The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same.

You get that grade, you went above and beyond, you didn’t just show up and get a trophy. Particularly since most HS’s now have added AP and/or concurrent requirements to qualify for Valedictorian.

We require 4 AP classes, where they must score A’s. Any B in our school DQ’s you from being Valedictorian, even if it was your freshman year. We had 5 out of 114 last night achieve that.
That's pretty impressive. What subjects do you teach?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's pretty impressive. What subjects do you teach?

AP Human Geography, AP Gov, and Honors OK Hist/Civics

AP Human Geography, AP Gov, and Honors OK Hist/Civics
Nice. History was my favorite subject. My favorite teacher was a history/gov teacher. I applaud anyone who has the patience to try to help shape the minds of America's youth. Especially in this day and age.

There is no conversation with you dude, and that’s cool, you decide something, dig your feet in, and don’t budge. Perfectly cool by me, but I’m not going to sit and bash my head against the wall trying to explain to you why the VAST majority of schools have multiple valedictorians.

It is what it is. All gravy.
Now, THAT is conversation! We don't all have to agree, but it's annoying when people won't debate their beliefs. How pitiful would the world be if everyone just filded when their beliefs were challenged? Oh, you think I'm wrong? Ok, I'll adopt your views.

The point is, just because many schools do it doesn't mean it's right or correct.

If dozens of schools got together and started teaching that 1+1=3, that wouldn't make it right.

Arbitrarily changing the definition of a word to make people feel better about themselves is ridiculous. Make up a new word, new category, or a designated safe space, but there's no need to redefine words that have been used for years to suit an agenda.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Honestly, who cares? Plenty of kids have the intelligence to score a 4.0... those that have the work ethic and the discipline to keep it deserve all the accolades that they get. It wouldn't bother me if there were 1 or 100 valedictorians.
I agree. Plenty of kids have the intelligence to achieve a 4.0, but it's highly unlikely for more than one student to have the "highest academic achievements of the class". There can't be two highest. If two students tie their GPA, the tie breakers should be found to break the tie.

Feels that jman doesn’t provide conversation here??? You may be alone in that sentiment...
Post #1895... not fruitful conversation.

Post #1897... very fruitful conversation.

I love this place.

I agree. Plenty of kids have the intelligence to achieve a 4.0, but it's highly unlikely for more than one student to have the "highest academic achievements of the class". There can't be two highest. If two students tie their GPA, the tie breakers should be found to break the tie.

So, just for the sake of argument, what would appease the crowd that is angry that "everyone gets a trophy". Ties for Valedictorian, or creating new acknowledgments/ awards for those kids (more trophies). Because if I'm honest I don't care how the thousands of schools across the country choose to acknowledge their exemplary students.

So, just for the sake of argument, what would appease the crowd that is angry that "everyone gets a trophy". Ties for Valedictorian, or creating new acknowledgments/ awards for those kids (more trophies). Because if I'm honest I don't care how the thousands of schools across the country choose to acknowledge their exemplary students.
Did you read any of my previous posts?

So freaking pumped. The Head of Engineering in Mexico for one of the worlds largest companies reached out to me today. We did A few projects together nearly a decade ago. It just further confirms going out on my own was the right decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you read any of my previous posts?

I did, it sounds like you are hung up on using the word "valedictorian". And i questioned what you would like to do about it. Is this a highlander situation, or do you just want to petition to change the word?

Nope not worth it... not worth it at all.

I did, it sounds like you are hung up on using the word "valedictorian". And i questioned what you would like to do about it. Is this a highlander situation, or do you just want to petition to change the word?
Yes! Highlander! Love the reference, but I think Hunger Games would fit the timeframe better.

Let's think about it this way. If they listed the students and sorted by GPA, the put their place besides them, how stupid would it look if there were fifty-nine #1's?

For the record, in case you haven't noticed from some of my historical posts, I'm a traditionalist in most situations.

No need to redefine words at all. We just need to use the correct word for the situation. In this instance, valedictorian is, most definitely, NOT the right word.

The Official Banter Away Thread

I’ll add one final note on the multiple valedictorian convo.

There are additional scholarship opportunities for those named valedictorians, regardless of number. So, should we take away that which could legitimately be life changing for those kids with stellar academic achievement through their school career for the sake of saving a words definition? Seems harsh to me.

There are additional scholarship opportunities for those named valedictorians, regardless of number. So, should we take away that which could legitimately be life changing for those kids with stellar academic achievement through their school career for the sake of saving a words definition? Seems harsh to me.

A-****ing-men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the record, in case you haven't noticed from some of my historical posts, I'm a traditionalist in most situations.

No need to redefine words at all. We just need to use the correct word for the situation. In this instance, valedictorian is, most definitely, NOT the right word.

So in the stroke lab thread you advocate about not sticking strictly to the stroke lab literature regarding weight and distribution but when it comes to the “valedictorian”, it’s the defined way or don’t use it?

For whatever purpose, I feel compelled to say that Jman is an asset to this community both in and off the forum, having spoken to him in both contexts. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who decides to teach young men and women deserve recognition, because it’s not easy. I see people complain to my wife, a dance and physical therapy teacher, constantly about things, never realizing that she has a PHD in the discipline.

Also, for what it’s worth, I graduated from an ultra competitive high school, and we all knew that the real goal was a career, and not valedictorian. I don’t care if my kid’s school as 100 of them. I care that my kid gets into the college she wants and is on a great career path. Not a single persons has ever cared where I went to law school or what percentage I graduated in. Ever.

Had a weird thought today and don’t really know why but it’s been bugging me and I feel I need to know so that I can continue on with life. Anyways, I’m wondering where BigDill went to law school AND, call me crazy, I really want to know what percent he graduated in.

Weird, I know but just hit me today.

I agree 100%. Just call them ALL valedictorians then. No need to "hold anyone back".

For whatever purpose, I feel compelled to say that Jman is an asset to this community both in and off the forum, having spoken to him in both contexts. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who decides to teach young men and women deserve recognition, because it’s not easy. I see people complain to my wife, a dance and physical therapy teacher, constantly about things, never realizing that she has a PHD in the discipline.

Also, for what it’s worth, I graduated from an ultra competitive high school, and we all knew that the real goal was a career, and not valedictorian. I don’t care if my kid’s school as 100 of them. I care that my kid gets into the college she wants and is on a great career path. Not a single persons has ever cared where I went to law school or what percentage I graduated in. Ever.

I can agree with that, too. I can tell James is an asset here and I'd love to meet him in person, smack the golf ball around the grass, and shoot the shyt a little.

I agree about teaching, too. I had to teach many, many kids in my career and it's not easy.

Last edited:
So in the stroke lab thread you advocate about not sticking strictly to the stroke lab literature regarding weight and distribution but when it comes to the “valedictorian”, it’s the defined way or don’t use it?
Never did I ever advocate for going against anything. In reality, I asked many, many times for exact number to define the theory and I've never seen any exact numbers produced outside 365g for the headweight, 75g for the grip, and 30g for the buttweight. I've read the shaft is 75g, but I've never seen it defined whether that is raw, cut to 35", 34", 33", or some other measurement. I also asked if the primary focus of the theory was total weight or distribution (i.e. head to shaft to butt ratios) and if that was ever answered I never saw it.

Huge difference between a word being misused and a vague formula being tweaked.

What is up tonight THP!?!

Playing golf tomorrow! Finally a break from all this b.s. rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back