Straight Razor Shaving

What blades are you using and what razor?

Are you using a brush and shave soap, gel, or cream?

The blade makes a difference in the shave also the type of head your using open comb vs full bar. My OC shaves much closer than my full bar/closed comb does and they are from the same manufacturer and I just swap combs out on the same handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using a Merkur handle and I started using Persona blades today. I didn't have any cuts or irritation with the Persona.

3e1629a3564057f0dfe0b4fe0f4e12d3.jpg
3ea20c71ba9f65560f32954b8656331b.jpg

Also, I use shaving soap applied with a brush.

I currently do 2 passes, with the grain and sideways.

I'm using an Ikon with an open comb with with Astra blades. I have a few other high end razors but the Ikon is my favorite and daily one.

My Murker is the similar to yours and i use generic blades from Kroger or meijer and both do a decent job in the head. Ive used others but don't remember what worked best.

I have an Ikon with both an Open Comb and closed comb and it shaves closer than the murker.

I'd order a sample/variety pack of blades to test in your murker and see what gives you the best cut.

Also to note some heads are designed to be more or less aggressive than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wet shaving is a great way to get a close shave. I am sampling different blades currently. Stirling soap company is providing my favorite soaps. On the wait list for a wolf whiskers brush and using stirling soap company brush currently. Right now the blade that's working best for me is bolzano.

Wet shaving is a great way to get a close shave. I am sampling different blades currently. Stirling soap company is providing my favorite soaps. On the wait list for a wolf whiskers brush and using stirling soap company brush currently. Right now the blade that's working best for me is bolzano.
What's your number on the wait list? I just looked them up, they're gorgeous. What style you going to get?

What stirling? They have a ton of selections, I think I need to get one.

How do the bolzano compare to feathers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Is the Merkur I have considered Open comb? I'm not familiar with the difference

What's your number on the wait list? I just looked them up, they're gorgeous. What style you going to get?

What stirling? They have a ton of selections, I think I need to get one.

How do the bolzano compare to feathers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I'm still in the hundreds. I'm using the stirling synthetic 24mm and most of their soaps. The Bolzano are are not as sharpe as feather but I feel they are very smooth.

I'm using a Merkur handle and I started using Persona blades today. I didn't have any cuts or irritation with the Persona.

3e1629a3564057f0dfe0b4fe0f4e12d3.jpg
3ea20c71ba9f65560f32954b8656331b.jpg

Also, I use shaving soap applied with a brush.

I currently do 2 passes, with the grain and sideways.

I've been using a DE safety razor for about two years. I find it takes a lot of work/time to get BBS (baby butt smooth) shave. More time than it's worth. The real benefit for me with DE wet shaving is the reduced irritation compared to the Mach III.

If you want a closer shave, you might try a shaver that is adjustable. This will give you the ability to get a more aggressive shave with each pass. The trade off is increased risk of skin irritation.

Time to do the yearly beard growing for the winter thing.

Just stocked up on some new oil, brush, comb, new straight razor.

So my wife is doing a "Father's Day Gift Guide" for a company she writes for, which put a OneBlade Shave Hybrid in my possession. Definitely a spectacular razor, everything I like about a pivoting head multi-blade razor while still producing the razor close shave of a single-blade.

Not sure if it's going to replace my Merkur after one try, as I'll have to see how long the blades themselves last, but for now, I'm a fan.

So my wife is doing a "Father's Day Gift Guide" for a company she writes for, which put a OneBlade Shave Hybrid in my possession. Definitely a spectacular razor, everything I like about a pivoting head multi-blade razor while still producing the razor close shave of a single-blade.

Not sure if it's going to replace my Merkur after one try, as I'll have to see how long the blades themselves last, but for now, I'm a fan.

I heard good and bad things about those razors. Some love them and some say they cant get a close shave with them. It seems like those who dont like them are using the Oneblade Core.
I looked into them but didnt like that Im forced into only using Feather's blade in them. Thats one of the things that I dont like about cartridge razors and one of the things that I really like about DEs and shavettes. Theres so many different DE blades out there and a blade that works great for me might be the worst blade for someone else.

Back