Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone ever had a hard drive collapse with data so important you had to play to recover it? My backup external drive took a crap and if I don't recover it, I've lost 17 years worth of documents and drawing files...any recovery companies to avoid or suggest?

Anyone ever had a hard drive collapse with data so important you had to play to recover it? My backup external drive took a crap and if I don't recover it, I've lost 17 years worth of documents and drawing files...any recovery companies to avoid or suggest?

That happened to me one time with an internal laptop hard drive and I took it to my office IT guy, he was able to replace the part that failed, and got it to work enough to have the data extracted. Hopefully it’s salvageable for you. I’m sure there are a few people around here that will point you in the right direction.

Last I knew there were only a few companies in that game. Depending on the damage it could be a LOT of money.

I don’t have any recommendations for a company though.

We deal with a company called Drive Savers and depending on the amount of data and/or failure it can range from $750 - $3000

The good news is that the data is more than likely there. Platter failure is not usually the issue. It’s the PCB on the hard drive.

Unfortunately I don’t have a recommendation on a service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our IT department is looking at it. They've given me good and bad news, the good was it was definitely not mechanical. There is no audible click in the drive. The bad: it's a 1TB drive and when it's plugged up it shows as a 3GB drive, and that 3GB drive is empty..

We used to use Secure Data Recovery and never had an issue. They will give you a free evaluation and stick to the price quoted.
https://www.securedatarecovery.com/
Well not good news from our IT department. I ended up sending it here today. Hopefully, they recover it and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm in IT and we have used Drive Savers a time or two when a drive is gone. It cost money, but they did a great job. In our case, it mattered if we wanted to recover the whole drive or particular files. We chose the Desktop and Documents folders which saved us a great deal over recovering the whole thing.

Whiskey

So this sucks...18 years worth of drawings, documents and images. Likely gone..

Attachments

• photo35708.jpg
    photo35708.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 8
  • photo35709.jpg
    photo35709.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 9
  • photo35710.jpg
    photo35710.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 8
Qwkz51;n8875118 said:
So this sucks...18 years worth of drawings, documents and images. Likely gone..

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a real PIA.

Holy goodness that is a lot of money. Sorry to hear that.

So an update..after talking to the company, they agreed to work with my school to try and recover the drive. Thank you Maric! It will still be a bit before I know what they recovered, but there's a shot...and I didn't have that a week ago!!
​​

Glad to help. Hope it all works out for you

Going back a few years, I had some very important files erased (deleted?) or whatever. A buddy of mine told me about this company and I got their program and it worked like a charm. I didn't get all of my files, but I got over 90% of them. Might be worth a shot, don't know.

https://www.condusiv.com/products/undelete/

How did your data recovery go?

I think they are about done. Waiting on work to process the payment. That being said, it looks like they were going to fully, or nearly fully recover everything! Highly, highly recommend Secure Data Recovery if anyone else is this unfortunate!!

That's great, glad they could help you.

Qwkz51, just checking to see how the data recovery went.

I got my hard drive back a week or two ago. I was expecting a loss of some data, but I haven't seen anything yet. They did a great job, highly recommend SDR if anyone is unfortunate enough to have this happen!

Back