deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So my parents bought an Lionel electric train set for my two boys for Christmas. It's a lot of coin to drop on two toddlers who would do nothing short of destroy it the minute I left them alone with it.

It's the Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer which is a nice starter set. It's an O gauge set as well. I figure I may eventually add onto it, but outside of attaching rolling stock, and getting the FasTrack to lengthen the line, I know diddly about electric trains. Anyone have any pointers?

All I know is this looks to be one freaking expensive hobby if you start getting carried away.

I don't but love the idea, I had a scalextric as a kid and had visions of a big track loads of tunnels bridges ect and a full stadium built around it grass, trees, people a real miniature world, I'd like to see some pics when set up

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I ended up putting our Lionel away and picking up the Thomas Track Masters tracks for my 2 year old. He gets to play trains, I get to play trains, and best part is it's just cheap plastic so I don't care if he goes all Godzilla on it =)

Got to say, this hobby is more expensive than golf if you let it! Each 10" of straight track costs $5, and if you throw in a switch it adds anywhere from $50 (for a manual) to $100 (for electronic). Power supplies can run you a few hundred, and a die-cast train can run you upwards of $2000, and that's not including the rolling track the engine will pull. Not sure if my kids will take to this hobby or not, so I'm going to build a small double loop track (small is 7' by 7') table that I can lower from the ceiling of my workshop (so it doesn't get in the way of daily activities) and just run the one train that my parents bought for Christmas. If it's a hit, maybe I'll build a shed and run electricity out to it to run a larger layout ... but I'll have to not only teach myself some electrical work, but start hitting the train shows because I'm not paying full price for these trains!

My oldest son absolutely loves trains right now. I am afraid I will have to get into this hobby.

My oldest son absolutely loves trains right now. I am afraid I will have to get into this hobby.
Yeah I did a bit more looking around today. There look to be ways to do it a bit cheaper ... using trolley's (bump-n-go's on short stretches of closed track) and hand-cars, and if you look around on eBay you can find some engines for good prices. Right now, I think I'm going to do an under the Christmas tree display, using a Christmas trolley and some FasTrack. Should get the whole setup for under $100 by shopping around. Then we can transfer it to the table that we'll set up the Pennsylvania Flyer so we have to operational tracks together.

Yeah I did a bit more looking around today. There look to be ways to do it a bit cheaper ... using trolley's (bump-n-go's on short stretches of closed track) and hand-cars, and if you look around on eBay you can find some engines for good prices. Right now, I think I'm going to do an under the Christmas tree display, using a Christmas trolley and some FasTrack. Should get the whole setup for under $100 by shopping around. Then we can transfer it to the table that we'll set up the Pennsylvania Flyer so we have to operational tracks together.

Thanks for the info. You’ll have to keep us updated.

Thanks for the info. You’ll have to keep us updated.
I will. I figure if the kids don't take to these trains (the oldest LOVES his wooden train set) ... I'll have another expensive hobby to keep up with along with golf!

Picked up a trolley. I figure I'll run this under the tree for Christmas and then make a trolley run on the final layout. When it hits an obstruction (like a bumper) it reverses direction.
4db9ee7a69435edea2b0944ec52bda95.jpg

I hate Tapatalk

Not only do you need to be a millionaire to get into this hobby, you need a degree in electrical engineering. A few YouTube videos later though and I wired up myself a track. A Dremel tool comes in handy too.

And now I grabbed one of these for cheap ($20).
6-52108.jpg

I figure with two little kids, if these get destroyed, it's much easier to replace them (or forget about them) than it is a diesel that can cost up to $2000.

I've been thinking about how I was going to design the setup, and a lot of people pick something realistic. It just so happens that Florence, SC houses one of the divisions of CSX, and the "Juice Train" runs through Florence as well. So a CSX diesel and a few Tropicana refrigerated box cars are in my future!

Just about done building the train table. Need to paint (dark grey or black) and screw down the OSB board. The smaller table is for the transformers to run the setup.
7cd09ca04f97b88269022a73116a315b.jpg
43193fac779ecc6ad57eeba9e66b421a.jpg

I hate Tapatalk

Just about done building the train table. Need to paint (dark grey or black) and screw down the OSB board. The smaller table is for the transformers to run the setup.
7cd09ca04f97b88269022a73116a315b.jpg
43193fac779ecc6ad57eeba9e66b421a.jpg

I hate Tapatalk

Looking like a good start! My dad had a huge N gauge track setup when I was a kid with rivers, bridges, mountains, and such. I've always wanted to get into it but I have too many hobbies and not enough time. Maybe someday.

Table complete. Child happy. Just one loop for now. I'll add the wiring and a second full loop soon.
45df3b62e5c25ba2e04df09ef1c191a4.jpg
8fedff9518ff0bcaeccec464b5a5d44e.jpg

I just saw this thread. I have a bunch of these trains and really enjoy them. My nieces and nephew come over and we have a great time playing with them.
The O Gauge Railroading Online Forum is a terrific resource on model trains. The folks on the forum are incredibly knowledgeable and always willing to answer questions although you may get conflicting answers from time to time. The site includes a For Sale forum where you can pick up some nice stuff including track at far less than retail prices. The forum is free to join and you need to be a member to post. Introduce yourself and post a picture of that cute little guy and the members will fall all over themselves offering advice.
The initial investment to get into this hobby is kind of a shock. Once you get started you can add a little bit a time and build a fun and interesting layout without breaking the bank. Beware it can get addictive (like golf).

I just saw this thread. I have a bunch of these trains and really enjoy them. My nieces and nephew come over and we have a great time playing with them.
The O Gauge Railroading Online Forum is a terrific resource on model trains. The folks on the forum are incredibly knowledgeable and always willing to answer questions although you may get conflicting answers from time to time. The site includes a For Sale forum where you can pick up some nice stuff including track at far less than retail prices. The forum is free to join and you need to be a member to post. Introduce yourself and post a picture of that cute little guy and the members will fall all over themselves offering advice.
The initial investment to get into this hobby is kind of a shock. Once you get started you can add a little bit a time and build a fun and interesting layout without breaking the bank. Beware it can get addictive (like golf).
I think I'm finally over the "initial investment" costs ... I just hope the wife doesn't find out! I did find the OGR forum a couple months back, and have gotten some really good advice (as well as layout assistance) from them as well.

Here is a plan for the final layout. Waiting for a couple of pieces (remote switches) to arrive and then it'll be complete.
2ef5b968e776f43d6deca7531dbda81e.jpg

Superb its starting to come along now

Thanks. Yes I'm real close to doing "permanent" wiring. Just going to lay a soundproofing barrier between the table and the track (today). Then it's time to accessorize.

You should lay artificial grass under the track (if that's possible) or even cut out the outlines of the track, should help a little with noise too, its looking great so far, I imagine you have a whole host of ideas rattling around you head

It's coming along ... now to work on the elevated track.
layout.jpg

Couple of more minor wiring tasks and it's ready to run for awhile (and I expand to at least a 5 x 11 layout).

Will add a few more structures as well to fill the table up some.
1cd63381f9022d70db1b6a0a0a095c45.jpg

Our train adventure for our now 4 yr old really took off in October of last year. I went with he Thomas the train track master setup and it started with just the shaky bridge setup.....fast forward to today and now our dining room is 1 large Thomas the train setup....the dining table has since made its way to the breakfast nook and Thomas is full speed ahead! The little guy just loves it and honestly there’s no better sound than hearing a child laugh and have fun!

Put a loop around the tree. Need to get some figures and houses underneath as well. Though my youngest is now at the point where he likes to pull things off the tree. This may all be a bad combination.
b5fb0a23ce9f6a325dc2d968c938374b.jpg

Back