Exercise and Wellness

Heavy lifting...feels good.

This is important.

i have decided to commit to reducing the beer gut/dad bod i seem to have inherited. My wife and I are doing a 20 minute exercise routine at home to improve core strength. We have done 2 nights so far. Last night was the 3rd night but I traded exercise for digging a 3 foot hole in my yard...

Anyone hear the Rogan podcast with Strongman Oberst as his guest? Essentially Oberst says unless you're a training professional people shouldn't deadlift. Risk doesn't outweigh the benefits. Proceeds to support that by saying no NFL player deadlifts and instead they half clean and power clean. He was a former NFL player.

Anyone hear the Rogan podcast with Strongman Oberst as his guest? Essentially Oberst says unless you're a training professional people shouldn't deadlift. Risk doesn't outweigh the benefits. Proceeds to support that by saying no NFL player deadlifts and instead they half clean and power clean. He was a former NFL player.

It was utter stupidity and idiotic. It was an indictment on the strength and conditioning coaches in collegiate and professional weight rooms. Unfortunately, that is not how that comment is being spun, which is unfortunate.

I am of the very bold stance that if a "strength coach" cannot teach the deadlift, they should not be hired as a strength coach. It's like a doctor that can't detect a pulse.

It was utter stupidity and idiotic. It was an indictment on the strength and conditioning coaches in collegiate and professional weight rooms. Unfortunately, that is not how that comment is being spun, which is unfortunate.

I am of the very bold stance that if a "strength coach" cannot teach the deadlift, they should not be hired as a strength coach. It's like a doctor that can't detect a pulse.

Lol I understand you have a vested interest to be defensive but really don't see that angle. He made a simple comment saying the risk to gains isn't worth it. I don't necessarily agree but I stopped deadlifting about 3 months ago myself due to lower back pains. And honestly don't miss it.

Robert Oberst was wrong and it's a shame that anybody listened to him and treated him and his experience in the clownshow of collegiate and professional sport weight rooms as an authority on the subject.
d872601de2a29d63531461a721600a5e.jpg

Robert Oberst was wrong and it's a shame that anybody listened to him and treated him and his experience in the clownshow of collegiate and professional sport weight rooms as an authority on the subject.
d872601de2a29d63531461a721600a5e.jpg
Did you listen? The whole segway began from him discussing a bicep tear. Which does and can happen during a deadlift. No amount of good form or coaching will prevent that. I'm not defending his comments but not ignoring them either. Keep an open mind Blu. Lifting and form isn't finite. I say this because the world's strongest men competitors don't follow yours and Marks DL form and philosophy.

Did you listen? The whole segway began from him discussing a bicep tear. Which does and can happen during a deadlift. No amount of good form or coaching will prevent that. I'm not defending his comments but not ignoring them either. Keep an open mind Blu. Lifting and form isn't finite. I say this because the world's strongest men competitors don't follow yours and Marks DL form and philosophy.

I listened. I am quite aware of their form and philosophy. You didn't read Rip's quote. Or maybe you did. I don't have the ability to explain this to you. Just like Mark predicted.

I deadlifted today. Added weight and everything.

"Don't do those strength moves because sport players who work in 6 second bursts of raw power don't do those strength moves" makes not a lot of sense. Heck, I mostly focus on Olympic lifting, and I do a lot of deadlifts. For that matter, deadlifts take on a lot of new flavors once you start doing them to facilitate Oly lifts.

Can you hurt yourself doing deadlifts? Of course. But considering what they do otherwise, I think it's really silly to say getting stronger isn't worth it.

I'm in the worst shape of my life and I've been dealing with upper body pain since April. The doctor thinks it's "tech neck" from work and I'm going to physical therapy now. I'm a mess!

Today was 4x3 snatch high pull to muscle snatch to snatch balance at 115#, followed by some full rep singles. Did manage to power snatch 145, but I was aiming to squat snatch. Couldn't convince myself to get under it.

Today was 4x3 snatch high pull to muscle snatch to snatch balance at 115#, followed by some full rep singles. Did manage to power snatch 145, but I was aiming to squat snatch. Couldn't convince myself to get under it.

I wish I had the shoulder mobility to rack a snatch efficiently. I need to think about power snatching more often. I have incorporated power cleans back into my training because I think they're fun. Power snatches, I felt, were always much less technical.

I wish I had the shoulder mobility to rack a snatch efficiently. I need to think about power snatching more often. I have incorporated power cleans back into my training because I think they're fun. Power snatches, I felt, were always much less technical.

I'm right there with you. It doesn't help that the position you reach that you consider the "bottom" of an overhead squat is not the proper catch position for a snatch. The only real way to practice that catch position is really awkward movements like snatch balance.

Still, I'm slowly getting there. Years of conventional body-building type weightlifting, along with a boss who has spent the past 15 years defining my fitness by how many pushups I can do, have left me with some really awful shoulder mobility. To be honest, I'm not sure that snatches do a whole lot for you that the squat clean doesn't from a general fitness perspective. You learn the movement because that's the lift you do in competition. But in terms of muscle engagement and developing the power and coordination associated with Oly lifts, the idea of pulling hard and throwing yourself under the bar, can be gotten as much from the squat clean as the snatch, with much less complication. And if the goal is simply power development, hanging power cleans until you can't grip the bar anymore is the best way to do it.

This deadlift was heavy, but felt great.

This deadlift was heavy, but felt great.

Nice. That's a lot of weight.

Also, do you normally deadlift in weightlifting shoes? I know it's largely a preference thing, I'm just wondering about your decision to deadlift in shoes rather than barefoot or in flat-soled/minimal shoes.

Nice. That's a lot of weight.

Also, do you normally deadlift in weightlifting shoes? I know it's largely a preference thing, I'm just wondering about your decision to deadlift in shoes rather than barefoot or in flat-soled/minimal shoes.

Thank you. It felt heavy.

I deadlift in lifters out of spite. They are deficit and probably take weight off the bar. Buuuuuuuuut, I was told I would never pull heavy with them on. Additionally, I teach a lot of new trainees to deadlift. I've heard too many people tell new lifters to take their shoes off to make me upset. The difference between a 225 deadlift and a 555 deadlift is not the shoes. Additionally, setup errors are not caused by shoes, they're exacerbated by shoes.

I will probably stop deadlifting in lifters now, I think I've proved my point.

Thank you. It felt heavy.

I deadlift in lifters out of spite. They are deficit and probably take weight off the bar. Buuuuuuuuut, I was told I would never pull heavy with them on. Additionally, I teach a lot of new trainees to deadlift. I've heard too many people tell new lifters to take their shoes off to make me upset. The difference between a 225 deadlift and a 555 deadlift is not the shoes. Additionally, setup errors are not caused by shoes, they're exacerbated by shoes.

I will probably stop deadlifting in lifters now, I think I've proved my point.

I dig it. My Oly coach recently asked that I quit heavy lifting barefoot because I have a distinctive tendency to lift thru my heels, which makes total sense when it comes to power-lifting. But in Oly, you start the movement with the weight much more forward because how much you deadlift is irrelevant; all that matters is moving the bar as effectively (quickly) as you can from the ground to the power-position so you can blast it up to an effective catch/lift. One thing about driving the weight down through your heels is it pushes your hips forward earlier in the lift. Great for power-lifting, terrible for Olympic lifting because getting the bar to your groin is only half the fun. Either way, lifting with shoes has been an adjustment for me, but it can be an advantage for you if you switch to Olympic lifting.

I dig it. My Oly coach recently asked that I quit heavy lifting barefoot because I have a distinctive tendency to lift thru my heels, which makes total sense when it comes to power-lifting. But in Oly, you start the movement with the weight much more forward because how much you deadlift is irrelevant; all that matters is moving the bar as effectively (quickly) as you can from the ground to the power-position so you can blast it up to an effective catch/lift. One thing about driving the weight down through your heels is it pushes your hips forward earlier in the lift. Great for power-lifting, terrible for Olympic lifting because getting the bar to your groin is only half the fun. Either way, lifting with shoes has been an adjustment for me, but it can be an advantage for you if you switch to Olympic lifting.
I do power clean at least once a week. I love my AdiPowers. I never take them off and wear them for every lift. I won't do cardio or conditioning work in them.

Last edited:
I am going to take this a sign that I am doing something right.
4843ec3a4d50df261e7481e12be36a56.jpg

Back