Is USPS getting better?

I tend to agree with this. The only beef I have is with certain USPS Post Offices and who they choose to represent them up front... Some of the worst customer service experiences I've had were at the Post Office.
Can't argue with that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with this. The only beef I have is with certain USPS Post Offices and who they choose to represent them up front... Some of the worst customer service experiences I've had were at the Post Office.

The problem there has always been those jobs bids are based on security. They are almost always weekends off and daytime hours. The Senior people that bid them aren’t necessarily the best for the job. One of my biggest frustrations when I was Manager was holding these people accountable for courteous and efficient service. It takes a lot of documentation but can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They were doing a lot better until I shipped a golf ball to Tomcat and it still hasn't arrived yet!

Have 2 packages coming FedEx smartpost which is finished by the USPS, we will find out!

Well supposedly they are out for delivery a day earlier than expected. If they are actually delivered today I will be impressed.

And they are sitting on my porch. I would say yes they have gotten better.

Most of my recent packages coming via USPS get delivered a day or two earlier than the initial estimated date. I'm sure they sandbag it a little on the first guess.

They also haven't run over any with a forklift and then lost its replacement, either, like FedEx has.

I am fan of informed delivery.

A little bit, but they took 3 days to deliver something with 2 day shipping to me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A little bit, but they took 3 days to deliver something with 2 day shipping to me

Most people think Priority Mail is “guaranteed” in 2 days. It’s not.

f6a0c53cff52fb8457ec486e2c8f4ca7.jpg

0c1c57833f1dd594a275d7ff15a85090.jpg

Honestly I’m just glad the package was found. The delivery date hasn’t been updated (May 15th) but if it’s here by the 21st I’m fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USPS lost $3.6 billion last year. They are a quasi-federal government operation. They are neither owned by or an acquisition target of Amazon. Amazon is rumored to be eyeing UPS or FedEx as possible acquisition targets. Currently, they are partners. Amazon also does some of its own shipping and delivery. Generally speaking, USPS plays catch up to the rest of the industry.

Is USPS getting better?

USPS lost $3.6 billion last year. They are a quasi-federal government operation. They are neither owned by or an acquisition target of Amazon. Amazon is rumored to be eyeing UPS or FedEx as possible acquisition targets. Currently, they are partners. Amazon also does some of its own shipping and delivery. Generally speaking, USPS plays catch up to the rest of the industry.

USPS is not a quasi Federal government operation and haven’t been since 1970. Congress likes to try to control them by having such ridiculous things as requiring them to pre fund retiree health benefits so they are in the hole each fiscal year before it starts. USPS also partners with UPS, and FedEx to deliver “the last mile” on some packages or in other words, to places they are required to go to 6 days anyway.
They could be a lot more efficient and have some antiquated operations in some places for sure but I wouldn’t call it playing catch up. If I ran things there would be no Saturday delivery and a lot of people would lose their unnecessary positions but I’m retired so I just read the USPS bashing threads and wait for them to bring me my package that I really don’t need today anyway. My carrier comes about 12:30 everyday like clockwork and I’ve had 2 or 3 packages that took more than 2 days to get here in the last year.
It’s frustrating to get something late when you’re looking forward to getting it but all of the companies get the job done for the most part. A lot of logistics are involved to make it happen on time daily.

I think it's different everywhere. USPS and UPS are about the same here. Both are fast and often deliver earlier than the projection. FedEx, on the other hand, is the worst here. Everything takes longer than it should. I ordered to two things a couple of weeks ago at the exact same time, both coming from the same area of California. One package, being delivered by USPS took three days. The other, being delivered by FedEX, took 13. It literally sat at a distribution center one state over for 4 days. It's gotten to where I won't order things from those who use FedEx.

I think one thing we can all agree on is they are all better than Amazon's delivery service, they are awful.

Here’s a good example, it is scheduled to be delivered within the service standards for First Class Package service but took 26 hours from acceptance to arrival scan at the plant in the same state. As a former Plant Manager for USPS I’d say that is poor service but is it in today’s environment? I want it now. :)
0071d170c17870e3c4426296743f593c.jpg

Most people think Priority Mail is “guaranteed” in 2 days. It’s not.

It was 2 day shipping, cost the dude $30

It was 2 day shipping, cost the dude $30

If it was Express it is guaranteed in either 1 or 2 days depending on destination. The shipper can get a refund if it arrives late. Priority Mail is either 1,2, or 3 day service goal depending on destination but is not guaranteed.
734dc5a955258865ec2ba90942546420.jpg

USPS is not a quasi Federal government operation and haven’t been since 1970. Congress likes to try to control them by having such ridiculous things as requiring them to pre fund retiree health benefits so they are in the hole each fiscal year before it starts. USPS also partners with UPS, and FedEx to deliver “the last mile” on some packages or in other words, to places they are required to go to 6 days anyway.
They could be a lot more efficient and have some antiquated operations in some places for sure but I wouldn’t call it playing catch up. If I ran things there would be no Saturday delivery and a lot of people would lose their unnecessary positions but I’m retired so I just read the USPS bashing threads and wait for them to bring me my package that I really don’t need today anyway. My carrier comes about 12:30 everyday like clockwork and I’ve had 2 or 3 packages that took more than 2 days to get here in the last year.
It’s frustrating to get something late when you’re looking forward to getting it but all of the companies get the job done for the most part. A lot of logistics are involved to make it happen on time daily.

FROM WIKIPEDIA: "The United States Postal Service (USPS; also known as the Post Office, U.S. Mail, or Postal Service) is an independent agency of the executive branch of the United States federal government responsible for providing postal service in the United States, including its insular areas and associated states. It is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution."

FROM WWW.USPS.COM: "A self-supporting, independent federal agency...the most frequently visited website in the federal government"

Sure sounds like a quasi-Federal government operation to me.

FROM WIKIPEDIA: "The United States Postal Service (USPS; also known as the Post Office, U.S. Mail, or Postal Service) is an independent agency of the executive branch of the United States federal government responsible for providing postal service in the United States, including its insular areas and associated states. It is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution."

FROM WWW.USPS.COM: "A self-supporting, independent federal agency...the most frequently visited website in the federal government"

Sure sounds like a quasi-Federal government operation to me.

Sounds like but not supported by tax dollars as many people think it is.

usually pretty consistent for me but....
ordered a headcover from NM, supposed to be delivered 2 days ago.
tracking:
Las Cruces -> El Paso -> Ft Worth -> Alabama :unsure: -> Pensacola :mad: (current)

Currently have a package that was set for Delivery Monday... floating around a distribution somewhere in Ohio.... USPS is awful

No.

I guess I should've known that a post like this would invite the bad stories, but no one would share the thousands of good stories out there.

I have one story on FedEx recently. I had a bag shipped to me erroneously. The shipper refunded the buyer, but didn't cancel the order on their end and sent it to me anyway (my address was erroneously entered). I called the shipper, but they weren't answering phones due to COVID. I tried to do the right thing and drop the package off at FedEx here locally to have it returned to sender. I dropped it off at a FedEx Office location and was told that it would be assigned a new tracking number when it got to the local hub and the new tracking number would show up under the original tracking number once it was assigned. Anyway, for two days there was no movement on the tracking. It simply showed "Delivered" at my address. Finally on day 3, I got a call from the buyer who said they'd received a call that it was ready for pickup. It was a number local to me so I called it and it was the FedEx hub. They had it and didn't know what to do with it. So, in 2.5 days, it went ~4 miles. I went to pick it up and it's sitting in my garage until the shipper decides to send me a return label. If they don't in 90 days, I'll likely keep it. I've done my part.

Post office is always good reading. (Am I weird? Yes.)
Almost $72 billion annual budget. Amazon is almost $19 billion by comparison. :eek:
9 Presidentially-appointed, Congress-approved board members of the 11 for the USPS Board of Governors.
So much of the annual budget is then farmed out to FedEx, UPS, and tons of other suppliers that all feast on this huge budget.
They say it isn't privatized, but come on...
G.W. Bush made sure to change the board structure back in 2006 so it only lasts 7 years instead of 9 for election cycles.

I always found USPS to be very good when I used them. Its been a while, and frankly my expectations of everything in society are sadly low.

Back