for $15.99!

Cooper and thieves bourbon barrel aged red blend is a go to for me... It has a distinct flavor, you either like it or you don't though!

Cooper and thieves bourbon barrel aged red blend is a go to for me... It has a distinct flavor, you either like it or you don't though!

My friends old Italian Grandfather made wine and aged it in old whickey barrels, because he could not find, or afford, real wine barrels. The results were not outstanding!

I had an Austin Hope Pasa Robles Cab on Sunday that was just stupendous....have never had before.

It's 80$ here so not sure i'll make it a weekly thing....But man it was tasty.

Even my mom tried it and was like "this wasn't a cheap one" (Note: i have turned my mom into a wine snob)

1671503748898.png

This is better than it should be
View attachment 9144583

That's a pretty decent one yeah. It's on my list of affordable reds to keep lying around for when you have company you're lukewarm about LOL

Cloudline from Oregon is my alltime for that. A great, great wine for like 20$

1672525242095.png
Not a red wine, but really nice for tonight

Back