https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...ists-reveal-things-surprised-visiting-US.html

I visit USA regularly, and as a golfer, there are few better places t spend some time. People talk about Americans not wanting to travel , but there are plenty of things to do/visit/enjoy in USA, so why put yourself in a metal tube, defy gravity and suffer to go some where else?

I thought this article might amuse you, and read to the end as the last comment is very true.

The only thing that confuses me is the food portions and guns. Both kill.

We've been traveling and living outside of the U.S. for 2 years now. I did see a similar article from a European traveler, discussing what we do right in the U.S., as well as what we do wrong. I have to agree with a lot of points (food portions, tax added to posted price, 20% tipping at restaurants...). We choose to spend most of our time in Mexico now, but the one thing I can say about home (in the U.S.) is this: if we want something, anything, it's readily available here! Oh, and as with most Texans, we LOVE our guns!!

As someone who travels a lot but to the Caribbean and South America I am amazed when I do travel inside the U.S. how rude and miserable everyone is, in South America the poorest or richest person will say good morning, good afternoon, etc. and at least try to friendly. Here if someone looking down at their phone runs you down they look at you like its your fault.

The Caribbean is a mix of good and bad, but sadly the people I see being rude and loud / demanding are again Americans and usually "large" Americans,

I love this Country and all we stand for, but we are spoiled and and unfortunately act like it.

I've seen the "ugly American" far too many times in our travels...

We've been traveling and living outside of the U.S. for 2 years now. I did see a similar article from a European traveler, discussing what we do right in the U.S., as well as what we do wrong. I have to agree with a lot of points (food portions, tax added to posted price, 20% tipping at restaurants...). We choose to spend most of our time in Mexico now, but the one thing I can say about home (in the U.S.) is this: if we want something, anything, it's readily available here! Oh, and as with most Texans, we LOVE our guns!!
20% tipping? I don't see a problem with that as long as they deserve it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

20% tipping? I don't see a problem with that as long as they deserve it.

I tip at least 20% all day long in the U.S. (I used to tend bar and wait tables, so I've always tipped well). In Europe and Latin America, I'll do 15%; but that is still far more than the locals do (and for some reason, some of the servers actually get offended by the higher tip).

My problem in the U.S. is how we went from the standard 15% tipping to 20% AND had prices for everything skyrocket at the same time. For example, my wife and I went to the Yardhouse in Scottsdale our first night back. We had (2) small salads and (2) happy hour wines - our bill was $50 and I tipped $10. In Mexico, we could go to a VERY nice restaurant and spend quite a bit less for quite a bit more...

Iced tea in the U.S. used to be cheap; now it's around $3.50. And alcohol in the U.S. just blows the tab through the roof. In Spain, you can get a bottle of really good Rioja for what a single glass in the U.S. costs. Anyway, the 20% on top of an outrageously high bill just feels like salt in the wound.

I tip at least 20% all day long in the U.S. (I used to tend bar and wait tables, so I've always tipped well). In Europe and Latin America, I'll do 15%; but that is still far more than the locals do (and for some reason, some of the servers actually get offended by the higher tip).

My problem in the U.S. is how we went from the standard 15% tipping to 20% AND had prices for everything skyrocket at the same time. For example, my wife and I went to the Yardhouse in Scottsdale our first night back. We had (2) small salads and (2) happy hour wines - our bill was $50 and I tipped $10. In Mexico, we could go to a VERY nice restaurant and spend quite a bit less for quite a bit more...

Iced tea in the U.S. used to be cheap; now it's around $3.50. And alcohol in the U.S. just blows the tab through the roof. In Spain, you can get a bottle of really good Rioja for what a single glass in the U.S. costs. Anyway, the 20% on top of an outrageously high bill just feels like salt in the wound.
So, you'd tip 20% for poor service? Sounds counterproductive.

You're right about drinks killing the bill. That's a huge reason that I drink water and nothing but water when I'm eating out. If I want some flavor, I'll ask for a lemon wedge.

They usually have to be rude, or really demonstrate that I'm not a priority for me to tip less. That has really only happened a few times in a LONG history of eating out!

One thing that I really didn't like was the lack of air conditioning when we were in London for a week of record setting heat in July of 2016. I know they don't normally need it because their average high only gets above 69*F for about 65 days each year but damn it was hot everywhere, with temps running in the low to mid 90's(33-35 celcius). We tried to escape the heat at some nice restaurants but everywhere we went they didn't have A/C or it was broken. The air B&B flat we rented in Soho was 3 levels with no A/C and of course we were on the top floor. We were damn glad to drive to a much cooler Dover on the 7th day and get on the cruise ship. Funny that my first week ever in London was hotter than any of the dozen June Hawaii or Florida vacations I've had.

Many years ago I did some field service work in Cambridge (Marshall's of Cambridge) and found the women in the UK generally like Americans. Maybe it is the foreign allure or something. Granted, that was many years ago. Who knows what happens now. Hated the very bland food (sorry, but it is not good) and rainy weather. All my sports injuries rared their ugly head due to the cold and dampness. And everybody smelled like dry cleaning fluid due to every male wearing a suite (remember this was many years ago). Absolutely loved the castles and the history of London area.

So, you'd tip 20% for poor service? Sounds counterproductive.

You're right about drinks killing the bill. That's a huge reason that I drink water and nothing but water when I'm eating out. If I want some flavor, I'll ask for a lemon wedge.

#pregame #drinkathome #buyaflask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many years ago I did some field service work in Cambridge (Marshall's of Cambridge) and found the women in the UK generally like Americans.

Long history of American Air Force bases in the fenlands , going back to WW2, hence the chance of the ladies being part American. Also, if they shot 'Deliverance UK', they would cast the banjo players from that part of UK.

Some people like food without cheese on it, why call it bland?

Love the sense of humor and now that I think about we Americans do use cheese a lot, I am put off by the recent trend to put a nasty fried egg on eveverything..

Long history of American Air Force bases in the fenlands , going back to WW2, hence the chance of the ladies being part American. Also, if they shot 'Deliverance UK', they would cast the banjo players from that part of UK.

Some people like food without cheese on it, why call it bland?

As someone who travels a lot but to the Caribbean and South America I am amazed when I do travel inside the U.S. how rude and miserable everyone is, in South America the poorest or richest person will say good morning, good afternoon, etc. and at least try to friendly. Here if someone looking down at their phone runs you down they look at you like its your fault.

The Caribbean is a mix of good and bad, but sadly the people I see being rude and loud / demanding are again Americans and usually "large" Americans,

I love this Country and all we stand for, but we are spoiled and and unfortunately act like it.

Why do I feel like you are talking about me my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing that I really didn't like was the lack of air conditioning when we were in London for a week of record setting heat in July of 2016. I know they don't normally need it because their average high only gets above 69*F for about 65 days each year but damn it was hot everywhere, with temps running in the low to mid 90's(33-35 celcius). We tried to escape the heat at some nice restaurants but everywhere we went they didn't have A/C or it was broken. The air B&B flat we rented in Soho was 3 levels with no A/C and of course we were on the top floor. We were damn glad to drive to a much cooler Dover on the 7th day and get on the cruise ship. Funny that my first week ever in London was hotter than any of the dozen June Hawaii or Florida vacations I've had.

Like you say it's the lack of need for the majority of the year. Most houses have central heating over any AC as it's a lot more practical and rare it's hot enough that simply cracking a window won't be enough.

tahoebum - you were just unlucky. Air con and snow ploughs are needed once every five years .; I'm sure your snow shovel in Naples gets the same amount of use. I hope you did not use the Tube, as the Underground is Dante's inferno when temperatures go above 80.

Back