Leftyuk

Reaction score
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Handicap
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...ists-reveal-things-surprised-visiting-US.html

I visit USA regularly, and as a golfer, there are few better places t spend some time. People talk about Americans not wanting to travel , but there are plenty of things to do/visit/enjoy in USA, so why put yourself in a metal tube, defy gravity and suffer to go some where else?

I thought this article might amuse you, and read to the end as the last comment is very true.

The only thing that confuses me is the food portions and guns. Both kill.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...ists-reveal-things-surprised-visiting-US.html

I visit USA regularly, and as a golfer, there are few better places t spend some time. People talk about Americans not wanting to travel , but there are plenty of things to do/visit/enjoy in USA, so why put yourself in a metal tube, defy gravity and suffer to go some where else?

I thought this article might amuse you, and read to the end as the last comment is very true.

The only thing that confuses me is the food portions and guns. Both kill.

I have never fully understood the myth(?) of Americans not wanting to travel. I am on a plane at every chance I get, but so many people I know have never left the country. The only thing that comes to mind is the sheer size of the US. From corner to corner there is so much cultural diversity (albeit uniquely American) that it would take one a lifetime the truly experience it all.

I have no idea how to explain the folks who never leave their home towns. To each their own, I suppose.

As someone who travels a lot but to the Caribbean and South America I am amazed when I do travel inside the U.S. how rude and miserable everyone is, in South America the poorest or richest person will say good morning, good afternoon, etc. and at least try to friendly. Here if someone looking down at their phone runs you down they look at you like its your fault.

The Caribbean is a mix of good and bad, but sadly the people I see being rude and loud / demanding are again Americans and usually "large" Americans,

I love this Country and all we stand for, but we are spoiled and and unfortunately act like it.

My guns don't kill anyone. I left one out the safe loaded for a few days to test the theory and it has yet to go out and start shooting people. Maybe it is just defective or something.

My guns don't kill anyone. I left one out the safe loaded for a few days to test the theory and it has yet to go out and start shooting people. Maybe it is just defective or something.

Same here. I’ve slept with a handgun on the nightstand right next to my head for years and, knock on wood , it’s not killed me yet.

We enjoy traveling and have been to Europe three times for 12-14 days trips in the last three years. Your point about traveling within the U.S. is well taken, there are so many amazing places/cities in our great country that many including me, have not seen. I’ve never been to Washington D.C. or spent much time in any East coast city other than visiting Boston and NYC a couple times. I love the beauty of the outdoors and a few of my favorite places are Glacier National Park, The Grand Tetons, and the North Shore of Lake Superior(especially Isle Royale National Park). The Boundary Waters Canoe Area is another unique wilderness area that should be on any outdoorsman’s bucket list.

As far as the guns and food portions go, as an American it’s easy to understand both. Obesity and health also vary a lot by state/city. Places like California, Hawaii, Minnesota, Connecticut, have much fitter people on average than places like Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. The former have average life expectancies of 81 years or more vs 75 years for the latter.

Where I grew up in Wisconsin/Minnesota guns and fishing are a way of life and deeply entrenched in the culture. Wisconsin has a 9 day gun deer hunting season where they shoot over 325,000 deer. When you try to explain that to our good friends from the UK who visit us every couple years, they can’t understand it.

As a Canadian, which I guess is some weird middle ground in this convo, I can relate to being confused by some of these things, but also live with some of them. The water levels in toilets comment made me laugh for some reason.

I spend a lot of time in the States. The thing that impressed me the most is how patriotic the people are.
Otherwise the people are no different than us Canadians.

Ive traveled to 41 of the 50 states with a goal of reaching the upper NE one day. Having been to a lot of places around the world due to my job, I appreciate the many differences the different cultures, communities, countries and cities have. The article made me chuckle because sometimes I just want a toilet to use no matter what the water level is rather than a hut with a hole.

Ive traveled to 41 of the 50 states with a goal of reaching the upper NE one day. Having been to a lot of places around the world due to my job, I appreciate the many differences the different cultures, communities, countries and cities have. The article made me chuckle because sometimes I just want a toilet to use no matter what the water level is rather than a hut with a hole.

If the water level is close to the toilet seat you should probably think about using a new toilet... since it's probably clogged!

This one made me laugh:

ExoticMoose added: 'It's very hard to reconcile the mostly lovely and outgoing Americans I met with the spiteful and paranoid Americans you seem to elect to office.'

Add me as the 3rd with guns that never killed anyone. Plenty of animals, yes, and I'm sure they'd kill a person if I needed them tonto defend myself, my friends or family, or our property, but they never have, and I'm willing to bet they never will, on their own.

God bless the U.S.A.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve lived in the US 6 years, and the gaps around toilet doors thing still baffles me. It’s not the odd door either. It seems to be 99% of public toilets have a bloody gap between the door and the frame!!
As for the travel, yep, America is so big and varied, you don’t need to travel outside. Also, the annual leave out here is laughable, which I suspect also stops many from traveling abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve lived in the US 6 years, and the gaps around toilet doors thing still baffles me. It’s not the odd door either. It seems to be 99% of public toilets have a bloody gap between the door and the frame!!
As for the travel, yep, America is so big and varied, you don’t need to travel outside. Also, the annual leave out here is laughable, which I suspect also stops many from traveling abroad.

Been a while since I was in Europe. Remind me what I saw over there.

That's mostly the same in Canada as well. Unfortunately it just becomes the norm and no one really knows any better.

Been a while since I was in Europe. Remind me what I saw over there.

How would I know what you saw over there? I wasn’t with you.

How would I know what you saw over there? I wasn’t with you.

Good answer. I guess it was crazy of me to ask you. I just figured you were familiar with the styles since I thought you lived there for a while. I guess I was wrong.

Good answer. I guess it was crazy of me to ask you. I just figured you were familiar with the styles since I thought you lived there for a while. I guess I was wrong.

When it comes to Europe, I can tell you where the best places to get laid, and buy 3 drinks for the price of one are. Other than that, my holidays were mostly spent over here.

When it comes to Europe, I can tell you where the best places to get laid, and buy 3 drinks for the price of one are. Other than that, my holidays were mostly spent over here.

In a bathroom stall? Gaps are very important in that case.

i couldn't imagine not having a firearm in my house.

For those wondering why people in the US don't travel abroad:

US-Europe-size-comparison.jpg

I know lots of people that have never left their home town. Some of which is really bad when you learn the entire town only has about 100 people in it. But, everywhere I have lived there is always something that makes you scratch your head.

I have always wanted to travel to Europe. For me the problem is I can't fit in a plane very well. When you walk up to enter and the top of the door hits you in the throat, you know there will not be much room to sit in. Man to only be average, Haha. :D

The one criticism of USA that I get is the sales tax. Over here, everyone advertises the final price, without separating the tax (VAT), so if the stores says it is £100, you pay £100.

When it says $100 is USA, who knows what the final price is until you pay...…:confused2:

The one criticism of USA that I get is the sales tax. Over here, everyone advertises the final price, without separating the tax (VAT), so if the stores says it is £100, you pay £100.

When it says $100 is USA, who knows what the final price is until you pay...…:confused2:
I'd rather pay our sales tax and have to worry about simple math than have the outrageous amounts added in before I saw the price as is done over there.

I get this, it varies from county to country sometimes! I always remind myself when shopping for clothes outside the state of MN to wait and just buy when Im back home (no sales tax on clothes).

Back