The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

anyone have any packing tips? Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the idea of packing all my crap up.

I know this probably isn’t feasible for many items, but I always wanted to just have a whole house sale. Please, buy my stuff so I don’t have to pack it. I have a pool table, bar, and way too many TVs. They all gotta stay. Cheap cheap cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Family just purchased a new cabin in Tahoe. Will be ready to move in a month! Now need to sell off the old one and some extra land that was purchased but super excited to be able to spend more time up in the mountains with a ton more space (wife wants a few kiddos). Went from under 2K sq/ft to over 5K

My in-laws just left Scottsdale after visiting with us for 5 weeks. All of a sudden, they want to invest in a house with my wife and I and live with us full time (totally cool with me BTW; they have visited us for long periods as we've lived in Costa Rica, Spain and Mexico - we all get along great).

When we are done with our next stint in Mexico on 1/31/2020, they want to look at houses with us in the Trilogy at Vistancia 55+ community in Peoria, AZ. We're already looking at houses online, and we hope to find one with a 2nd master or separate casita. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the possibility of living in Arizona again!

Plumbing getting roughed in before rain had other ideas
ab16bb89862df2436ee57b96f147de3d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getting real already!
f51dc6312cd247930cbc6582fbfe8f09.jpg

3f7ff38ece083d4f0f8105cc14ccbb19.jpg

Gonna have some garbage stealers too:
4df41f151d833db23b1662bb1e8ce5ef.jpg

JM

anyone have any packing tips? Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the idea of packing all my crap up.

I've got 12 moves under my belt and my wife has 22. I'd recommend scheduling a bulk trash pickup then put out all the junk in your house. Literally everything you don't want, is rusted or just junk. Also, start sorting all clothing and nicer things you just don't want anymore that could be sold at the salvation army (or Goodwill). Pack it in trash bags and be liberal with your decisions. If I haven't touched or worn it in a couple of years it's going to salvation army. This includes furniture. I don't do yard sales as that just adds to the stress of moving for me. Just get rid of it.

Then, get boxes. Start in the rooms you don't use often and just start packing up. Seal them as you fill them and label them with which room and general content. We use packing paper for the glass and breakable things in the house. Wrapping it all up and packing it tightly in boxes.

Hope that helps!

So the group selling us a condo tried to change our condo fee via email in the middle of the closing earlier today. It did not go over well. Added an extra 2 hours onto our closing to get it sorted out. Such a clown show on that end.

So the group selling us a condo tried to change our condo fee via email in the middle of the closing earlier today. It did not go over well. Added an extra 2 hours onto our closing to get it sorted out. Such a clown show on that end.

Little aggressive to have an HOA hike while you’re at the closing table. Sounds like a total HOA move though

Sh!T be happenin!

9722b8455d0c4c04dbdb590acee8fefd.jpg

6b1767b033d6ca7cb204805cc4fb3cd9.jpg

c132b1d9dc1f2e279ccc086c5164eedf.jpg

879ef9870ceab05a9df520b9f1a740ed.jpg

ce3b385eb98e82f2caa6da17c143ae31.jpg

24d8d9ad30564ec0c3780a9aa08db33e.jpg

Should have trusses on the second floor by Thursday.

JM

I think it’s pretty safe to say I just bought my 1st place. Signed the final closing docs last night, should have the keys in hand early next week.

I’m so excited that’s it’s almost over! It’s been the most stressful 2 months I’ve experienced since I was on such a time crunch to move out of the place I’m renting before lease renewal.

a2c2ba6b8dcedff85051af8d5937419b.jpg

Well, it’s Thursday! Dayum......

b751f747d13e019dcbbc8659bf8c9c2a.jpg

488812c6e026441090565804a3fde207.jpg

feff552a1053a5c940a360f311357b55.jpg

Well we bought a place in May and have been grinding away at the remodel since the 1st week of June...almost a complete gut...I changed out all the plumbing, water service, electrical, new A/C and ducts...getting ready to wrap it up with all the trim and finishes in the next couple of weeks.

Here are some before and during pics...

Luckily I’m in the business and have been able to get this done in 2 months, otherwise it’s a 6-8 month project easily

ecc781f6d4a0b95e116f23303b96c0fe.jpg
1b9dfdd8aeb36d5c41e8b6bc4227b3de.jpg
1a29e781291cc653418e1b30fe00de24.jpg
5839978c92ea3391f988b2eb3cdf8ff0.jpg
.jpg[/IMG]
5b52f119b30ff6746e343563798e8d73.jpg
e334f82503092c9d208e960c97d830ee.jpg
8d59312e54f0dbcc7bff1027a6cdf27c.jpg
e1585b398ce2f17929413f0ca8574db5.jpg
821500dfe0e8fa7c317d0ba709bb10e6.jpg
f0e860a18cd231a7f5add1de8f20a905.jpg
a3d8a7f0349093866c3ef9a03226117b.jpg
2d155bd4c1b59a11389cef6e90c0aae6.jpg

house across the street is now listed for at least the 3rd year in a row. wife and I are wondering wtf is going on. looking at the history on trulia its been sold for 30-50k more each time. maybe folks are just flipping? haunted lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The housing search is on again. We will be taking our talents to Florida less than one year from now. We have been looking into building new along with purchasing a move in ready home. I expect the next year to fly by with our son graduating high school, football, and with the daughters competitive cheer.

The housing search is on again. We will be taking our talents to Florida less than one year from now. We have been looking into building new along with purchasing a move in ready home. I expect the next year to fly by with our son graduating high school, football, and with the daughters competitive cheer.

Where in FL?

Most likely in that hippie area up north. Somewhere between Jacksonville and St. Augustine. We’ve started looking up around Ponta Vedra / Nocatee area.

Most likely in that hippie area up north. Somewhere between Jacksonville and St. Augustine. We’ve started looking up around Ponta Vedra / Nocatee area.

Jax isn't to hippie. St Augustine has its spots. My parents are just south of there in Palm Coast, but thats about an hour drive from Jax. Some great spots in that area.

Jax isn't to hippie. St Augustine has its spots. My parents are just south of there in Palm Coast, but thats about an hour drive from Jax. Some great spots in that area.

You can say that again about St Augustine. So many great locations in that area, so what I see happening is us renting a condo or apartment for 6 months, where we can look around and find where we truly want to be. We have several trips planned down over the next several months. We dabbled in the idea of further south.

You can say that again about St Augustine. So many great locations in that area, so what I see happening is us renting a condo or apartment for 6 months, where we can look around and find where we truly want to be. We have several trips planned down over the next several months. We dabbled in the idea of further south.

Rental for a period is a great idea. We have done that with most places we have moved to and really lets you get an understanding of what neighborhoods and areas you want to focus on.

Rental is a great idea so you would even have time to do any needed major renovations before moving in.

Makes it a lot easier to redo a kitchen when you don’t live there.

I've been looking at houses despite the wife not wanting to move. Our home is older (1992) and needs some updating as well as a new furnace/a/c. For me, it's a matter of how much time and money do we invest here while making sense financially. It's the area we love and we have about $40k in equity in the 4 years we have been here.

I didn’t comb the boards here, so if asked I apologize.

How many here go around to open houses to get ideas that look nice to do within their own house? My wife loves watching the hgtv shows, but I like to see things in person.

closing officially on the books for Friday afternoon.

closing officially on the books for Friday afternoon.

You still out in New York or did you move to another state?

Back