Woodworking / Furniture Building

my new workbench is complete. It is so nice after all these years to have a proper workbench that does not wobble, is at a comfortable height and has two vises.
View attachment 9101825View attachment 9101830
Awesome bench! Did you pick the height to match the saw so you could use the bench as an outfeed table? Or did this just happen to be a comfortable height for you? Any thoughts as to how you chose the bench dimensions? (height, etc.)

And what casters did you use? Seems like a lot of stuff off Amazon has reviews saying casters bent/failed if bench is too massive

So I'm stuck home without a car on a rainy day so I agreed to build a console/entry way table for a coworker, basically following this blog ...

https://graceoaksdesigns.com/diy-wood-console-table/

What I may struggle with is the attaching of the top to the sides and could use some suggestions. I don't have a pocket jig so I was thinking of just recessing screws, going in from the side then the top. I have time since I am 1 board short and still need to sand everything

20230324_111406.jpg

So I'm stuck home without a car on a rainy day so I agreed to build a console/entry way table for a coworker, basically following this blog ...

What I may struggle with is the attaching of the top to the sides and could use some suggestions. I don't have a pocket jig so I was thinking of just recessing screws, going in from the side then the top. I have time since I am 1 board short and still need to sand everything

View attachment 9166820
I've seen a few people use z-clips I believe is what they are called. Allows for wood movement.

View attachment 9166820

How about a tongue and groove - put a groove into each 45 deg angle face -- then cut a wood strip - the tongue - the width of the slot minus about .005". Glue it up - trim the side of the exposed strips , sand smooth - a very nice joint is made. that is my favorite joint - easy and so strong.

How about a tongue and groove - put a groove into each 45 deg angle face -- then cut a wood strip - the tongue - the width of the slot minus about .005". Glue it up - trim the side of the exposed strips , sand smooth - a very nice joint is made. that is my favorite joint - easy and so strong.
Not sure I have the skills for that.. i forgot to mention I was thinking to do a dowel alternating vertical and horizontal , maybe an inch deep?

Wasn't sure if I should stain it before assembling or after either but if I'm filling holes with dowel or dust+glue I guess after

The good thing about rustic,/repurposed is it's not supposed to look perfect

View attachment 9166820
I’m all for traditional joinery when the skills are there. If you’re not comfortable with mortise and tenons, I would probably just suggest reverting to dowels, screws and plugs.

Some of your challenge here is with an end grain glue up as there’s not a tremendous amount of strength there.

grab you a plug cutter and some scraps to practice. If you’re able to match the grain pattern, you’ll be able to minimize how obvious they are

Well my attempts with dowels was a fail, just couldn't line them up and I rushed it, so it's held together with some good screws

First stain is on but she told me to do provincial (shown), then antique white (poly+stain).. should I wait the 24 hours or apply it sooner so the white is effective?

20230326_183342.jpg

20230326_183337.jpg

I was dumb and went back to front screwing them together instead of front to back, so the piece I assigned for the front face have the wood filler dots showing

And holding the side up to try and screw it together was new impossible to line it up perfectly but she likes it from the pics so hopefully all good

All in all a practice trial run for when I make my own stuff

After a really crappy application of this poly+stain that totally messed up the look, I had to sand it down basically to to the start. A fresh wood conditioner and stain but now I'm left with a dark side and a light side 🤔
20230328_210350.jpg

Maybe I sanded the one side more then the other? Hoping a 2nd coat on the right/bottom will help even if out?

And I got the regular antique white stain to do a ashy look she wants, hopefully it goes well this time

Coworker is very happy with how it came out. But I've opened up a can of worms with now friends wanting stuff built

IMG_20230403_095145.jpg

But I may try to do some renovations first, I can pick these up for free and flip them
Screenshot_20230403_082058_Messenger.jpg

Wondering if I can get some thoughts from my fellow woodworkers? How are you making sure that you have flat edges? I don't have a jointer but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for getting around the lack of a jointer? I've got all the other "big equipment" but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a jointer as I feel as though the uses are somewhat minimal. I've got a planer, table saw, miter saw. I don't have a track saw either.

Wondering if I can get some thoughts from my fellow woodworkers? How are you making sure that you have flat edges? I don't have a jointer but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for getting around the lack of a jointer? I've got all the other "big equipment" but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a jointer as I feel as though the uses are somewhat minimal. I've got a planer, table saw, miter saw. I don't have a track saw either.

easy to do - Get one of these glue line blades. ever since I bought one I don't use a jointer planer anymore and actually got rid of it. these give a very straight cut and perfectly flat for perfect glue joints.

LM75R010 | Saw Blades | Ripping | Glue Line Ripping (freudtools.com)

I've been wanting a band saw for a bit, but don't need a massive saw. Little space in the garage, but I have a couple small projects that the band saw would make much easier.

Had been using an old unit to attempt to cut some veneers, but it was a smaller blade on it, so couldnt handle what I needed. Had to end up using the table saw.

Fast forward to two dats ago, and a super tiny band saw popped up on Facebook.
20230610_165401.jpg
See anything weird? Oh right... it isn't plugged into anything. Runs off a shaft on the front connected to a drill. Drill and a clamp for the trigger, and we were off to the races! Weighs almost nothing. Small enough I can throw it on a shelf when not needed. Super small hobbyist/craft machine, but it is able to make the smaller cleaner cuts I needed.

Use that on a table saw, I'm assuming? I'm not understanding how you get a planed edge with it if the other edge against the fence isn't straight though?

yes table saw - you cut both sides now they are perfectly straight and parallel

Wife wanted a coffee table and side table, so there's a Sunday spent
1000006825.jpg

I know it might be controversial to ask in a woodworking thread, but do any of you have experience using epoxy with your wood?

I am working on a small project, the wood I am working with is sheets laminated together with wood glue. What I am running into is the pieces are some of the laminations are coming apart. I am gluing it back together, but need something to solidify it more.

Is this a situation where I could paint epoxy on to harden the overall finish of the piece? I don't want to mess around with a pour.... maybe more of a dip the item in situation.

Any guidance would be amazing.

I know it might be controversial to ask in a woodworking thread, but do any of you have experience using epoxy with your wood?

I am working on a small project, the wood I am working with is sheets laminated together with wood glue. What I am running into is the pieces are some of the laminations are coming apart. I am gluing it back together, but need something to solidify it more.

Is this a situation where I could paint epoxy on to harden the overall finish of the piece? I don't want to mess around with a pour.... maybe more of a dip the item in situation.

Any guidance would be amazing.

knowing the thickness of your laminate and the length and width would be helpful in giving some input. and kind of wood.:unsure::unsure:

Bumping this thread up for a small table build. Apologies since I typically take more in progress pics:
72185853194__C25192C3-6077-4EB8-A56F-8DDDA6599AAF.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg
72347850832__F1AA596D-D676-4F8C-B4CE-A86618397A59.jpeg
I did eventually put a drawer pull on it.

Very nice! It would take an act of Congress to get me out of your workshop.

Always admired people that stayed in wood working. Its just so darn cool.

I just saw on the local news last night, Down in the Villages (fla) they have their own rather large WOOD WORKING SHOP, very well equipped at that and these old retired wood working hobbyist are making toys for those families (children) that just don't have a $$ or means to get toys for their kids. Pretty awesome to see.

Back