Jeep Owners: Talk to me

Hi, I have had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee for now 5 years or so and almost 80k since i purchased and 155K total. The car has been great. No problems, runs strong, still looks good and most of all I still like it.

I also owned an 87 4runner, 5-speed 22RE, loved that truck until it rotted out and a 92 4runner and 2002 Sequoia. I liked all the Toyota's and this Jeep has been on par with them,and way better on the rust side of things.

Thanks. I hear you on the rust. It seems like Toyota has never quite figure out how to make a vehicle that can stand up to salt. Just a few years ago, they had a big recall for frame rust on the Tacomas.
I always kind of laugh when people say how Toyota engines will run forever. What good is that when the frame and body rusts out after 10 years? LOL

I still love the power rear windows on the 4Runners and Sequoia's. I just did not like the newer body styles as much nor the interior, which is why I opted for the Jeep.I had a soft top for my 87, wish I still had that as a 2nd car, that was a fun car in the summer time.

I had a Grand Cherokee which I loved, wife currently has Town & Country, no problems at all. My buddy has had Jeeps for probably past 20 years, no major issues, he just ordered the Gladiator. I say pull the trigger!!!! If I wasn't going to be having my 4th kid, I'd be driving some type of Jeep for sure.

I'm not sure any Chrysler reliability issues really apply when talking about a Wrangler. Jeep has always been kind of it's own thing, with very little if anything in common with the rest of their lineup. I'm also considering moving from a truck back to an SUV, but I'm waiting at least another year to see what the new Ford Bronco ends up bringing to the table.

This is me. I owned a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon from July 2009 to September 2015. I loved it, but it was a money pit. Not because it wasn't reliable. It never left me stranded. It was a money pit because there are SO many upgrades available for it. I got it for $24k +/- and spent well more than that on it after I bought it. It is a fun vehicle, but do not buy it if fuel mileage is anywhere on your radar.

Attachments

• JK.jpg
    JK.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 2
  • JK2.jpg
    JK2.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the advice, everyone. It sounds like almost everyone has a great experience with them. I think that Im sold on a Wrangler. Highest resale value, lowest 5-year cost of ownership, go-anywhere capability and iconic styling. Sold.

That bolded part can't be understated. You can't get that with anything else out there.

it is an interesting idea!

Old thread revival.

I’m looking at some Wrangler Unlimited models with 70-80k miles. Some with 100,000 mi. Any issues with those at higher miles?

Old thread revival.

I’m looking at some Wrangler Unlimited models with 70-80k miles. Some with 100,000 mi. Any issues with those at higher miles?

My suggestion is if you're going to go used on a wrangler, go with a soccer mom/dad non modified jeep. You want something that hasn't been wrenched on too much or banged around regardless of miles.

Can't speak to personal experience as I have never owned a Jeep, but I recently was involved in an accident with one and can definitively say that they are built very solid. The other driver was in a Jeep Renegade and I was in my wife's HR-V. Other guy was one of those wacko's that couldn't stand the thought of someone passing them. I had made a lane change to pass, he cut me off which caused me to have to immediately change back into the right lane to avoid him. He tried to cut me off again, not realizing I was already in his blind spot and he hit me. Because his front wheels were turned to the right and his back passenger side end hit my driver side front end, he effectively gave himself the PIT manuever, lost control, jumped the curb, took out two saplings and came to rest about 6 inches from a light post. Driver was completely fine.

My suggestion is if you're going to go used on a wrangler, go with a soccer mom/dad non modified jeep. You want something that hasn't been wrenched on too much or banged around regardless of miles.

Good advice. There are quite a few with lots of mods, lifts, giant tires, light bars, etc. They look great, but maybe worth skipping?

Old thread revival.

I forget which years they improved the design, read through this thread I think its mentioned. The older production 3.6 engines had cylinder head/valvetrain issues. Make sure you buy one of the newer ones after they changed/fixed the casting issues in production.

Good advice. There are quite a few with lots of mods, lifts, giant tires, light bars, etc. They look great, but maybe worth skipping?

In my opinion, yea I would skip. I highly recommend hopping over to https://www.wranglerforum.com/ mountains of great info on Jeep new and old. Also an amazing community that I’m also a part of where you can ask all kinds of questions.

Have a 2019 Sahara, about the 4th Wrangler I've owned. Not a great transmission, and Way too loud at speeds over 45 mph. They say this is normal, I say I'm getting tinnitus. I think they think owning a Jeep is this macho thing, and it's supposed to be loud and quirky. I say, "Don't charge $50K for them if they cause deafness".........The service mgr. tried to tell me this is OK and it's coming from my floor mats. No, from the top and windows, dude. Other than that, I love it, though, too many things to go wrong on these.

Back