Woodworking / Furniture Building

thought I would bump this up since I broke down and bought a new table saw today. So many things on my list to build that I just wanted to be sure I had the right tool for the job. First up is a 40x90 assembly table/woodworking bench. I think I have the design just how I want it - hopefully it's flexible enough to modify later in case I want to add some things. It needs to be movable and theoretically stowable. I've drawn it out to break down into just the top, 4 posts, and the bottom shelf by removing 8 bolts. All of that can be leaned up against the wall if I need the space. Once I have it all put together I'll post some pics for thoughts and suggestions. Until then though, I could use some ideas for adjustable feet and/or on-demand casters (or whatever the appropriate term is for casters that stow away when not in use). Open to any suggestions!

got the table built, except for the lower shelf. I'm not sure if I'm going to brace it with studs and use plywood for the shelf or if I'm just going to lay the 2x4s right on top of the braces that are already there. I went with a floating (resting on plywood inside the finishing boards instead of secured to the frame) MDF top so I not only have a smooth surface with no screw holes but also can easily flip it over or replace it if I really mess it up somehow during some project. No pics to post because my garage is a mess but if anyone is interested I can probably get motivated to clean up and snap some shots tomorrow. worn out for now :)

got the table built, except for the lower shelf. I'm not sure if I'm going to brace it with studs and use plywood for the shelf or if I'm just going to lay the 2x4s right on top of the braces that are already there. I went with a floating (resting on plywood inside the finishing boards instead of secured to the frame) MDF top so I not only have a smooth surface with no screw holes but also can easily flip it over or replace it if I really mess it up somehow during some project. No pics to post because my garage is a mess but if anyone is interested I can probably get motivated to clean up and snap some shots tomorrow. worn out for now :)
I built my assembly table out of solid 2" interior door,made to piggyback my wwbench. The flatter surface aids in better,more precise glue-ups and easier assemblies. Like you,my tools must be moveable,as my garage must do double duty. Nothing beats a dedicated ww shop,but the investment required makes that more of businees option,than hobby option. Post pics of your projects...love to see them............

it's actually really kinda sad and funny at the same time... but I might be disassembling this assembly table. A couple of reasons really make me want something different. The first is that the idea I had in my head about how all my tools would be laid out in the half of the garage I decided to make into my woodshop... can't happen. I wanted this 40x90 table to be at one end, leaving plenty of room width-wise for access to the interior door to the house. It fits in that spot nicely, as we discovered when my wife was helping me move things into place. While we were doing that, she mentioned that some of the stuff in the garage should go into the attic. I agreed, and then went "sh!t... the attic!" I had completely failed to take into account our access to the attic. The stairs for it pull down into exactly the spot where the table was supposed to be. So, the already-tight layout I had intended to use has to be completely rethought. I have been milling it over in the back of my mind for about a day now and I just can't come up with a solution that lets me keep this table *and* build the other shop furniture I wanted to build. I'd have to get rid of some tools, and what would be the point of that? :D

The other big reason I think it's going away is that I am realizing how much I just don't know about woodworking. The more videos I watch online (the wood whisperer is my current favorite wood guru to watch and learn from) the more I hate the very amateurish way I built this table. yes, it's sturdy, level, and pretty decent-looking... and yes, it's just shop furniture. But I think I can do a lot better job. Plus, the more stuff I build, the more I will learn. so it's a win-win in my book.

So I think I'll probably keep it long enough to make use of it while building the other stuff, but ultimately I think the top and a few other pieces will become parts of the cabinets and some other shop furniture. The rest will go into the scrap pile which probably needed to be seeded anyway :). I haven't 100% decided to do this, but I think it's the best idea. I'll take pics of it before I start taking it down.

I understand the limited space issue,it can cause headaches. It took over 5 yrs to finally get my 20x24 garage situated to where I could set the shop up w/o moving more than mt bench and table saw...once moved back the car would fit ..tightly,but inside. Normally it stays out during the project,then put back afterwards. I still have a couple machines that I need to unload,as they're not used enough to justify the needed floor space.when we re-done the kitchen 5 yrs ago, I used the old cabs in the shop,that made srorage of accessories easier...saved building them..as for scrap,you'll have plenty after awhile....mine goes to my woodstove in the house....makes great kindling.

So, I haven't yet scrapped the table but I think it's happening tomorrow. It's definitely happening soon. I ended up deciding to build an L-shaped cabinet with a work surface the same height as my table saw. one leg is 8' and the other will be about 16'. That 8' leg will be just long enough to leave about 2-3 inches of breathing room to the left of the interior door. It'll be 3' deep all around, leaving plenty of clearance for the attic stairs and providing plenty of workspace on top and storage underneath. The 16' leg will leave room towards the big door for a line of tools - dust collector (and chip separator), drill press, and band saw are going there. The work top is 1.5" thick - 3/4" ply on the bottom and 3/4" MDF on the top. The bottom layer is screwed into the carcase, and the MDF is glued onto the ply. Trim will be some 1x2" cut to fit and make it purty.

The last few days I've been working on getting the carcase built and secured to the wall. Ironically, building all this workspace has been a long and arduous process because I just don't have enough workspace. Trying to rip an 8-inch wide 8-foot long piece of ply into two 4" strips takes way more preparation and care than it should. Trying to secure that to the table and clamp down the circular saw guide, then manage the cord on the circular while I rip that entire 8 foot length... ugh. This is why I have a table saw, right? Too bad there just isn't enough room to use it that way. There will be soon.

just a few of some projects
fiqured anigre ent.center ...
405661562.jpg

man cave.....
381869914.jpg
381869928.jpg
381819180.jpg
381819115.jpg

very nice on the Ent center...love mixing woods like that...cabs look good,too,altho I'm partial to Walnut or Cherry with those....yours look fantastic... and I can tell there's not many kids running thru your place ..waaaay too neat !!! beautiful home,BTW....

time to get started on the Christmas gifts...thinking wine racks...maple and walnut and Sapele and ash.....it'll be here before ye know it.....

Here's a couple of my projects.

My bar (realized I messed up grain direction on the panels afterward)

Daughter's bed

Also made a pretty neat fold up stand for my daughter to help reach the sink that has adjustable height. It was kind of packed away though so I didn't get any pics.

Current project is pretty small, just refinishing an old bench we have.

time to get started on the Christmas gifts...thinking wine racks...maple and walnut and Sapele and ash.....it'll be here before ye know it.....

I was thinking of making some cutting boards for xmas gifts. i know the wife wants some new ones and I might as well set up to make a bunch. we'll see

I was thinking of making some cutting boards for xmas gifts. i know the wife wants some new ones and I might as well set up to make a bunch. we'll see

Those are definitely worth making a bunch if if your going to make any, the setup and time involved in it sucks for only a couple.

the challenge right now is to find some decent hardwood off cuts to use. either there just isn't a good place near me to get them or I really suck at looking for one. The best I've found is a cabinet maker in Denton, TX (10 mins away) but they really don't like dealing with a customer wanting to spend a few bucks. Their time is better spent on those who are dropping serious coin on a full kitchen remodel =\

I'd just ask for their scrap pieces or find your closest wholesale yard. And if you have a planer and table saw your set

I'd just ask for their scrap pieces or find your closest wholesale yard. And if you have a planer and table saw your set

I do have a planer and a table saw but for some reason I'm having one hell of a time finding scraps around here. Probably just inexperience, but I never would have thought it would be this difficult to find

I do have a planer and a table saw but for some reason I'm having one hell of a time finding scraps around here. Probably just inexperience, but I never would have thought it would be this difficult to find

I know we do not have many scraps left that are worth dealing with when we finish a build. We probably run less than 12% waste and those are small rip offs and cut offs

Honestly I'd just by the boards whole and planed close to what you want it cut it to length plus rip it then plane your rips to you final dimension one way glue it up then finish planing the now glued together board to final thickness. Depending on what type of wood your looking at using the cost shouldn't be bad.

Tips for buying lumber ask for the price on 8ft boards and shorts(6-7footers) the shorts are usually cheaper by a good margin and unless you have to have the extra 2ft are a great deal- paint grade is cheaper than stain grade but you will have a higher variance in colors in the boards- buying number 2 lumber will have some knots but that you may have to work around but can save you cents on the board foot.

Remember go to a supply house the bigger the better and call several for their prices, many buy from the big guy in your area then mark it up and resell

here is a couple I found by you- http://eastteak.com/exotic-woods/ipe-lumbe/ http://centralhardwoods.com/ http://www.wheatlumber.com/products.html

thanks for the links. I will give them a shout in the AM. I did try a large wholesaler the other day (Cedar Creek, I think), and he told me that they don't sell to the public. I asked for a lumber yard recommendation in my area and he sent me to 84 lumber, who was basically useless for anything other than deck building supplies, flooring, and basic construction ply. none of which I need right now :)

No problem, yeah some are weird like that, most have a store front for hobbyist like yourself to buy from.

I know we do not have many scraps left that are worth dealing with when we finish a build. We probably run less than 12% waste and those are small rip offs and cut offs

Honestly I'd just by the boards whole and planed close to what you want it cut it to length plus rip it then plane your rips to you final dimension one way glue it up then finish planing the now glued together board to final thickness. Depending on what type of wood your looking at using the cost shouldn't be bad.

Tips for buying lumber ask for the price on 8ft boards and shorts(6-7footers) the shorts are usually cheaper by a good margin and unless you have to have the extra 2ft are a great deal- paint grade is cheaper than stain grade but you will have a higher variance in colors in the boards- buying number 2 lumber will have some knots but that you may have to work around but can save you cents on the board foot.

Remember go to a supply house the bigger the better and call several for their prices, many buy from the big guy in your area then mark it up and resell

here is a couple I found by you- http://eastteak.com/exotic-woods/ipe-lumbe/ http://centralhardwoods.com/ http://www.wheatlumber.com/products.html

Thanks for the tips golfinFF! I'm in the Akron area - how would I find the nearest big volume supply house?

Here is a desk that was built for a friend of mine. It took 4 pieces cut out of one sheet of plywood to make it.

uqaja4ud.jpg

susybu2y.jpg

ge9e2yra.jpg

Very cool! was the top cut out of 4 pieces of plywood? How did you seem it up & join it? Are the raised panels solid wood?

Thanks for the tips golfinFF! I'm in the Akron area - how would I find the nearest big volume supply house?

Try looking up Paxton lumber they may have one up that way. I'll look when I get home tonight.

Other than that I just use google maps and look up lumber or try your town plus exotic wood should come up with something.

QUOTE=Grins;3290031]Very cool! was the top cut out of 4 pieces of plywood? How did you seem it up & join it? Are the raised panels solid wood?[/QUOTE]

It's one sheet carefully grain matched and pieced together with biscuits and some kreg screws total PITA

They are solid wood and made in the shop, if it's a huge job and they are looking to cut cost somewhere we will order laminated ones but that's rare.

Try looking up Paxton lumber they may have one up that way. I'll look when I get home tonight.

Other than that I just use google maps and look up lumber or try your town plus exotic wood should come up with something.

QUOTE=Grins;3290031]Very cool! was the top cut out of 4 pieces of plywood? How did you seem it up & join it? Are the raised panels solid wood?

It's one sheet carefully grain matched and pieced together with biscuits and some kreg screws total PITA

They are solid wood and made in the shop, if it's a huge job and they are looking to cut cost somewhere we will order laminated ones but that's rare.[/QUOTE]

Looks good, man! Ive been going to Hartville Hardware - don't know if there's a better deal but I'll check around.

Nice job Pete!

As you have a planer - I'd look for pallet shops, or someplace trying to get rid of wood pallets - they're all hardwood & after you plane it out, and cut around the knots, it would make great scrap for cutting boards.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415067622.766864.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415067646.274989.jpg

Here is the blanket closet I just finished to go at the end of our bed. The floor is made out of aromatic cedar with spaces in between to let air flow through.

Back