Any Sports Card Collectors here

I have a specific question I'd like to ask after this one, but firstly, does anyone know how autographs (authentic autographs) are "graded" by card-grading companies?

they basically have handwriting experts that confirm whether or not that signature matches that of confirmed authentic version of that signature.

That is why depending on who it is they charge different dollar amounts to authenticate because some are tougher than others and some have way more attempts at fraud than others.

No let me be clear.

I'm talking about the autographs that the players sign through a contract with a company. Not one you attain from a player personally.

Most of the rookies coming out now sign cards with companies.

OK, I get it. I stopped buying cards by the time those pre-autographed cards became common in packs so I don't know how those are considered versus non autographed versions. Its been a while since I've even read a Beckett price guide.

they basically have handwriting experts that confirm whether or not that signature matches that of confirmed authentic version of that signature.

That is why depending on who it is they charge different dollar amounts to authenticate because some are tougher than others and some have way more attempts at fraud than others.

So...the signature itself isn't "graded" per se?

For example. We all have a personal signature. I personally think some of my signatures look way better than others - some of my signatures I'd want to be examples of a perfect signature representation of my signature, if I could.

But I can't sign my name the way I'd like it to look every time.

Get what i'm saying?

So are you saying that every signature isn't graded that way for these players? We know they are authentic signatures...that is not disputed because they sign a contract that confirms they are authentic signatures.

But the signatures themselves then are not actually graded?

Let break it down even more in layman's terms.

Mike Trout signs two cards for a company. We know both signatures are authentic Trout autographs.

One of those signatures was just kind of scribbled quickly and poorly. The other one was done nicely, with effort.

Will one of them receive a poorer grade, and the better, clearer one receive a better grade? Or are they all given the same quality "grade"?

I have a shoe box full of 60's baseball players. Mickey, Roger Maris, Yogi, Brooks Robinson, Wille. No to find a safe way to value and sell.

Northerner;n8615198 said:
Let break it down even more in layman's terms.

Mike Trout signs two cards for a company. We know both signatures are authentic Trout autographs.

One of those signatures was just kind of scribbled quickly and poorly. The other one was done nicely, with effort.

Will one of them receive a poorer grade, and the better, clearer one receive a better grade? Or are they all given the same quality "grade"?

It is my understanding that what you describe is correct, and a candidate for a lower grade. I saw a lower grade for an autograph because the sharpie was starting to run out of ink.

I have a shoe box full of 60's baseball players. Mickey, Roger Maris, Yogi, Brooks Robinson, Wille. No to find a safe way to value and sell.

If you're looking for help with pricing and possibly selling let me know

Haven't collected in a while, but decided to look back in some boxes. Found my 2 favorites of a guy I went to high school with. Only card ever made of him were IMG_20200116_111741107.jpgthese super bowl cards.

I used to be. Had some nice stuff like an autographed Hank Aaron card. Sold it all 10 years ago.

I try to look at prices on eBay but they seem all over the place. I was digging through some boxes at home of old stuff.
Found PGA tour sets of cards from 1990, 1991 and 1992. Some sites have a Tom Watson cars for $100 yet you can get the set for $10?

Alonzo Mourning and maybe a Shaq rookie card?

I laughed when I saw I had 4 unopened wax pack boxes of Topps Baseball cards from 1988. Imagine how the gum tastes? I probably need to find a place to let me know what it’s all worth to sell

Collected in the late 80's. Still have them.

I have a ton of stuff, nothing really worth anything, but fun to look through from time to time, I had a couple favorites like a David Robinson and Shaq rookie cards.

Ok so I'm addicted to box breaking now. Any one else do it at all where you buy teams or random teams in a break

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

My mom moved out of my childhood home this weekend. I picked my collection up last week. I have every set of Topps from 1978 - 1997. And Donruss and Fleer from 83-97 and whatever year Upper Deck started which I think was 89.

I collected 25 years ago. I still have them but have not done anything in a long time. Maybe some day I’ll hit the big score. ;) Cards are not what they once were.

It's so much different now. Now it's all about short print autographs. The exception is Mike trout all his stuff is $$$

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Never really got into it. I have 1 card which is a 1973 Tops Nolan Ryan that I had since 1990 that sits in a plastic, screwed together case, in my drawer.

I was into it heavy once Ken Griffey Jr. hit the scene til about the early 2000's. Every penny of my allowance went to cards. Pretty much stopped after Lebron's rookie season with exception of trying to find some Ex Kentucky basketball players like John Wall & Anthony Davis stuff. I haven't looked at a Beckett for 10 years or more. I need to get one if Beckett's are still a thing. :D

DFF8338B-0380-4310-ABF9-69FF94C6BA9C.jpeg

I've gotten back into collecting big time since this covid situation started and I've had a ton of free time.

I've finally cataloged my entire Barry Larkin collection that I started when I was a kid, and have added A LOT to it in the last month. I'm currently sitting at 850 different cards of his.

I've also cataloged my vintage Reds stuff and have about 200 cards from the 70s and before. My oldest being a 1909-1911 Piedmont tobacco card.

Some of the sales for cards lately have been insane.

Just in the last year, Mike Trout Superfractor sold for $3.9 million

Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps Mint 9 RC sold for over $5 million

Gretzky OPC RC Gem 10 sold for over $1 million

The rich getting richer really do have a lot of disposable income to throw away on cardboard.

Back