The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just landed in Seattle and man it’s gorgeous out

Great find! Thanks.

The space program, and Apollo particularly, is absolutely fascinating. I'll watch, read or listen to anything about it. If you haven't seen it, the Apollo 11 documentary on Amazon Prime is excellent. It's all original source, archival material. Some of it has never been shown until now. "The Last Steps" about Apollo 17 is also very good.

Great find, tomcat! I hope to spend some quality time on that site.

I had it bad for the space program. If you weren't alive then, I don't think you could comprehend what a big freakin' deal Apollo 11 was. Biggest event of my life. Bigger than JFK, bigger than 9/11. I was five years old when Alan Shepard rode Freedom 7. My dad was an inspector in a steel mill, and as we sat watching a Mercury countdown, he said to me, "You see that gantry holding up that rocket? I inspected some of the steel in that." I faked the occasional stomachache so I could stay home to watch a few Gemini launches. I cried when Grissom, Chaffee, and White died on the pad in Apollo 1. And Apollo 11? I watched as much of it in real time as I could. Everybody I knew stayed up to watch the moon walk, and most of us had black and white Zenith sets. If your screen was bigger than 21", you were lucky. I consider among the highlights of my career that three of my employers made stuff that helped put astronauts in space, including the rubber in Neil Armstrong's boots and the secret sauce in the in-orbit repair capabilities that allowed the shuttles to fly again after Columbia.

Just booked final hotel for my August CA trip coming up. 12 companies or so in 5 days is going to be fun.

Great find, tomcat! I hope to spend some quality time on that site.

I had it bad for the space program. If you weren't alive then, I don't think you could comprehend what a big freakin' deal Apollo 11 was. Biggest event of my life. Bigger than JFK, bigger than 9/11. I was five years old when Alan Shepard rode Freedom 7. My dad was an inspector in a steel mill, and as we sat watching a Mercury countdown, he said to me, "You see that gantry holding up that rocket? I inspected some of the steel in that." I faked the occasional stomachache so I could stay home to watch a few Gemini launches. I cried when Grissom, Chaffee, and White died on the pad in Apollo 1. And Apollo 11? I watched as much of it in real time as I could. Everybody I knew stayed up to watch the moon walk, and most of us had black and white Zenith sets. If your screen was bigger than 21", you were lucky. I consider among the highlights of my career that three of my employers made stuff that helped put astronauts in space, including the rubber in Neil Armstrong's boots and the secret sauce in the in-orbit repair capabilities that allowed the shuttles to fly again after Columbia.

An old boss of mine is the son of Edgar Mitchell, and he and his sister have been posting a lot of stuff about their dad. There's been a lot of pics with he and Shepard.

Damn! JB never checks our Amazon account and I bought him an Apple Watch for his birthday, so of course he checked it just now and saw that I got him one. :alien:

Damn! JB never checks our Amazon account and I bought him an Apple Watch for his birthday, so of course he checked it just now and saw that I got him one. :alien:

That's what you get for retiring Mike Hunt. Karma

I've 'accidentally' looked at Amazon purchases in the past especially around B-day and holidays..... if I don't like it I say something like "I was looking at Amazon for golf _____ and noticed X.... I hope you didn't buy that for me.... If I do like it... I say nothing :angel:

1. Are you SURE we're not related????:act-up:

2. Next time, be sure to archive the order as soon as you enter it and casually prying eyes will not see it.

The Official Banter Away Thread

My brother , sister and I suspected our step mom blocks us on Facebook. I have proof now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My brother , sister and I suspected our step mom blocks us on Facebook. I have proof now.

Do you know how many people wish their parents weren't even on social media?

In a finance meeting talking min wage. Here is the whole ramification of the $15//hr movement. We will have to increase everyone’s pay now and how is that paid for - increased prices. So, we will be right back to where we are.

Waiting on Kevin James tickets to go on sale.

In a finance meeting talking min wage. Here is the whole ramification of the $15//hr movement. We will have to increase everyone’s pay now and how is that paid for - increased prices. So, we will be right back to where we are.

I do think it’s very funny how people have no clue on what the real ramifications are when you raise the minimum wage dramatically in a short period of time. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think it’s very funny how people have no clue on what the real ramifications are when you raise the minimum wage dramatically in a short period of time. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People want these evil and greedy corporations to pay their employees a living wage, and think these evil and greedy corporations are just going to eat the increased cost without firing people, cutting hours and raising prices. Morons.

People want these evil and greedy corporations to pay their employees a living wage, and think these evil and greedy corporations are just going to eat the increased cost without firing people, cutting hours and raising prices. Morons.

CBO showed that the very people they are trying to help with $15 an hour wages will hurt them because those will be the people that either will lose jobs because of the increase or be affected by the price increase on goods they buy.

Sounds crazy, but how about you tackle entitlement reform. Give people three years to get off welfare and the whole time provided education services so they can learn a trade or real world skills so that when the welfare is up, they can get a good paying job and not reliant on minimum wage paying jobs.

Sounds crazy, but how about you tackle entitlement reform. Give people three years to get off welfare and the whole time provided education services so they can learn a trade or real world skills so that when the welfare is up, they can get a good paying job and not reliant on minimum wage paying jobs.

Its very simple why that never gets addressed.
And this is not party specific, because neither have addressed it. Most believe it is not electable. Therefore it is impossible to get done, so nobody cares about the actual citizens and their growth at an alarming rate, but rather getting re-elected.

Here when they increase minimum wage, only those earners get an increase. Those that make even slightly more than minimum wage do not get a bump.

Most companies have already raised their minimum wage with almost no clue to the consumer, half the states have higher minimum wage laws already. I don't think it's as big of a thing as it was in the past, but its just politicians trying to say look we did something and when it isn't passed they can blame other people. Its not genuine trying to help people its identity politics. As a reference Bank of America is going to 20 an hour, Wells Fargo is 15 an hour, WalMart is 11 an hour, Target is 14 an hour, Washington state is 12 going to 13.50 an hour while Seattle is 15, and so on. I think minimum wage is too low, but doubling it probably isn't the best idea, should have been on a sliding scale nationally and within the states. Should have grown with inflation nationally and each state should slide based on cost of living and growth. It didn't and here we are, but as I said before its all for show and nothing will happen currently other than get people "outraged".

And as far as people upstream getting bumps due to minimum wage increases in companies, I know personally where I work did when they raised it everyone received a 3% bump, and the hospital system my wife works for when the raised theirs to 13 an hour I believe it gave everyone a 7% bump.

Its very simple why that never gets addressed.
And this is not party specific, because neither have addressed it. Most believe it is not electable. Therefore it is impossible to get done, so nobody cares about the actual citizens and their growth at an alarming rate, but rather getting re-elected.

Nobody wants to be the one blamed for cutting entitlements for that reason. Political suicide across that demographic. Maybe if term limits get implemented, things like this will matter much less.

Most companies have already raised their minimum wage with almost no clue to the consumer, half the states have higher minimum wage laws already. I don't think it's as big of a thing as it was in the past, but its just politicians trying to say look we did something and when it isn't passed they can blame other people. Its not genuine trying to help people its identity politics. As a reference Bank of America is going to 20 an hour, Wells Fargo is 15 an hour, WalMart is 11 an hour, Target is 14 an hour, Washington state is 12 going to 13.50 an hour while Seattle is 15, and so on. I think minimum wage is too low, but doubling it probably isn't the best idea, should have been on a sliding scale nationally and within the states. Should have grown with inflation nationally and each state should slide based on cost of living and growth. It didn't and here we are, but as I said before its all for show and nothing will happen currently other than get people "outraged".

And as far as people upstream getting bumps due to minimum wage increases in companies, I know personally where I work did when they raised it everyone received a 3% bump, and the hospital system my wife works for when the raised theirs to 13 an hour I believe it gave everyone a 7% bump.

Did they eat those increases in payroll costs and payroll taxes?

After playing horrible golf yesterday I flipped a switch today and finally beat my brother straight up for the first time in probably 10 years this morning! Plus I got to spend the whole time sharing a cart with my dad who rarely plays anymore. That was a great way to start the day.

Did they eat those increases in payroll costs and payroll taxes?

I think tax breaks and/or compensation for higher ups is a smaller gap to regular employees. WalMart's prices and Target's prices haven't exactly skyrocketed. You can still get 3 dollar shirts and 88 cent socks. Aldi grocery stores pay like 11 an hour to cashiers and you can still get 1.25 strawberries. I think companies as a whole fortune 500 and so could lower compensation for CEOs and board members and spread the income to employees and "eat" a raise in the minimum wage, but for some reason it isn't really fathomable to our society that happens, it's more they still make 25-30 million a year and for lower wages to make more we have to raise prices. I think that is a whole separate issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back