The Swimming Pool Thread

We use a robot to vaccuum each day, but added a little pool skimmer to the top today. Its a little bucket that attaches to the vacuum that skims the top of the pool constantly and sends the water through the filter. What a difference. Forget it keeping the top clean, the water flow on the top seems outstanding so far which is nice knowing the water is constantly flowing through the filter. Liking what I am seeing.

3cfcec2e663f1a7b1e4001f83b7f3590.jpg
I've got to get one of those! There are several large palo verde trees just over out fence and in the spring they drop thousands of yellow petals in my pool. They just sit there on the top of the water.

I've got to get one of those! There are several large palo verde trees just over out fence and in the spring they drop thousands of yellow petals in my pool. They just sit there on the top of the water.

We are caged so don't have any big debris, but for skimming anything that was on ours (gnats and such), completely gone in 2 cycles.

GG and I are both pretty darn blown away by this thing.

Are the "cages" primarily due to bugs or something else?

A lot of rich folk on here...

We have had an above ground 21 fitter for 15 years. Replaced it once when some odd winter weather wreaked havoc with a lot of pool liners here in New England and pools collapsed.

We got another one, kids don't use it much now being in college but my wife and use it all summer.
Maintenance, hardly anything...we have a salt system and to be honest at the beginning of the year it costs me under $75 to get shock, salt increased or what ever it needs when we have the water tested ...then nothing for the rest of the year. The salt system is magic!

Are the "cages" primarily due to bugs or something else?

For many it's about creating that outdoor living space on a patio that is partly sheltered and keep a lot of rain that we get in the summers off of it.

Makes perfect sense. Do you get the same high humidity inside as you do outside? Does it have a greenhouse effect to it, or is it somehow climate controlled to a point?

We use a robot to vaccuum each day, but added a little pool skimmer to the top today. Its a little bucket that attaches to the vacuum that skims the top of the pool constantly and sends the water through the filter. What a difference. Forget it keeping the top clean, the water flow on the top seems outstanding so far which is nice knowing the water is constantly flowing through the filter. Liking what I am seeing.

3cfcec2e663f1a7b1e4001f83b7f3590.jpg

Do you have a side skimmer that empties into a mess basket?

Makes perfect sense. Do you get the same high humidity inside as you do outside? Does it have a greenhouse effect to it, or is it somehow climate controlled to a point?

No greenhouse effect. Under our covered area we have three high powered ceiling fans.

Do you have a side skimmer that empties into a mess basket?

Yes we do.

No greenhouse effect. Under our covered area we have three high powered ceiling fans.

Yes we do.

That wasn't cleaning the top of the pool enough?

That wasn't cleaning the top of the pool enough?

Large pool and I noticed some areas I wasn't satisfied with. I'm sure most of the year it's fine but deep summer I was seeing some gnats and wanted clear...haha

Large pool and I noticed some areas I wasn't satisfied with. I'm sure most of the year it's fine but deep summer I was seeing some gnats and wanted clear...haha

Makes sense and you do have an Olympic size pool

We are caged so don't have any big debris, but for skimming anything that was on ours (gnats and such), completely gone in 2 cycles.

GG and I are both pretty darn blown away by this thing.

is that designed for being used with various robots or specific to the one you have? if various, would you mind sharing make and model?

Makes sense and you do have an Olympic size pool
Haha not at all. Just seemed like no matter what, we couldn't get all the gnats. We have huge oak trees and 12' hedges all around our house, so that means lots of bugs.
is that designed for being used with various robots or specific to the one you have? if various, would you mind sharing make and model?
It works with any Robot, you just attach it to the hose and the robot.

I suggest buying a membership to someplace that has one.

had one growing up, and to be mantained properly takes a lot of work

I'll second this. After having three pools at different houses the expense far outweighs the use.

Had a pool two houses ago, lot of work but really nice if you will use it. Now I love other peoples pools.

Had a pool two houses ago, lot of work but really nice if you will use it. Now I love other peoples pools.

You down with OPP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha not at all. Just seemed like no matter what, we couldn't get all the gnats. We have huge oak trees and 12' hedges all around our house, so that means lots of bugs.

It works with any Robot, you just attach it to the hose and the robot.

Unrelated topic but I had, stress had a 40' oak in front of my house til wife had it taken down. I found out when the 6 guys showed up to remove

Unrelated topic but I had, stress had a 40' oak in front of my house til wife had it taken down. I found out when the 6 guys showed up to remove
I would love to get rid of them but the city won't allow it. There is 1 they might consider because the roots are starting to cause damage to the city owned sidewalk. How is the bug situation from the cut down tree? That's always a fear of mine too. All those bugs need to relocate somewhere.

I would love to get rid of them but the city won't allow it. There is 1 they might consider because the roots are starting to cause damage to the city owned sidewalk. How is the bug situation from the cut down tree? That's always a fear of mine too. All those bugs need to relocate somewhere.

We have not noticed anything new. But it also has been raining a good bit so we will have to see once it stops. I can tell you a few years ago we had three lugustum trees by the pool. I cut them down and we no longer had algae issues or bugs in the back. Best thing I did.

We have not noticed anything new. But it also has been raining a good bit so we will have to see once it stops. I can tell you a few years ago we had three lugustum trees by the pool. I cut them down and we no longer had algae issues or bugs in the back. Best thing I did.
I probably say at least once a day thay I want to remove all the oak trees and replace them with palm trees.

Can anybody recommend a good, reliable, durable natural gas pool heater in the 100,000-125,000 BTUH range? Can you recommend any to avoid? I had to replace the igniter on our eight year old heater for the third time and the insides are starting to look old and rusty. For what it's worth, it's a Jandy Lite2 LJ, which three different parts guys have described as "the worst heater ever made." I expect to get the season out of this one and maybe one more, but I want to be ready to pull the trigger.

Can anybody recommend a good, reliable, durable natural gas pool heater in the 100,000-125,000 BTUH range? Can you recommend any to avoid? I had to replace the igniter on our eight year old heater for the third time and the insides are starting to look old and rusty. For what it's worth, it's a Jandy Lite2 LJ, which three different parts guys have described as "the worst heater ever made." I expect to get the season out of this one and maybe one more, but I want to be ready to pull the trigger.

I don't have a specific recommendation but you might want to look here. TFP is the THP for pool owners.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/forum.php

Back