2019 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

All this talk of 16/8 makes me wonder if I could just do 8/16 instead. I could totally handle that.

You joke, but that used to be a stretch for me. I used to eat an entire row of Oreos before bed around 2300, then eat a loaded 4 egg omelet when I woke up around 0600.

campilobaxter;n8636668 said:
Just started IF myself this week. 16/8, only eat between 12 noon and 8 pm. Going pretty good so far. No hunger issues yesterday, but I was a little hungry this nothing around 10.

I'm also cutting sugar, which cuts out a lot of my snacking because I'm a candy lover. That's usually difficult for me, but after a week it two it gets easy.

The one thing with IF that has surprised me is the energy that I have in the gym. I go to the gym around 430-445am 5-6 days per week. I used to at least have a protein shake before the gym or I would bonk about halfway through my workout. Since starting IF I have tons of energy for my workout which makes no sense to me but I'm not complaining.

IF is not a magic pill but it does give you a way to cut back calories especially if you like to snack at all hours of the day. That would kill me before even on Keto as I would go grab a handful of pepperoni or pecans at all hours and those calories add up quickly.

So last week I decided to start the Keto Diet. I figure any plan where I can eat steak, veggies and butter is bound to be easy to manage.

Sticking with the program last week I dropped 8 pound in the first week. I know most of it is water weight but I like the simplicity of the program. I am not overeating even when I am having sirloin and green beans for lunch.

This week I am adding in 16:8 Intermittent fasting. Next week I will start easing into exercise.

We started a keto type weight loss deal July 8th. I've lost 19 pounds, 200 down to 181, and its been great as Im able to eat.

Quit doing Diet Dr Peppers and drinking a gallon of Crystal Light every day. Cant drink that much water, so this is a good compromise.

Venison bacon, eggs and cheese every morning. Meat and veggies with butter all the other meals.

So far, I love it.

Week two in the books. I started 16:8 fasting last week. Most days I was OK but a few there I was ready to give up my diet for a treat.

Happy to say I am down 13 pounds in two weeks so far.

Week two in the books. I started 16:8 fasting last week. Most days I was OK but a few there I was ready to give up my diet for a treat.

Happy to say I am down 13 pounds in two weeks so far.

If you are craving treats, there are Keto friendly treats you can make or buy. Enlightened ice cream is very good, fat bombs really helped the wife until she discovered Enlightened Ice cream and she makes Keto friendly muffins with almond flour.

I have been reading about Phil Mickelsons 6 day fast. Only drinking a special coffee. I love coffee but not sure I could pull that off even if it did help him drop 15 lbs. It always seems Lefty starts the season trim but slowly losens his belt as the tours wears on. Getting older sucks. Even for Phil.

You know you are out of shape when you finally get your fat ass on the treadmill for 2 days straight and EVERYTHING hurts! My ribs hurt, how is that even possible? I have a looooong road ahead of me, but for now if I can just keep telling myself it's just 30 minutes, I think I can at least get started. The goal is to eventually work back to a normal running and weights routine, but I need baby steps to get the motivation back. 2 days down and counting....

I think I have tried almost every diet known to mankind and they all did the same thing. I lost weight but then as soon as I "modified" my diet, the weight just came back. 6 months ago I decided to try and lose just a few pounds and hopefully that would help control my blood sugars since I am a Type 2 Diabetic. I didn't want to try another fad diet, so I just made a point to leave some food on the plate at each meal and do the "Push Aways". It was a bit difficult at first as I was taught as a kid to "clean your plate" at the dinner table. But, I managed to re-educate myself. I haven't done any extra exercises, just a little stretching and cut down on the in between meal snacks. In the 6 months, I have dropped just under 40 pounds and at 62 yrs old next month, I now weigh what I did at 22 when I was fighting in full contact karate rings. 210 pounds look pretty good on me and so do the pants that are 4 inches smaller in the waist. My blood sugars have never been better and my energy level is great. My ultimate goal is to get to that 200 pound mark or just under. I'm 6'-1" tall and my doc says that weight would be my sweet spot for my age.

I think I have tried almost every diet known to mankind and they all did the same thing. I lost weight but then as soon as I "modified" my diet, the weight just came back. 6 months ago I decided to try and lose just a few pounds and hopefully that would help control my blood sugars since I am a Type 2 Diabetic. I didn't want to try another fad diet, so I just made a point to leave some food on the plate at each meal and do the "Push Aways". It was a bit difficult at first as I was taught as a kid to "clean your plate" at the dinner table. But, I managed to re-educate myself. I haven't done any extra exercises, just a little stretching and cut down on the in between meal snacks. In the 6 months, I have dropped just under 40 pounds and at 62 yrs old next month, I now weigh what I did at 22 when I was fighting in full contact karate rings. 210 pounds look pretty good on me and so do the pants that are 4 inches smaller in the waist. My blood sugars have never been better and my energy level is great. My ultimate goal is to get to that 200 pound mark or just under. I'm 6'-1" tall and my doc says that weight would be my sweet spot for my age.

Congrats, that's a great accomplishment! Goes to show how much we overeat and we don't even realize it most of the time.

I started work out a month ago and feel so much better, but I have a long way to go

Three days down. Again, nothing special just 30 minutes on the treadmill, but it's a start.

I'm about a month in to my "taking fitness/diet/nutrition seriously again. down 5+ pounds and feel a lot better. My goal is continue this through May.

Running 5 days a week, speedwork and distance training adding in fitness classes including yoga and aquatics - also doing body weight training and I will ramp up to weight training starting in November.

OITW3.0 is here :LOL::p:D

I'm about a month in to my "taking fitness/diet/nutrition seriously again. down 5+ pounds and feel a lot better. My goal is continue this through May.

Running 5 days a week, speedwork and distance training adding in fitness classes including yoga and aquatics - also doing body weight training and I will ramp up to weight training starting in November.

OITW3.0 is here :LOL::p:D

That’s fantastic! Sticking with it for a month already is amazing, I will use that for motivation. That and wanting to enjoy thanksgiving without needing to buy new pants.

That’s fantastic! Sticking with it for a month already is amazing, I will use that for motivation. That and wanting to enjoy thanksgiving without needing to buy new pants.

thanks!

my thanksgiving pants have a ton of stretch:p:LOL: and they’re not sweatpants

That is awesome! As soon as I recover from this last bout with flu I'm doing something similar. Congrats on the weight loss!

I have a crap ton of traveling coming up in the next 4-5 weeks and man is it hard to eat well on the road.

That`s awesome, keep going. I too am on a mission to be healthier. Best of luck and don`t look back(y)

I am trying to be healthier, but have been struggling a bit of late with my weight due to too many weekends of company and good food

To counteract this, I have been trying to do 30 incline push-ups and 30 squats every day I am at work for the last couple of months, and last month I managed 360, and this month I am up to just over 300 up to today
Going to try and keep this going, and see about doing something to lose the excess fat I have built up as I want to look semi-decent when we go to St Lucia next year

I started a medical weight loss program July 8th. Basically staying away from carbs and sugars. I eat venison bacon, eggs and cheese every morning. No more pop, I was drinking diet Dr Pepper all the time. Doing a gallon of Crystal Light raspberry each day. Wife is a great cook, and has found many keto recipes that are delicious. My favorite is chicken breasts with cream cheese and green chilies, easy and great!

I'm down 21 pounds, started at 200 and down to 179...I'm 5'9", so getting where I should be. Was looking to get under 190, but now going for 170-175. I don't feel hungry, so feel I can keep going.

It is tough when I travel every 3rd week for work, but only add about 2 pounds and am able to get that off right away when I return home.

Keep it up, everyone. Healthier is better :cool:

I did it! 5 straight days of running. Not sure if next week I add more time to the treadmill, just try to push for going further in the same 30 minutes, or adding a little weights. I really do like the 30 minutes, it doesn't make me feel guilty for taking time away from work because I am normally done by 8:30am.

I have been doing intermittent fasting since January lost about 65lbs so far. I do the 16:8 Monday,Wednesday and Friday. The rest of the time i only eat twice a day, breakfast and dinner. I only take in 1600 to 2000 calories based on activities.

Two more days this week done! My goal this week is to run further than I did last week, but still keeping within that 30 minute time frame. The only issue is I have a small little something going on with my left hamstring, but I am going to foam roll today to see if I can work that out.

I still am not enjoying this, but I just keep telling myself 30 minutes, just 30 minutes.

Two more days this week done! My goal this week is to run further than I did last week, but still keeping within that 30 minute time frame. The only issue is I have a small little something going on with my left hamstring, but I am going to foam roll today to see if I can work that out.

I still am not enjoying this, but I just keep telling myself 30 minutes, just 30 minutes.

Take care of that hammy, can lead to other issues.

one thing that I’ve been doing is mixing in intervals with distance running to help increase stamina

also found this great HIIT treadmill workout

40-Minute HIIT Running Workout
Directions: After warming up with a brisk five-minute walk, complete the below workout, followed by a five-minute walk to cool down.

TimePaceExample Pace
0:00-10:00Conversation pace5 mph (12 min/mile)
10:01-12:00Two minutes faster than conversation pace6 mph (10 min/mile)
12:01-15:00Recovery at conversation pace5 mph (12 min/mile)
15:01-16:00Sprint7 mph (8:34 min/mile pace)
16:01-17:30Recovery at conversation pace5 mph (12 min/mile)
17:31-19:30Two minutes faster than conversation pace6 mph (10 min/mile)
19:31-22:30Recovery at conversation pace5 mph (12 min/mile)
22:31-23:30Sprint7 mph (8:34 min/mile pace)
23:31-25:00Recovery at conversation pace5 mph (12 min/mile)
25:01 -27:00Two minutes faster than conversation pace6 mph (10 min/mile)
27:01-30:00Recovery at conversation pace5 mph (12 min/mile)
30:01-31:00Sprint7 mph (8:34 min/mile pace)
31:01-41:00Recovery at conversation pace

Take care of that hammy, can lead to other issues.

one thing that I’ve been doing is mixing in intervals with distance running to help increase stamina

also found this great HIIT treadmill workout

Yeah, it's fine, I only notice it when I am sprinting. I will foam roll it, and maybe even put one of those stamina patches on.

I have mostly been doing a HIIT workout/run. I am basically doing a warm up, light jog, 8 15-40second sprints, followed by a light jog and then cool down. It's nothing fancy, but it's a start.

Back