Woodworking / Furniture Building

It's hard to beat the lifetime warranty rigid offers, that's for sure.

If you can't get a table saw or afford one you can make a rip board out of some 1/4 or 3/8 plywood and use a regular circular saw that will work as well as the festool panel saw as long as u use a good plywood blade.

Another tip is to put blue painters tape down where your cut line will be then mark and cut. This will help eliminate any splintering.

I also recommend fir core plywood made in the USA it is more stable than the crap coming in from china.

I don't think I'll be using any plywood for this project - would that same tip work for ripping planks?

I don't think I'll be using any plywood for this project - would that same tip work for ripping planks?

How wide are the planks? If they're under 8", I'm using the sliding compound mitre saw. It's a lot faster and easier.

Yes you can its not as easy as the board gets narrower but it can be done and I have done it.

How wide are the planks? If they're under 8", I'm using the sliding compound mitre saw. It's a lot faster and easier.

That's cross cutting(across the grain)(cutting a 6ft board to a 4ft board), ripping is with the grain(splitting a 2x4 into a 2x2)

Yep, it'll work or you can put the topside down and any splintering will be on the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

as golfinFF said I do need to go with the grain (rip) so it would need to be a table saw. I think I'm going to end up getting the ikea countertops to use as desktops. I wanted to try and make my own butcher block style tops but I just don't think I can do it for anywhere close to cheaper than those countertops. I'll put a darker stain on them to even out the tone, I think.

I'm working on a design for some matching shelves, too. The idea is that I"ll have a bit of a "mission control" look to my workspace. I already have a 27" imac as my main display, another 27" apple display on the left, and a 23" dell on the right all for work. I have a 32" TV above for watching stuff while I work. That needs to get mounted above center and I"ll have some speakers and shelves framing it. I just haven't decided on the final configuration yet. Once I do I will place the order for all the kee klamp stuff and the countertops... might be a couple weeks but I'm getting excited about the build :D

as golfinFF said I do need to go with the grain (rip) so it would need to be a table saw. I think I'm going to end up getting the ikea countertops to use as desktops. I wanted to try and make my own butcher block style tops but I just don't think I can do it for anywhere close to cheaper than those countertops. I'll put a darker stain on them to even out the tone, I think.

I'm working on a design for some matching shelves, too. The idea is that I"ll have a bit of a "mission control" look to my workspace. I already have a 27" imac as my main display, another 27" apple display on the left, and a 23" dell on the right all for work. I have a 32" TV above for watching stuff while I work. That needs to get mounted above center and I"ll have some speakers and shelves framing it. I just haven't decided on the final configuration yet. Once I do I will place the order for all the kee klamp stuff and the countertops... might be a couple weeks but I'm getting excited about the build :D

Sounds pretty dang sweet. Keep us update with pics!

How's it going? You get started yet?

I've put together a few designs on paper, just haven't decided how I want to do the tops yet. I really like the idea of the butcher block style. With the L shape I want though, I'm not convinced it won't annoy me having two of the tops perpendicular :(

I also can't decide between making threaded pipe work and using the kee klamps that are more versatile. This isn't going to be a cheap project... I'm trying to get it as right as possible in theory before ordering $600 worth of materials :beat-up:

I've put together a few designs on paper, just haven't decided how I want to do the tops yet. I really like the idea of the butcher block style. With the L shape I want though, I'm not convinced it won't annoy me having two of the tops perpendicular :(

I also can't decide between making threaded pipe work and using the kee klamps that are more versatile. This isn't going to be a cheap project... I'm trying to get it as right as possible in theory before ordering $600 worth of materials :beat-up:

If you do butcher block it is possible to make it all one piece even with a right in it you just have to lace your corner to keep the strength in it. But you will have have to make the top or have a wood shop do it for you.

I understand the wanting to get it right before you order stuff.

Figured I would jump into this thread with my first DIY project of the summer. With my first little one less than a month away, I am re-doing my wife's grandfather's rocking horse that he built himself 45 years ago. Basically sanding off all the white paint and putting a nice dark stain with a coat of poly afterwards. So the first step is sanding. Lots of sanding...

2F65FBB3-63EF-4B33-8282-2F9E67C227BE_zpsmfdukw7e.jpg

Tonight was dedicated to sanding the base, I took all the screws out, but the boards were apparently glued on as well, so it is going to make sanding this base much harder..

7563A5D8-EA4A-4BC8-9573-442006B2852C_zpsduyxkhbu.jpg

About 2 hours of sanding, still some cleanup to be done. But I am done for the night.

08079E85-6E91-4A15-937E-7E8E9A5D117B_zps01gvpuol.jpg

What an awesome thread. I'm planning on building a farmhouse style dining table this summer. I will definitely be in this thread for some help.

Cool project B-rad! Guessing that's for the little one?

Brad, thats a fantastic project buddy. Very very cool.

Awesome Brad, I want a picture when you get to ride it for the first time.

Nice Brad! Lost of detail sanding coming up soon

Cool project B-rad! Guessing that's for the little one?

Yep, kind of a cool momento to pass down. This was originally my wife's "Project." Usually 80% of her projects turn into mine by default. Lol

I'm taking ownership of this one though, the wood is gorgeous underneath, it's gonna look great once it gets a coat on.

Brad, thats a fantastic project buddy. Very very cool.

Thanks dude, it's gonna be a fun one to finish.

Nice Brad! Lost of detail sanding coming up soon

Man you aren't kidding. The mane is going to take awhile. I'm half tempted to invest in a dremmel, I don't know what type of attachments they have for sanding tho

Plenty of sanding bits for the dremel buddy. You can buy a big old kit from an off brand for a decent price.

Man you aren't kidding. The mane is going to take awhile. I'm half tempted to invest in a dremmel, I don't know what type of attachments they have for sanding tho

Do it, it'll be worth it, and it's never a bad thing to own.

the dremmel and bits will be your savior if you want to avoid stripper

seriously, the dremel is the best single-tool purchase you can make. I pondered for years then finally bought one about 3 years ago. Now I have no idea why I waited so long. I use it all the dang time.

Nice project, btw!

Woodworking / Furniture Building

E7A15D4C-9E6C-40D1-A4AE-12419A9FEC46_zpsl8gxz5p2.jpg

A6628746-9E3C-4FB4-A047-546FBB9B2176_zpsiga163mc.jpg

D2BC0400-81FF-4989-AB63-CD252F0E7E76_zpszybtbfmb.jpg

315ABDAC-08D4-45C2-B587-D7B6CC5AED1A_zpsybak6ch5.jpg

Some updated shots of my project. After disassembling and sanding and reassembling, the horse is ready for puddy and then stain. Can't believe the wood that was underneath that crappy paint!

Brad that looks great, nice job

Back