Quick question. Play in a league and been using a heavier break stick but want to try s lighter one as I’ve been reading about it and think I will get some good results out of that.
Any advice on some decent ones? For reference my playing cue is a black widow and I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No clue. Back when I was playing alot, I always used a heavier break cue and just hit it easier to control the cueball. Pop it up and stop it in the center of the table.

Do billiards players typically play with the same length/weight cue or is their inventory of personal sticks usually varied ?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I know little to nothing about billiards/pool/snooker.

Do billiards players typically play with the same length/weight cue or is their inventory of personal sticks usually varied ?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I know little to nothing about billiards/pool/snooker.

Some do change cues or shafts for certain games. Games like 1 pocket or 14-1 (straight pool) or snooker that require a little more touch, they'll use a little lighter cue with a softer, thinner tip that gives them a little more feel. I never really did, but most of my time was spent playing 9 ball cash games or tournaments. 1 Pocket and 14-1 are games I really loved playing because they were so strategic. But most weren't willing to play because they can take forever and a day. There are also guys that will carry multiple cues and switch if they're not shooting well. Kind of like choosing to hit a knockdown pw rather than a full gap wedge because you're just not feeling comfortable with the gap wedge that day for some reason.

1 Pocket and 14-1 are games I really loved playing because they were so strategic.

Had a race to 100 14:1 the other night in my basement. So fun

Had a race to 100 14:1 the other night in my basement. So fun

Nice! I remember playing a race to 250 against a pro when I thought I was pretty good a long time ago. We both kept playing safe back and forth for about an hour with not many points put up. Then I made a mistake, and proceeded to watch him run out 220 balls straight on me. Ouch. lol

Nice! I remember playing a race to 250 against a pro when I thought I was pretty good a long time ago. We both kept playing safe back and forth for about an hour with not many points put up. Then I made a mistake, and proceeded to watch him run out 220 balls straight on me. Ouch. lol

I get on my phone sometimes and google classic 14:1 pool matches. Watching Irving Crane, Joe Balsis, ect play is fun to watch. Of course in black and white.

I get on my phone sometimes and google classic 14:1 pool matches. Watching Irving Crane, Joe Balsis, ect play is fun to watch. Of course in black and white.

Watching any of the legends play on tv or live is incredible. They're feel for the game is something else. I sat for hours quite often watching guys like Efren Reyes, Strickland, McCreedy, Buddy Hall, Bustamonte, etc play cash games at Hard Times in Bellflower, Ca. It was awesome to see in person.

Watching any of the legends play on tv or live is incredible. They're feel for the game is something else. I sat for hours quite often watching guys like Efren Reyes, Strickland, McCreedy, Buddy Hall, Bustamonte, etc play cash games at Hard Times in Bellflower, Ca. It was awesome to see in person.

I can only imagine. No doubt.

I tell you another that I follow and watch live feeds on is Ronnie O'Sullivan playing snooker. Now THAT guy is a f'cking stick!!!!!

I have a real love of billiards too. When I owned a table, I could hardly pass by without plucking some balls out and running them in order; most people will let a table sit unused, but I was always on it! I used to play in small 9-ball tournaments every week for years, and was a better-than-average player; but you're right, that's good enough to beat most people that THINK they're good... lol

In Arizona, they had a handicap system and I spent most of my time as an 8 and a little as a 9. Now I never play at all, and I haven't owned a stick in years. I had a McDermott, a sneaky pete Mali and a really pretty Lucasi.

Here in La Paz, Mexico, there is a billiard hall I need to visit. One game I've never played but would love to is 3-cushion billiards. I see those tables here in Mexico, and saw them quite a bit in Europe too.

But my heart is always with Texas Express 9-Ball!

Hardtimes is one of the few rooms, I wished to visit but never have had the chance.

Have you ever made it Louisville for the Derby City Classic? If not you should it is heaven for pool nuts ,Action 24-7. The first year that Dennis Orcullo came to the US. I drew him in the 2nd round of the 9 Ball tournament. Had him down 1- 0 race to 7 before he put a 6 pack on me Had a chance to get to 2 but I dodged a 7 ball.

I have plenty of good stories from the Derby. One with Earl that I will post sometime.

I haven't picked a cue in 3 years since the pool hall in my hometown closed but I don't miss it from time. Town I live in now has nothing but bar boxes. My game of choice is one hole no better game IMO. With no big tables makes it hard to play one hole.

Nothing beats being in the grease firing at your hole with the money on the light

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hardtimes is one of the few rooms, I wished to visit but never have had the chance.

Have you ever made it Louisville for the Derby City Classic? If not you should it is heaven for pool nuts ,Action 24-7. The first year that Dennis Orcullo came to the US. I drew him in the 2nd round of the 9 Ball tournament. Had him down 1- 0 race to 7 before he put a 6 pack on me Had a chance to get to 2 but I dodged a 7 ball.

I have plenty of good stories from the Derby. One with Earl that I will post sometime.

I haven't picked a cue in 3 years since the pool hall in my hometown closed but I don't miss it from time. Town I live in now has nothing but bar boxes. My game of choice is one hole no better game IMO. With no big tables makes it hard to play one hole.

Nothing beats being in the grease firing at your hole with the money on the light

I hear ya. Nah the farthest I've ever traveled to play was Arizona or Vegas. I miss the action quite a bit. I just don't miss the late hours. Hard to be successful in my job field when I'm hanging out in pool halls til 2-3am every night.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is the kid I used to draw constantly in local tournaments. I'd put a couple games on him, make a mistake and never see a clear shot for the rest of the match. It was either he'd run out, or I'd be in serious jail. He was famous for that. Louis Ulrich is actually from San Diego and used to cause quite a stir in the local pool halls. One hell of a player. He quit playing a few years ago.

Last edited:
This is the kid I used to draw constantly in local tournaments. I'd put a couple games on him, make a mistake and never see a clear shot for the rest of the match. It was either he'd run out, or I'd be in serious jail. He was famous for that. Louis Ulrich is actually from San Diego and used to cause quite a stir in the local pool halls. One hell of a player. He quit playing a few years ago.

Yea Louis played jam up for sure. Never had the pleasure of playing him but sweated some matches he was in. If I recall correctly he had a brother Josh that played pretty good. Seems one of them had a wife or girlfriend at that time named Sunny that played sporty as well.

Some do change cues or shafts for certain games. Games like 1 pocket or 14-1 (straight pool) or snooker that require a little more touch, they'll use a little lighter cue with a softer, thinner tip that gives them a little more feel. I never really did, but most of my time was spent playing 9 ball cash games or tournaments. 1 Pocket and 14-1 are games I really loved playing because they were so strategic. But most weren't willing to play because they can take forever and a day. There are also guys that will carry multiple cues and switch if they're not shooting well. Kind of like choosing to hit a knockdown pw rather than a full gap wedge because you're just not feeling comfortable with the gap wedge that day for some reason.

Thank you for the reply, I learned something :)

Yea Louis played jam up for sure. Never had the pleasure of playing him but sweated some matches he was in. If I recall correctly he had a brother Josh that played pretty good. Seems one of them had a wife or girlfriend at that time named Sunny that played sporty as well.
Yeah Josh was pretty good as well. Big sum bish too. We all used to hang out at a pool hall in Temecula, Ca for a couple years. I lost a bet once to Josh. I didn't think he could bench press the end of a 9' Olhausen... I was wrong. lol

Louis got married well after I quit playing. I haven't really kept up with him or Josh much since then. But my buddy Scott still talks to him alot. I know he doesn't really play anymore, and he sells and funds real estate down in San Diego. That's pretty much it.

Talked to my buddy Scott last night. Josh was the one dating Sunny. He did end up marrying her... but it lasted like a week.

Picked this up today. Simple, but man it hits good!

538beb791e4bfd36624dc2e7c130ad46.jpg
e916e2c15e99ea3ec9a62328f85b01c7.jpg
d554e7979a9f02e11e87e79130a144a4.jpg

My son works in a military town, naturally he is playing pool for the first time and loves it. It is interesting to hear the comparisons he comes up with similar to golf. Such as you can't rush your next shot but you do need to plan for the next shot ahead, create a solid base to play off of, it's an individual or team sport, kind of a cult like sport, you have to be mentally tough, you can over think it, etc. I am sure there are more.

I've played on and off casually for years, probably pretty good compared to the population at large but terrible compared to those that take it seriously.

For some reason a friend and I started playing snooker and I'm hooked. A modified version of snooker on a '7 foot table using only ten reds, so it plays quite differently and faster than standard snooker on the bigger tables.

It is a fascinating game. We started out just using the standard pool balls; using the 2-7 as the spotted scoring balls and the rest in a sideways nine-ball rack as the reds and eventually moved on to real (slightly larger than standard) snooker balls and deciding that 15 reds was too crowded for our tastes. Laying someone a nasty snooker is oddly satisfying... as is escaping same.

I took billiards as a course in college...Ha

some pics from the Derby City Classic if your a pool fan and haven't attended you owe it to yourself to go.
DCC1.jpg
DCC3.jpgDCC6.jpgDennis3.jpg

These are some of my cues. I forsake golf in college while pursuing pool. I wish I had split my time evenly but I went whole hog on this game and I love it still. I found myself having less time to play now as my area has zero in terms of pool halls. But that does allow me to get on the course more and my passion for golf is growing.
fd226465e01e5e1b222d24b7830acb57.jpg
9a5e457e229812c197ed62e1acc83460.jpg
2d543593e70c2f5fe516258bea335b82.jpg
5bf43d7b37774045a1cbb1e045e7749c.jpg
5e010bfcd2f32a034b7d5a7891339fca.jpg

I played a lot in the military, and funded a lot of evenings at the NCO club when funds were tight. There was one particular staff sergeant who thought he could play, especially when he was hammered. I called him my ATM. Made a LOT of money off that guy. Haven’t played regularly in years. Miss it sometimes.

Back