Woodworking / Furniture Building

Nice job Matt. How do you stop the glaze from running off the edge of the table? What do you have to do on the sides/edges?

Actually in my case I wanted the glaze to drip off the side to put that smooth coat around the edges. Note...use plastic on the floor vs cloth tarps.

Actually in my case I wanted the glaze to drip off the side to put that smooth coat around the edges. Note...use plastic on the floor vs cloth tarps.

Got it. How much ends up on the (plastic tarp on the) floor?

Depends how large of an area you are surfacing. My bar is roughly 44 sq ft, so I had quite a bit. Maybe 4-8 oz on the tarp's if I was to estimate.
Got it. How much ends up on the (plastic tarp on the) floor?

First desktop in the clamps:
0ba0cc9e58dbf4fb1e2b638914ea6afa.jpg

Here is the other counter/desk top
002869f411b5115c52091500ee52ffee.jpg

Looks good buddy you did make sure to make the grains work against each other right

Looks good buddy you did make sure to make the grains work against each other right

Dunno. Had a guy with experience helping me so I assume so!

I can't believe what all is involved in this tho. Major respect to the experts

Haha yeah it ain't as easy as most think to do it right, but once you get the hang of it it ain't that hard either

Patience is needed that's for sure. Patience I don't have unfortunately.

It'll learn you patience dude can't rush it and get a first rate product

Thanks! Ran into my first bit of trouble today, I have a 10" radial arm saw and a 9" table saw, neither of which can fully cut through the 4x4s, so I'm having to do some creative cutting on the 45º degree ones. It's doable, but going to be kind of tedious.

Do you have a circular saw?

Make a jig and use it, or cut 3/4 the way though flip it and the saw angle to match and cut

Any progress updates?

No pics, never happened:smile:

This reminds me. The poly is drying on the desktop:
9d6da463b61640907437276299814717.jpg

Been looking at making a toy chest for awhile. Not really sure what else I would need. We could talk and I could pick your brain.

i realize this comment is old, but here's a toy chest I built last year for my nephew. I followed the plans from the wood whisperer's woodworkers fighting cancer build. it turned out great and gave me a lot of confidence to build more stuff:

g7aRCtd.jpg

my last project was this dust separator cart I built for my planer, so that it could work without being attached to my dust collector and without spraying the shop: http://imgur.com/a/h3Mnd

I've been building lots of stuff for my shop and around the house. I'm starting to get the hang of this thing a little bit. I'm having fun for sure :)

That's a good looking chest. What kind of hinges did you use for the top?

The planer cart looks really well thought-out. How does it perform when the chip bin starts to get full?

That top came out nicely. What did you use for stain/finish?

That top came out nicely. What did you use for stain/finish?

This stain:
020066207779lg.jpg

and this poly:
027426630000lg.jpg

Second coat of poly is drying and I'll be putting on the final trim work tonight. After we get everything situated I'll post a pic of the final project.

Back