The Home Theater Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know many on here are big fans of home theater and gear. Thought this would be a good thread to serve as a place to discuss.

I am a huge fan of Home Theater systems but I have neither the know-how or the funds to set one up for myself. I'll follow this thread and maybe I'll get inspired.

• Admin
I am a huge fan of Home Theater systems but I have neither the know-how or the funds to set one up for myself. I'll follow this thread and maybe I'll get inspired.

I was really into it a few years back. Had a complete room (loft) dedicated that was setup. Took out the front projector yesterday and thinking about getting it setup again. Really love what it brings to viewing and the enjoyment of both movies and sports.

Love me a good entertainment system. I have a mid level setup with a pioneer receiver and Polk audio speakers and bass. Looking to upgrade when my basement is finished. Not sure if I want to do a large LCD or projector. I'm leaning towards LCD since we'll likely watch things during daylight.

• Admin
Love me a good entertainment system. I have a mid level setup with a pioneer receiver and Polk audio speakers and bass. Looking to upgrade when my basement is finished. Not sure if I want to do a large LCD or projector. I'm leaning towards LCD since we'll likely watch things during daylight.

Im a front PJ guy, but have gone back and forth do to the room we have set up. However I will say, if ambient light is an issue, Screen Innovations has changed the game for screens. Near perfect color in very light rooms with Black Diamond and close with their mid-level Slate line.

Not crazy expensive but I got my front room set up with a Samsung 67" projection lcd. A Samsung blu-ray, Sony receiver & 6 Infinity speakers. Also have a Directv dvr.
Use to also have with this setup a 200 disc cd changer, reg. Dvd & vcr

Here's my humble basement setup. 4 leather theatre seats with power recline and cupholders, all that good stuff. 70" Vizio Razor 3D LED, 7.2 surround system with monoprice premium bookshelf and center speakers, 2 12" JBL subs, and 4 12" Infinity ceiling speakers. Sony receiver powering that stuff. Lastly is an LG 3D Bluray player to finish it off, and of course the DirectTV to watch my sunday ticket. Then a quick pic of the bar, though it's still a work in process. I'll finish working on that in the winter when I can't golf and fish anymore.

Mine is pretty amateur hour compared to many folks, but I've got a Vizio 42" and an RCA home theater system/bluray with 4 speakers and a sub. Unfortunately the player is now on it's last leg, but the speakers and sub all work great, so I'm currently looking for a new bluray with the surround speaker hookups.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

• Admin
Using the flat screen in the setup looks pretty good. I have always been a front PJ guy for a theater, but that makes me think that an 80 or 85 inch flat screen would do the trick since it solves some space issues.

I'm using a 40" Toshiba LED with a Sony 5.1 Blu-ray/Surround system. Hardly even worth mentioning but we are surprisingly satisfied with it. The room is quite small so anything bigger than a 40" is probably overkill anyways.

Using the flat screen in the setup looks pretty good. I have always been a front PJ guy for a theater, but that makes me think that an 80 or 85 inch flat screen would do the trick since it solves some space issues.
I prefer it over the PJ myself. If we had it wired and ready when the house was built, a projector would have been more feasible, but as it stands it was easier to hang a flat screen up there. Wanted an 80", but that extra 10" was another grand, so we went with the 70"; it fills the wall pretty well though. Behind the TV is a pvc pipe running through the wall to the right, so all the wires are hidden in the wall. Pretty simple setup, but it will shake the pictures off the wall. I'm not a huge audiophile, so it's more than enough.

I'm using a 40" Toshiba LED with a Sony 5.1 Blu-ray/Surround system. Hardly even worth mentioning but we are surprisingly satisfied with it. The room is quite small so anything bigger than a 40" is probably overkill anyways.
Nothing wrong with it if it works for you. We have a 58" 3d set in the main room, but for the dedicated theater I want to be immersed. Already having the front pj helps so I don't have to go spend a fortune. Only thing need are the seats right now.

I swear I have been looking st theater seats forever.

I'm cheap when it comes to this stuff. I have a Toshiba flat screen HD TV with a LG surround sound system using Direct TV. This is in my room. My wife and I watch zero TV together. We both have our own TV rooms.

Looking at a 48" Samsung 3d SMART LED hooked up to a Samsung H7750WM 7.1 SMART Home Cinema System.

We have a side room which I would love to turn into a small theater with big theater seats, a HD-projector and speakers in the walls, ceiling and floor, but the Missus won't let me.

Im a front PJ guy, but have gone back and forth do to the room we have set up. However I will say, if ambient light is an issue, Screen Innovations has changed the game for screens. Near perfect color in very light rooms with Black Diamond and close with their mid-level Slate line.
I'll have to check this out in a showroom when it's time to. I'm looking to drop some serious coin as long as it's the best.

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. We'll be buying a house next summer and a theater room is on my list. I've been looking at HD projectors and screens. I'm going to dedicate a basement room with elevated seating, columns, etc. Some great resource info here -

http://www.diynetwork.com/topics/home-theaters/index.html

I just came up from the man cave. I wanted stadium style seating but the wife wouldn't allow it. We went with a 70" Panasonic Smart TV with Denon 7.1 receiver. I like the set up for now, but down the road stadium style will be the way I go. I would post picture but the disaster area from the Halloween party still exists.

I've always been a fan of big and loud systems. But when I got married my wife slowly made me downgrade with each new tv purchase. Because of the pretty furniture she had to have, the biggest tv I could fit in it was a 42". We went with the Samsumg led (2012 model). The room is wired for a 5.1 system, but I haven't bought one yet. It's on the long list of things to get for the house.

I did go look at the new Samsung 70+ inch curved LED LCD's and they are amazing. I'm tempted to remove the top portion of our tv stand/entertainment furniture so that I can put one of them in the room. I'd be in big trouble though.

Paradigm speakers w/ 15" velyodyne 1000 Watt Rms sub. Yamaha receiver and 60"samsung plasma. Would be much better in a dedicated theater room for sure. Sub is crazy powerful, call of Duty grenades will literally knock pictures off the walls. ?

65"Samsung DLP.,Bose acoustimass 10 series surround sound Samsung blueray,Denon receiver ... Waiting for the prices to come down and will upgrade the tv to a 65" 4K awesome pictures.....
410217391.jpg

410217392.jpg
410217393.jpg

I use to have a theater room in my house. I had an 8' x 6' retractable screen with a masking system I built with black curtains and pulleys to adjust for different screen ratios. I got rid of it a few years ago when we decided we needed a 4th bedroom more than we needed a theater room.

Researching theater seating and its exhausting.
So many brands, so many options and in the end, many times you have to purchase without sitting in them.

65"Samsung DLP.,Bose acoustimass 10 series surround sound Samsung blueray,Denon receiver ... Waiting for the prices to come down and will upgrade the tv to a 65" 4K awesome pictures.....
410217391.jpg

Nice buck.

Researching theater seating and its exhausting.
So many brands, so many options and in the end, many times you have to purchase without sitting in them.

I feel ya. Nowhere to sit in one around here, so I spent a month scouring the net.. I went with Palliser and couldn't be happier. It's extremely well built.

I feel ya. Nowhere to sit in one around here, so I spent a month scouring the net.. I went with Palliser and couldn't be happier. It's extremely well built.
Which model? Pics of setup? I like the look of a few Palliser models.

Back