Don't buy Kenmore

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
This could probably go in the rant thread, but I think it'll be easier to search up as a stand alone.

My Kenmore refrigerator died just before its 2nd birthday (not just its "new to me" birthday, it was manufactured in August 2017 and it died at the end of July).

First, I looked at the manual and saw that I only had a 1 year warranty. So, I called it in to my home warranty to send a repairman to fix it. The repairman came Thursday morning and confirmed that the compressor had, indeed, given up the ghost and would need replaced. He told me he'd write it up to the home warranty company as a total loss so they'd replace it because the compressor would likely just die again very soon. I then called the home warranty company and they told me it would take 4-5 days to make a determination on how to proceed with repair or replacement, but that's a whole other story for another thread.

Anyway, later Friday, the repairman called me back to say that the compressor was still under warranty under a "Sealed Systems" warranty and that he'd have to advise the home warranty company that it was under warranty and I'd need to go through Kenmore (Sears) for repair. That surprised me since I'd read the manual and didn't see anything about a longer warranty for any systems, but I went with it.

I called Sears Home Services (SHS) and was told that the soonest appointment was August 14th! I asked the girl how Sears expected a person to manage in OK in 90°+ temps with no refrigerator since their was completely unreliable and she just said he's put a request in to expedite, but she didn't sound too promising with that. On top of that, she told me that even though the refrigerator compressor was still under the sealed systems warranty, I’d still have to pay $89 for the repairman to come out to fix their less than stellar equipment that they’d manufactured. Since she had me by the balls, I told her to go ahead and schedule him to come out on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] and try to get it sooner.

So, Friday, I called to see if there was any progress on getting a sooner appointment. The guy that answered the phone told me he didn’t see any request to expedite, but there was an appointment slot open on Saturday between 1 and 5! I told him to sign me up and I’d be there.

Saturday rolled around and I was waiting at 1 for the repairman. Finally, about 3 he called, said he had me slotted for 3-5, but probably wouldn’t be there until a little after 5. I explained all that I’d been through so far, told him the fridge had already be diagnosed with a FUBAR compressor and had been advised it was under warranty by SHS.

So, around 5:20 he rolled in. He came in and before he started he looked up the manual online. After looking it over, he told me that the fridge only had a 1 year warranty and he could look at it and fix it, but it wouldn’t be covered. I asked him if he wanted to call SHS to ask them why they sent him out and he said he didn’t need to, it was his call. Then, after all that, he, honestly, wanted me to pay him $89. I kindly explained to him that I wasn’t going to pay him because he didn’t do anything. He said he could look at it to see what the problem was and I told him I didn’t need him to tell me what the problem was and that if he couldn’t fix it under the warranty that they shouldn’t have sent him out. He still asked for his $89. I kindly told him that he should talk to SHS for his $89 because it was their error that sent him out. He left, but I was kind of worrying that I was going to need to call a LEO to have him leave.

Anyway, Saturday, we were tossing around the idea of getting a small temp fridge from Lowe’s that was reduced due to a scratch or dent. I called and they had one that was gonna be ~$450 after tax. When I asked MrsOG, she said instead of spending money on something that was only gonna be a temp fix, why not just buy a good one.

So, I found a Whirlpool at the Sears Outlet in Wichita, KS that was <$1200 after taxes down from a original retail of $2599! I called the store and one of the employees was helpful enough to snap a video and a few pics of the damage and text them to me. I purchased it online and drove to UHaul to get a 4x7 trailer Saturday night.

So, my Sunday consisted of a round trip to Wichita, KS and installing a fridge. Finally, this morning after nearly a week without a fridge and with no real help from SHS or my home warranty, I have a fridge again.

The moral of this story? Do not buy Kenmore appliances.

Who was the manufacturer of your bum fridge? Might want to steer clear of any under their own name also.

Frigidaire Gallery is also complete garbage.

I know folks say to not buy them but with every major appliance we buy the extended protection plans as we have use it at least once on every one we have bought in past 11 years. I only know that as we bought our first home then and upgraded everything.

We have had services calls that saved hundreds and even lemoned out an LG fridge, another brand I won't touch.

I have had best luck with Samsung devices although oddly enough the panel on our clothes washer went bad this weekend. Thankfully we have the protection plan, guy coming out tomorrow to look at it and fix it.

They don't make anything like they used to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There was a Kenmore Elite grill built into our backyard patio when we bought our house. It was 10 yrs old and lasted another 10. Awesome grill.

Fast forward to last year when we re-did the backyard. Sold that grill and installed a new Kenmore Elite grill. This new one is JUNK! Lid doesn’t close right, door hinges breaking (I’ve had to replace them all), thermometer gauge is nowhere close to accurate. It’s a mess.

Kenmore is a Sears house brand right?
I learned my lesson with Craftsman tools back in the day (also a Sears house brand). They always boasted "lifetime warranty" on their hand tools but after a few episodes of trying to actually get the warranty to cover a broken tool I gave up on the brand.

Oh and surprise surprise, Sears went bankrupt in Canada and doesn't exist anymore.

Who was the manufacturer of your bum fridge? Might want to steer clear of any under their own name also.

Reported LG. I am steering clear of them, too.

Kenmore is a Sears house brand right?
I learned my lesson with Craftsman tools back in the day (also a Sears house brand). They always boasted "lifetime warranty" on their hand tools but after a few episodes of trying to actually get the warranty to cover a broken tool I gave up on the brand.

Oh and surprise surprise, Sears went bankrupt in Canada and doesn't exist anymore.

I've never had a problem getting a Craftsman tool replaced. I just walk in, hand the bad one to the guy at the register. Find a new one, walk up to the register, they ring it up free, and I walk out with my new tool.

I will seriously reconsider future purchases, though, based on this experience.

There was a Kenmore Elite grill built into our backyard patio when we bought our house. It was 10 yrs old and lasted another 10. Awesome grill.

Fast forward to last year when we re-did the backyard. Sold that grill and installed a new Kenmore Elite grill. This new one is JUNK! Lid doesn’t close right, door hinges breaking (I’ve had to replace them all), thermometer gauge is nowhere close to accurate. It’s a mess.

You explained it all right there. That first grill was ~21 years ago.

I've never had a problem getting a Craftsman tool replaced. I just walk in, hand the bad one to the guy at the register. Find a new one, walk up to the register, they ring it up free, and I walk out with my new tool.

I will seriously reconsider future purchases, though, based on this experience.
Sears doesn't own Craftsman anymore I believe.

Similar story with a refrigerator bought from Lowe’s. It was a Frigidaire that shot craps after 18 months. Had a refrigerant leak in the coil that they said they couldn’t replace. Luckily I had the extended warranty through Lowe’s and they replaced the whole thing. What a waste of materials and landfill space. The new stuff is junk.

This could probably go in the rant thread, but I think it'll be easier to search up as a stand alone.

My Kenmore refrigerator died just before its 2nd birthday (not just its "new to me" birthday, it was manufactured in August 2017 and it died at the end of July).

First, I looked at the manual and saw that I only had a 1 year warranty. So, I called it in to my home warranty to send a repairman to fix it. The repairman came Thursday morning and confirmed that the compressor had, indeed, given up the ghost and would need replaced. He told me he'd write it up to the home warranty company as a total loss so they'd replace it because the compressor would likely just die again very soon. I then called the home warranty company and they told me it would take 4-5 days to make a determination on how to proceed with repair or replacement, but that's a whole other story for another thread.

Anyway, later Friday, the repairman called me back to say that the compressor was still under warranty under a "Sealed Systems" warranty and that he'd have to advise the home warranty company that it was under warranty and I'd need to go through Kenmore (Sears) for repair. That surprised me since I'd read the manual and didn't see anything about a longer warranty for any systems, but I went with it.

I called Sears Home Services (SHS) and was told that the soonest appointment was August 14th! I asked the girl how Sears expected a person to manage in OK in 90°+ temps with no refrigerator since their was completely unreliable and she just said he's put a request in to expedite, but she didn't sound too promising with that. On top of that, she told me that even though the refrigerator compressor was still under the sealed systems warranty, I’d still have to pay $89 for the repairman to come out to fix their less than stellar equipment that they’d manufactured. Since she had me by the balls, I told her to go ahead and schedule him to come out on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] and try to get it sooner.

So, Friday, I called to see if there was any progress on getting a sooner appointment. The guy that answered the phone told me he didn’t see any request to expedite, but there was an appointment slot open on Saturday between 1 and 5! I told him to sign me up and I’d be there.

Saturday rolled around and I was waiting at 1 for the repairman. Finally, about 3 he called, said he had me slotted for 3-5, but probably wouldn’t be there until a little after 5. I explained all that I’d been through so far, told him the fridge had already be diagnosed with a FUBAR compressor and had been advised it was under warranty by SHS.

So, around 5:20 he rolled in. He came in and before he started he looked up the manual online. After looking it over, he told me that the fridge only had a 1 year warranty and he could look at it and fix it, but it wouldn’t be covered. I asked him if he wanted to call SHS to ask them why they sent him out and he said he didn’t need to, it was his call. Then, after all that, he, honestly, wanted me to pay him $89. I kindly explained to him that I wasn’t going to pay him because he didn’t do anything. He said he could look at it to see what the problem was and I told him I didn’t need him to tell me what the problem was and that if he couldn’t fix it under the warranty that they shouldn’t have sent him out. He still asked for his $89. I kindly told him that he should talk to SHS for his $89 because it was their error that sent him out. He left, but I was kind of worrying that I was going to need to call a LEO to have him leave.

Anyway, Saturday, we were tossing around the idea of getting a small temp fridge from Lowe’s that was reduced due to a scratch or dent. I called and they had one that was gonna be ~$450 after tax. When I asked MrsOG, she said instead of spending money on something that was only gonna be a temp fix, why not just buy a good one.

So, I found a Whirlpool at the Sears Outlet in Wichita, KS that was <$1200 after taxes down from a original retail of $2599! I called the store and one of the employees was helpful enough to snap a video and a few pics of the damage and text them to me. I purchased it online and drove to UHaul to get a 4x7 trailer Saturday night.

So, my Sunday consisted of a round trip to Wichita, KS and installing a fridge. Finally, this morning after nearly a week without a fridge and with no real help from SHS or my home warranty, I have a fridge again.

The moral of this story? Do not buy Kenmore appliances.
For what it's worth, Whirlpool manufactures a decent amount of the Kenmore appliances.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, Whirlpool manufactures a decent amount of the Kenmore appliances.

Repairman said the Kenmore was made by LG. I guess we're pretty much screwed no matter who we go with nowadays because we, as a society, have settled for worthless trash as products. It's ridiculous. I have a Whirlpool freezer that I've had since 1999. My grandparents built a house in 1960 and had the same stove and refrigerator until sometime in the early 90's. They got 30+ YEARS out of them and I can't get that many months out of one now.

Repairman said the Kenmore was made by LG. I guess we're pretty much screwed no matter who we go with nowadays because we, as a society, have settled for worthless trash as products. It's ridiculous. I have a Whirlpool freezer that I've had since 1999. My grandparents built a house in 1960 and had the same stove and refrigerator until sometime in the early 90's. They got 30+ YEARS out of them and I can't get that many months out of one now.
Whirlpool makes a decent number of products, Kenmore is just a relabeled product at this point. Another whirlpool product is Amana but I've had pretty good success with their products over the years for being a more economy brand

Yep. "Durable" goods aren't as durable as they used to be. FWIW the Kenmore brand can be worn by products from several makes. Your model number will be the clue as to who build a particular product. The Sears xxx.xxxxx model numbering scheme uses the first three numbers to indicate the manufacturer. E.g. power tools with a 113.xxxxx model number were made by Emerson Electric.

Kenmore is Whirlpool as is Kitchen aid, Amana, and Maytag. I have been in the appliance supply game for 20 years now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kenmore is Whirlpool as is Kitchen aid, Amana, and Maytag. I have been in the appliance supply game for 20 years now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
All this time, I thought you were a milkman.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Most side-by-side Kenmore refrigerators are made by Whirlpool, the largest appliance company in the US. Some of the high-end French door and side-by-side Kenmores are made by LG.

We've had trouble with lots of different major appliances in the last decade, including replacing our central a/c that was less than five years old.

There is risk with every purchase I guess and its possible you just got a dud but the whole nonsense with the warranty stuff is just bad or lazy customer service people not doing their job correctly. And side not Lowe's bought craftsman.

We bought a new refrigerator earlier this year. My Wife had always had Kenmore appliances, and had always had good luck with them. With the recent changes at Sears, we decided that it was too risky to buy form them. No guarantee of warranties should they go completely belly up, and I'm fairly certain that their suppliers are cutting corners these days as well in order to minimize any potential losses. So nope, we bought elsewhere.

There is risk with every purchase I guess and its possible you just got a dud but the whole nonsense with the warranty stuff is just bad or lazy customer service people not doing their job correctly. And side not Lowe's bought craftsman.

Lowe's carries Craftsman, but the brand was bought by Stanley/Black & Decker.

In the last 10 years I have had in a house I owned 3 separate refrigerator's (Samsung and LG), 3 different dishwasher brands (Frigidaire, Samsung and now a whirlpool, guy is installing right now) and 2 of each washer and dryer (all Samsung). I have had the least issues with Samsung but every single one of these appliances I have had extended warranty and used it saving me hundreds each time.

I fully agree the manufacturing process has gotten lazy and it's cheaper to move product than to give a damn about quality it seems.

I will be buying these extended plans until I find just one appliance that I don't use it for.

From my perspective Frigidaire and LG are complete garbage.

This is my first whirlpool dishwasher, hoping for best.

Miele appliances are the only brand I will buy. You pay a bit more up front, but you get what you pay for.

We purchased the Kenmore (by LG) French door refrigerator when we got this house. In less than a year the compressor went. The repair took 2 weeks to be done. Their repair service is the absolute pits. Had to buy a mini fridge to keep anything cold. Anyway, it got fixed, and 5 months later, the ice maker died. This time, not under warranty. Cost to repair was ridiculous (replace whole door). Bought a new one for less. 4 years later, still working well.

Back