Car Detailing Thread

Not a detailing person as I don't have the patience to do it, but I took my car yesterday to have it done and here is a picture of the finished result

There are a couple more on the Facebook page of the company - The Shining Monkeys
ddf96107368b05906126b068cd043cfd.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I used a little bit of Griots polish/wax on my Triton driver, FG F5 3 wood and TM hybrid. They are bright and shiny now.
They all behaved during a range session so I shined them up. Makes them feel wanted,,, right?

Way back when I detailed cars while in college. I am not a fanatic, but I do keep my vehicle very clean. Winters can be difficult though...not the exterior, but the interior.

I used a little bit of Griots polish/wax on my Triton driver, FG F5 3 wood and TM hybrid. They are bright and shiny now.
They all behaved during a range session so I shined them up. Makes them feel wanted,,, right?
Most car polish/wax can be used safely on golf club heads (woods/hybrids). I use a product like Meguiars M105 then top with a sealant or wax, makes quick work of any sky marks etc.

Broke out the old supplies to do a new car detail. Should have requested them to not do any pre-delivery prep. There were some hazy circles where someone inexperienced probably tried to polish out imperfections/scratches. And leave it up to service to put microscratches on the front bumper:angry:
A mild one step polish took out 98% of it. Goes in for a clear bra on Monday...so hopefully they’ll take out the other 2% lol. Then when I get it back...it’s another quick detail and ceramic coat.

Using the PC 7424? Always a great tried and true machine, didn't even have a chance to buff my car this year. Might try before the snow hits!

I’ve always been into hand washing my cars. I’m a fan of Blackfire products and specifically their Crystal Seal.

Additionally, I just purchased a de-ionized water system. I use it for the final rinse and HO LEE CRAP its amazing. Zero (and seriously, like zero) water spots!

2876B374-0321-495D-832D-F79B14EDA81B.jpeg

I’ve always been into hand washing my cars. I’m a fan of Blackfire products and specifically their Crystal Seal.

Additionally, I just purchased a de-ionized water system. I use it for the final rinse and HO LEE CRAP its amazing. Zero (and seriously, like zero) water spots!
Always wondered how good those systems were, how much did it run you if you don't mind me asking?
I will say a properly paint corrected/sealed or coated car will not have nearly all the problems with water spots etc. due to the water sheeting so fast.

Using the PC 7424? Always a great tried and true machine, didn't even have a chance to buff my car this year. Might try before the snow hits!

Yeh it’s a work horse....had it a long time. No reason to buy a new orbital polisher when this one is still working fine. I honestly don’t use it that often though only once or twice a couple years. I’m meticulous in my washing method...to minimize any wash induced swirls.

Always wondered how good those systems were, how much did it run you if you don't mind me asking?
I will say a properly paint corrected/sealed or coated car will not have nearly all the problems with water spots etc. due to the water sheeting so fast.

I got the Double Chuck de-ionizer. It’s awesome and simple. $400

The Blackfire products are great too, can’t recall what I paid, but it’s on par with any other high end polymer.

AD7DB70D-047D-47F2-8F39-2901744C39C4.jpg

The Blackfire products are great too, can’t recall what I paid, but it’s on par with any other high end polymer.

View attachment 35535

Man that looks great! I'll be in Vegas this weekend. Wanna detail the Edge for me? :D

Kidding. That does look fantastic though man. I always have the best intentions to detail my cars. In the end, I never seem to be able to find the time.

Man that looks great! I'll be in Vegas this weekend. Wanna detail the Edge for me? :D

Kidding. That does look fantastic though man. I always have the best intentions to detail my cars. In the end, I never seem to be able to find the time.
Honestly now en days there are so many great independent detailers in every state. You can find an affordable solution that won't kill your wallet. Once the car is properly paint corrected/sealed, it makes things a lot easier in the long run.

Honestly now en days there are so many great independent detailers in every state. You can find an affordable solution that won't kill your wallet. Once the car is properly paint corrected/sealed, it makes things a lot easier in the long run.

I definitely agree. I used to have a detailer come to my work a couple times a year to get both cars detailed. But I haven't done it in a while due security changes here.

I don’t have the time either. All it really takes though is good paint correction and protection afterwards. After that it’s proper paint care and washing technique. And what ever you do. Don’t let the dealer wash the car....because they will erase all the hours/time/money you put into correcting the paint, in one wash.

Got my car back after full front PPF. Another quick detail and full ceramic coat....except the wheels. I’ll do those when I take them off and switch to winter set. First time working with ceramic coat.

It's crazy to think in just about a year or so time there are so many brands of ceramic coatings. Not to mention a lot of the original brands were very difficult to use/expensive. Still have yet to take the time to paint correct/prep/ceramic coat any of my rides, maybe next year!
I mean just the other day I saw some professional detail shops use air brushes to apply ceramic coatings on harder to apply surfaces (wheels, intricate grills, etc.), wild.

I never wash my car in the sun because of fear of water spots. have no issues if I stay out of the sun. But I have to time when I wash my car. Does the de-ionizer prevent that and allow washing in the sun?

Not a complete detail unless I ceramic coat the brakes too ? . Good prep for upcoming winter!

45695038375_a82b475110_c.jpg

New car means it’s time to get back into detailing (that’ll please the wife). Looking forward to seeing what I can do with the yellow paint. So far a torq foam gun, some CG snow foam, Prima Amigo glaze and Jescar Power Lock have been added to the arsenal. All I need now are a couple of days of good weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New car means it’s time to get back into detailing (that’ll please the wife). Looking forward to seeing what I can do with the yellow paint. So far a torq foam gun, some CG snow foam, Prima Amigo glaze and Jescar Power Lock have been added to the arsenal. All I need now are a couple of days of good weather.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With lighter colored paint, lighting is key to find the imperfections and correcting it properly. I think I am going to invest in one of those attachable LED lights for my Flex polisher on top of my LED garage lights and headlamp I use. Wish Winter was coming to an end here in WNY, but I have at least 3 more months of crap weather :0(

There are some auto detailing wipes on Ebay that my buddy uses on his very exotic cars here in SoCal. He said they're used by OEM aircraft makers at their finish detail paint facilities. They are 4 layers of 100% cotton, a gauze-like weave, with sewn edges to prevent snagging. They are 18x18 in size, packs of 50. They're extremely soft and light which prevent scratching or abrasions. I can find the link if anyone wants to check them out.

Purchased some new detailing stuff over the winter. Highly recommend Meguiar's new line up, there Hybrid Ceramic Wax is a great drying agent/topper for after you wash your car. It's cheap insurance especially in the winter time if you live on the east coast. Beads exceptionally good even on my Q5's paint that hasn't gotten a proper decon/paint correction/ceramic coating yet:
hXu407yl.jpg

Also picked up some M100 which is a pro grade version of the popular M105, cannot wait to use this in the spring. I used it quickly on the barrels of some new (used) rims I bought to remove some rust stains, made them look like new:
5JXFZZGl.jpg

Lastly grabbed some of the Quick Interior Detailer, haven't used it a lot yet but should do the trick for quick wipe downs. Have always used 303 Aerospace and still will, but for quick clean ups this will be nice.

Nice!! I’m trying to decided whether I’m gonna get the CR spotless dic20 and Kranzle k1122tst complete system from obsessed garage. Figure if anything I’ll start with the dic20. Comments suggestions?

Nice!! I’m trying to decided whether I’m gonna get the CR spotless dic20 and Kranzle k1122tst complete system from obsessed garage. Figure if anything I’ll start with the dic20. Comments suggestions?
Personally while I think high end equipment like Kranzle and and water filtration systems are great. Spending $1500 on that IMO is just overkill for the average person. I honestly love watching detailing YouTuber's, but I def. think they are there to market you products as well. I think by simply getting your vehicles properly paint corrected, sealed or ceramic coated. Then keeping that paint correction/maintained you really don't need a high end system like that. I use a pedestrian Ryobi 1600psi 1.2gpm electric pressure washer with an Amazon short trigger sprayer/foam cannon and get great results. I think all in I paid $100ish for the whole setup. Sure I could probably benefit from a slightly higher gpm pressure washer (better foam), but it works great (and I have been detailing for 15+ years).
I also have always used an electric leaf blower to aid in drying my cars. The combination of properly corrected/protected paint, with tools like I have net excellent results. Water sheets off very fast and allows me to dry very easily with virtually no water spots.
In my experience with detailing, sometimes simpler is better.

Personally while I think high end equipment like Kranzle and and water filtration systems are great. Spending $1500 on that IMO is just overkill for the average person. I honestly love watching detailing YouTuber's, but I def. think they are there to market you products as well. I think by simply getting your vehicles properly paint corrected, sealed or ceramic coated. Then keeping that paint correction/maintained you really don't need a high end system like that. I use a pedestrian Ryobi 1600psi 1.2gpm electric pressure washer with an Amazon short trigger sprayer/foam cannon and get great results. I think all in I paid $100ish for the whole setup. Sure I could probably benefit from a slightly higher gpm pressure washer (better foam), but it works great (and I have been detailing for 15+ years).
I also have always used an electric leaf blower to aid in drying my cars. The combination of properly corrected/protected paint, with tools like I have net excellent results. Water sheets off very fast and allows me to dry very easily with virtually no water spots.
In my experience with detailing, sometimes simpler is better.

True. I bought a foam gun a while ago...and hardly used it....because it added another step that honestly didn’t really benefit me imo. But it also doesn’t provide the real foam look I want haha. I’m more intrigued with getting the water filtration. I never had an issue with water spots and always used a leaf blower as well. But I have to time my washes, park my car where the shade is, rush to get it done and dried before the sun hit the car or just wait for a cloudy day. My driveway gets a lot of sun. Basically adding the water filtration would give me more freedom of when I can wash my car....at least that’s what I’m telling myself to justify the cost lol.

True. I bought a foam gun a while ago...and hardly used it....because it added another step that honestly didn’t really benefit me imo. But it also doesn’t provide the real foam look I want haha. I’m more intrigued with getting the water filtration. I never had an issue with water spots and always used a leaf blower as well. But I have to time my washes, park my car where the shade is, rush to get it done and dried before the sun hit the car or just wait for a cloudy day. My driveway gets a lot of sun. Basically adding the water filtration would give me more freedom of when I can wash my car....at least that’s what I’m telling myself to justify the cost lol.
While water filtration helps with water spotting, it still won't completely solve your main issue that your driveway gets a lot of sun.
Here are a few tricks I use:
If possible park your car in the garage or near a shaded area prior to you wanting to wash your car, helps lower the temperature of the paint. Therefore slowing the drying time of the water.
Position the car where at least 50% of it is shaded in some way. If you don't even have that, buy a large pop-up party tent ($100 at most). You can usually fit most vehicles under those or even use it add shade by positioning it next to your car. Rinse/wash section by section starting from the largest shaded section/side instead of hosing down the whole car. When I say section I mean dividing the car in 4 parts (driver/passenger/front/back).
Also no matter what I do my rims/tires/wheel wells first before I apply any water to the car's painted surfaces. People forget to utilize the slow normal flow of the hose water after they are done washing and rinsing the car w/a trigger sprayer or pressure washer. If it is properly protected, start from the top of the car with just the slow water stream working your way to the hook/trunk/sides. It will remove/sheet the water off the car easily. Then having your leaf blower already plugged in/hooked up and ready to go allows you to not waste even 5 mins, this is key when the water dries super fast. Lastly I use a quick detailer or some type of synthetic sealant spray to help aid drying the car b/c the panels get dry so quick. Starting from the side or sides that are in direct sunlight.
I use all these techniques even when it's completely shaded and never had an issue with water spotting or paint etching ever. I have owned/own Black colored vehicles for most my life.
I just think that too many people believe there is a magic product or device that will solve a huge problem, but it is the combination of a lot of stuff that doesn't require any money that can help.

Back