Car Detailing Thread

nice ride Joe

That S2K doesn't suck. Thanks for the info on the foam canon. I do have a pressure washer but might just go with the foamer thing you can put on a hose for $50. I will admit that I've gotten a bit OCD with the videos of this stuff I've seen on YouTube...

So, since I just waxed, would I have to strip the wax to get the sealant down properly or can I go over the new wax?

Thanks Man!
Thanks brother, paints going on 12+ years old! To strip the wax you applied, just give it a wash with a few drops of dish soap in your wash bucket (with water obv.) vs. car washing soap. Then apply the sealant, then wax! If I am in a time crunch, I use Poorboy's World EX Sealant w/Carnuba Wax.
I have a hose foam gun too, the key with those is using enough good quality high concentrated car soap.

Last edited:
Ya, but how many sets of clubs can it hold? :arrogant:
Haha, only one and I have to remove the driver from my bag + put it in the front seat. Buy hey, I'm just glad it can hold my clubs in the trunk!

I put about 4 hours into my car this weekend with a pre-winter wax of Mother's Ultimate Wax. I didn't prep the paint but damn, it came out sweet. 2006 Acura TL in Antracite Gray with 140K miles on it. I've done some research and will be claying and full paint-prep in the spring. Trying to decide on a good foam-canon and I also picked up a Porter Cable 7424XP DA with my wife's work discount for around $50 vs $130 MSRP will get some appropriate pads for and will be ready to go.

Back in the day when I participated in car audio shows, I'd spend days getting the car ready including using Zymol polish. For kicks I just went to their web site...what a bunch of pompous arrogant asses. http://www.zymol.com/royale.aspx

I have a Chemical Guys foam lance that I use with my pressure washer. It's great for knocking off most of the winter road salt and grime, but not much else. You can spend $80 on a lot more useful things for detailing - like microfiber towels, or Daytona wheel brushes, or any number of things. I already had the pressure washer and pretty much everything else for detailing, so I bought it on a whim...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447292339.341814.jpg

God Lordy! What a collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say somewhere around none.

1 set fits nicely in the passenger seat! Love the S2K! It's on my short list of 2 seat sports cars to consider buying when a couple of my kids are out of the house in a few years. The other two on my list are a Boxster S or if finances allow, an Jag F Type.

Might give that optimum no rinse a shot soon. I like being able to wash the car in the garage this winter without having to spray it off.

Might give that optimum no rinse a shot soon. I like being able to wash the car in the garage this winter without having to spray it off.

ONR is great and versatile, can use as a wash, clay lube, drying aide, quick detailer...really good bang for the buck.

Anybody have experience/thoughts on the chemical guys stuff?

I have a lot of it here. They make a lot of products for different labels too.
I dont use most of it currently, but some of it is solid quality.

What stuff specifically? I have used their Mr. Pink wash soap, Gloss Workz, Hybrid V7 Spray Sealant, and Stripper Scent. All great products except the Gloss Workz, not really worth the extra money.

What stuff specifically? I have used their Mr. Pink wash soap, Gloss Workz, Hybrid V7 Spray Sealant, and Stripper Scent. All great products except the Gloss Workz, not really worth the extra money.
Sorry should've been more specific. Basic wash/wax stuff and interior stuff. Just curious for things like washing car, detailing wheels/tires, interior surfaces how their stuff compares to store stuff (mothers, mequires etc...)

Will be detailing and polishing White Lion before placing him in storage this weekend. Will be applying a coat of paint sealant that I get for free from work. It's called Super Polysteel. Bugs just spray off after it's been applied. This stuff is like magic. I will post a pic before the car cover goes on.

Sorry should've been more specific. Basic wash/wax stuff and interior stuff. Just curious for things like washing car, detailing wheels/tires, interior surfaces how their stuff compares to store stuff (mothers, mequires etc...)
I'm not super brand loyal when it comes to my detailing products, just what works the best and fits in my budget. All of the higher end stuff works equally as good, when compared to each other.

Car wash soap is kinda like putters, personal preference as long as it's PH neutral, I use CG Mr. Pink and Optimum.
Tire dressing: Poorboy's World Bold N' Bright.
Wheel cleaner: Sonax Total Effect and just regular wash soap with good wheel brushes.
Wax is again kinda personal preference, I've used Poorboys World Natty's for a long time.
Interior surfaces, I highly recommend 303 Aerospace. Some of the best stuff to keep a matte finish that does not attract dust.

If you want a great site to buy a gamut of products, check out detailedimage.com

Last edited:
I can't recommend Collinite Insulator wax enough. It will last an entire winter with minimal upkeep. As for Chemical Guys, they have some decent stuff. I've used just about every wash they make and like the Mr Pink the most of all of them (though I use Megs Gold Class currently). Perl is my tire dressing right now - long lasting and not too much shine. I've tried every Griots product, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask...

Any Other Car Detailing Fanatics?

Okay so as a non car detailer that cares about his car and has never lived in a snowy environment...

What do I need to do before winter to help protect my car?

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay so as a non car detailed that cares about his car and has never lived in a snowy environment...

What do I need to do before winter to help protect my car?

Good cleaning.
Solid sealant
Then layer with a Carnauba wax.

Good cleaning.
Solid sealant
Then layer with a Carnauba wax.

Product specific recommendations for all those steps? I'll take anyone's word for it and invest as needed.

FYI apartment living is absolutely terrible.

Product specific recommendations for all those steps? I'll take anyone's word for it and invest as needed.

I personally have had very good luck with Collinite Insulator over Klasse sealant. You'll get 6 good months of protection with it. Check out Autogeek forums for application tips on the Collinite.

Sure. For me I would go Klasse All in One
Topped with Klasse Sealant
Then topped with P21S Carnauba.

Its what I used when I loved up north and it treated me well.

Thanks guys. I have a weekend project after the granddaddy rolls in.

Any Other Car Detailing Fanatics?

I personally have had very good luck with Collinite Insulator over Klasse sealant. You'll get 6 good months of protection with it. Check out Autogeek forums for application tips on the Collinite.

Duplicate post

One of my favorite all-in-one products has to be Poorboy's World EX Sealant w/Carnuba Wax. Takes out having to both seal then wax your car. Also their products are great for someone without a garage etc. since you can use it in the sun, where some other products can be super picky about that.

Back