Star Wars Phenomenon

OnePuttLarry

Reaction score
Being a long time movie buff & big fan of Star Wars, I like to share this story about the Star Wars phenomenon. Back in 1976, my wife and I were at the Dome Theatres on Arden Way in Sacramento watching a movie. A trailer was shown, the original “Star Wars: Episode IV”, which was the first Star Wars film in 1977. I was really taken by it because the musical background was a classical piece by composer John Williams and it reminded me of the old Flash Gordon serials with Larry Buster Crabbe shown during the Saturday movie matinees that I never missed when I was a kid and all set to classical music as well; Les Preludes composed by Franz Liszt. I would find out years later that director George Lucas said he got the idea of the classical music for his Star Wars film from the old Flash Gordon serials! Well, as mentioned, the first Star Wars film, 1977, was set to classical music by composer John Williams and as I’m watching Luke Skywalker swinging on a rope carrying Princess Leia in his arms, I whispered to my wife, “This film is going to be a big hit!!! And I think I guessed right.? Oh, by the way, about the actor Larry Buster Crabbe that played Flash Gordon for many years, my parents informed me that I was named after Larry Buster Crabbe. He was an American two-time Olympic swimmer and movie actor & won the 1932 Olympic gold medal for 400-meter freestyle swimming event, which launched his career onto the silver screen...evidently mom & dad must’ve seen me treading water in our pool. Just had to throw that into the mix. ?

Cool story and welcome to THP Larry.

The original 3 Star Wars are the best. I'm partial to Empire Strikes Back and that's the movie that really sparked my interest in Star Wars. I only haven't seen Solo of all the movies. Oh and Jar Jar Binks sucks.

Back