Car Detailing Thread

I’ve always used traditional clay....but am contemplating trying a clay mitt. Anyone have any experience with those?

Wash Day!

kNv9voy.jpg

I’ve always used traditional clay....but am contemplating trying a clay mitt. Anyone have any experience with those?

I have had good use of clay mitts in addition to the traditional clay. Works great for an in between full clay barring.

My wife and I's car after being freshly waxed. Nothing looks better than a black car after a fresh wax. Unfortunately I don't have the Subaru anymore :(

Attachments

• photo36470.jpg
    photo36470.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • photo36471.jpg
    photo36471.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Been awhile but finally got the time to decon/clay/paint correct/seal my Q5. Just have not had a free weekend in forever. Honestly paint was not in bad shape at all, just needed some TLC to get jeweled up.
For those wondering what products I used:
Main buffer is a Flex XC3401 with both a 6" and 5" backing plate. Also a Flex Kompakt PE8 rotary for smaller areas like the pillars etc. using 1"/2"/3" backing plates.
For pads I used mostly Meguiars DMC5 microfiber cutting and Lake Country Orange light cutting pads.
For polish I used Meguiars M100 (only did a one step because I wasn't trying to get the paint 100% perfect, M100 does a great job finishing down)
Sealant was Jescar Powerlock+ topped off with Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine (stuff is amazing for the price)
Clay bar was Meguiars C-2000 Professional Detailing Clay Mild (another ridiculously good product that people overlook)

UuRRSQ5l.jpg

XoLH5z3l.jpg

ZnakZKhl.jpg

IoOnfctl.jpg

l7kFAVnl.jpg

vw7jka5l.jpg

VGvnmU5l.jpg

A6WFnVyl.jpg

Last edited:
Does the snow foam actually work better?
I like foam better as you spray on and let it "soak" for a minute or two. For me, I use foam as an initial soak and then use my sponge to wash the car. I feel it gets more grime off the car before you put a sponge on it. More grime off the car, the less chance to get any surface scratches etc.

I like foam better as you spray on and let it "soak" for a minute or two. For me, I use foam as an initial soak and then use my sponge to wash the car. I feel it gets more grime off the car before you put a sponge on it. More grime off the car, the less chance to get any surface scratches etc.

Cool thanks. I'm always looking for new ways to wash the Camaro :cool:

Foam def. is a nice way to pre-soak a dirty car, but find it overkill most of the time. I too have one of the "cheap" Amazon ones which works fine, the real key to good foam is your pressure washer's GPM rating. Higher GPM's = thicker better foam. This year I have been doing Optimum No Rinse washes 90% of the time tho, uses a lot less water and takes me 1/3 the time than a regular "hose" wash. That goes with saying my car is properly coated and protected so any grime comes off with ease.

Looking for some help getting some car detailing inventory. What does everyone like? I've been on a Chemical Guys kick lately as I just bought some interior stuff from them but I'm looking at some waxes for the exterior of my two black cars. Any suggestions?

Looking for some help getting some car detailing inventory. What does everyone like? I've been on a Chemical Guys kick lately as I just bought some interior stuff from them but I'm looking at some waxes for the exterior of my two black cars. Any suggestions?
Like golf clubs, sticking to one manufacturer won't necessarily give you the best value/results. Not to sound harsh but I would categorize Chemical Guys products as a gimmicky/middle of the road manufacturer.
What skill level would you categorize your auto detailing prowess? More of a novice or do you have experience with paint decontamination/paint correction & buffing?
Being someone that has owned two black vehicles and professionally detailed for 16+ yrs, getting the most out of black paint has to do with getting it properly paint corrected first and foremost. After that I could suggest some products/methods to properly maintain it.

Like golf clubs, sticking to one manufacturer won't necessarily give you the best value/results. Not to sound harsh but I would categorize Chemical Guys products as a gimmicky/middle of the road manufacturer.
What skill level would you categorize your auto detailing prowess? More of a novice or do you have experience with paint decontamination/paint correction & buffing?
Being someone that has owned two black vehicles and professionally detailed for 16+ yrs, getting the most out of black paint has to do with getting it properly paint corrected first and foremost. After that I could suggest some products/methods to properly maintain it.
So I'm very much a novice when it comes to car detailing. With one car being a 2012 that is the one that I think needs the most work as I have probably just done the basic wax on it two times a year as it was my wife's car. That car has now become mine when we purchased her 2020 this past month and that is really what I'm looking for, just wanting to keep that investment looking sharp!

So I'm very much a novice when it comes to car detailing. With one car being a 2012 that is the one that I think needs the most work as I have probably just done the basic wax on it two times a year as it was my wife's car. That car has now become mine when we purchased her 2020 this past month and that is really what I'm looking for, just wanting to keep that investment looking sharp!
Completely understand.
I highly recommend looking up some YouTube videos/info online on using the Porter Cable 7424 random orbital buffer, one of the most easy to use dummy proof entry level buffers out there. I started out with one and loved it, will allow you to tackle not only paint correction but applying sealants/waxes. You usually can buy a kit that gives you a variety of different buffing pads that will get you up and running.
For correction polishes, I always recommend the Meguiars M105/M205 combo. Inexpensive and gets the job done with ease, also Griots Garage makes a nice set of polishes as well.
For a durable sealant, nothing beats Jescar Powerlock+ and then top it off with Collinite 845 liquid wax.
The sooner you get to re-setting your paint by decontaminating/buffing/protecting it properly the easier future maintenance gets.
Here's some pics of my daily Audi Q5 after I decon'd/paint corrected/protected it this past Summer:
ZnakZKhl.jpg

UuRRSQ5l.jpg

And my 17+ yr old Honda S2000 which is Berlina Black. When I bought it 9 yrs ago the paint was hammered:
B7jvLGpl.jpg

8cocoWml.jpg

Also my old Audi A4 which was Moonlight Blue Metallic:
zTYWYoUl.jpg

What's a good product to get stains out of seats? I've got a 2011 taurus with the cloth interior. There has been some iced tea spilled on the passenger seat bottom and it stained. The interior is kind of a beige/black/putty gray mix with the seat upholstery being the putty gray.

What's a good product to get stains out of seats? I've got a 2011 taurus with the cloth interior. There has been some iced tea spilled on the passenger seat bottom and it stained. The interior is kind of a beige/black/putty gray mix with the seat upholstery being the putty gray.
I live and die by Folex, it works great on pretty much any fabric. I use it on golf hats a lot to get out dirt stains. I've even used it on my microfiber couch etc. You can pick it up locally at Walmart I think.

I'll second what Choppstixxx suggested. Folex is a staple in our house with two dogs. It has also gotten grease from a plumbers tool box out of our carpet. It is an amazing product for any stains!

Folex. I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks! @choppstixxx

Is it just spray on and wipe off?

Awesome!

Folex. I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks! @choppstixxx

Is it just spray on and wipe off?
I always spray on then use my fingernail to agitate and blot dry for smaller stains. If it's a bigger stain I use a soft bristle brush for the agitation.

I always spray on then use my fingernail to agitate and blot dry for smaller stains. If it's a bigger stain I use a soft bristle brush for the agitation.

What do you recommend for aluminum rims without getting into the sanding down approach? something that's not super labor intensive. I've got a motorcycle with rims that have seen better days but don't have much access to the back rim without taking it off so a lot of rubbing would be a pain. TIA

What do you recommend for aluminum rims without getting into the sanding down approach? something that's not super labor intensive. I've got a motorcycle with rims that have seen better days but don't have much access to the back rim without taking it off so a lot of rubbing would be a pain. TIA
With polishing motorcycle rims, removing them from the frame makes it the easiest IMO. If you arn't mechanically inclined to do that, you could also put it on a motorcycle jack so it is up a bit higher (so you arn't bending over). Also a foam polishing cone like this in conjunction with an aluminum mag safe polish will probably be your best friend, however you will still have to do some tighter areas by hand. Lastly if they have a lot of tar/build up on them, I would clay bar them before you do any cleaning/polishing.

Last edited:
Back