Any idea how they get your name or username if you never provide those details?

They don’t but they do have your picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every photo regardless of whether you save or not. Again, it's highly unlikely you will ever see your face, name, location etc used but I would hate to try and explain myself when someone sees my face selling used panties on a website :).

Interesting. So I wonder what would happen if I just started uploading pictures of other people? I mean, if I took the picture, then I own the copyright, and thus could upload it, right?

It's like that episode of Friends when Joey did a photo shoot and they used it for a herpes prevention campaign.

Everyone that encounters any kind of mass transit in NYC is going to see your face and think you have the clap.

Just another sophisticated way to steal an election.

Interesting. So I wonder what would happen if I just started uploading pictures of other people? I mean, if I took the picture, then I own the copyright, and thus could upload it, right?

I’m not trying to start an argument. I’m just pointing out a fact in their T&Cs.

I’m not trying to start an argument. I’m just pointing out a fact in their T&Cs.

Oh I am with you, I posted that as a legitimate thought with no snark. I have asked my family not to use the app because of the reason you pointed out, but in reality, I'm not sure I could actually prevent them from having a picture uploaded to the app even if I wanted to, because I am 100% sure one of their friends will do it at their next dance competition.

That said, @Nerdy_81 had me laughing with that picture.

Every photo regardless of whether you save or not. Again, it's highly unlikely you will ever see your face, name, location etc used but I would hate to try and explain myself when someone sees my face selling used panties on a website :).
Valid concern. You do have a face for that ;)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

fd85da9208424033dcf166fd08b5d75a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was crazy to me bc I look just like my dad with this app! Mr. SoS in his prime! Lol
9a35b26cba0590112738d2a9316b4b4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I cannot possibly imagine what Russia wants with my face, but it's fine. I'm all over the internet under this moniker anyways -- Can't be hard to find.
All these people are freaking out that Russia has their info but yet they post their entire lives all over social media. Lol. I think the app is the least they have to worry about. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My poor wife...

2b46b39ce53e51e6917059e178995c3f.jpg

All these people are freaking out that Russia has their info but yet they post their entire lives all over social media. Lol. I think the app is the least they have to worry about. What do you think?

I feel the same way. I used the photo I've got all over social media with my name associated with it. Anyone who wants to download that info can easily do it.

This morning I deleted the app, but that's pretty typical for me. I hate having unused apps on my devices.

I think it's more problematic for athletes and celebrities who have a high-dollar value associated with their likeness.

My poor wife...

2b46b39ce53e51e6917059e178995c3f.jpg

You can fill in for Roy Williams with that look, pretty much his doppelganger in that pic.

I never tried it. According to a recent article in Forbes FaceApp now owns access to images of over 150 million users’ faces and names. Owned by Russian parent company Wireless Labs, the disclosure agreement says, in part:

You grant FaceApp a perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully-paid, transferable sub-licensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly perform and display your User Content and any name, username or likeness provided in connection with your User Content in all media formats and channels now known or later developed, without compensation to you. When you post or otherwise share User Content on or through our Services, you understand that your User Content and any associated information (such as your [username], location or profile photo) will be visible to the public.

I don't use my personal photo.
I am actually worried about privacy issues.
Is there any privacy risk for this app?
Functionally, this app is still very interesting.
Unfortunately there are privacy issues with just about everything. Basically, if it's free then you are the product and you have given up a lot in return.

This app is probably as much of an issue as Facebook, Alexa, Google Home, Twitter, etc... If you follow tech trends they have all had security breeches that have exposed your personal info including your pictures. Many times they have sold your data to third parties. It's how they make money and amazingly people are surprised and upset when they find that out.

We have sold our privacy and freedoms for personal convenience. 80% of the country seems to be okay with it. Sadly.

ed3c7352aa4455c573af9a352c15e7af.jpg

0f0e6d5d817c1ca5ae6c9718ed20fe23.jpg

Ok, so I was talking to people about this app and was going to try it. Obviously, I must have lived under a rock. Not to take this on a tangent line, just a question. Is this app safe? I see multiple sources are saying no.

I'd prefer not to give some Russian hackers access to my phone, but I can see many people don't mind.

I think a lot of people take themselves too seriously... I don’t use Apple Pay or have any financials linked to my phone. I’m glad some Russians know that I like golf and cat videos.

Pretty sad when I already look old...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back