Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good questions, It’s mainly for work files (PowerPoint type presentations, some spreadsheet and word docs) that I need to backup. No videos or anything too large, but a decent amount of them. I’m guessing 1TB is plenty.

It’s coming from a Mac, not sure if that matters, and I don’t know what mains powered means (sorry) as I’m a bit of a novice with hardware tech.
Just on my way out of the door

Mains powered means it has its own power supply and plugs in to the mains

USB powered means it gets its power via the USB cable when you connect it to the computer

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Just on my way out of the door

Mains powered means it has its own power supply and plugs in to the mains

USB powered means it gets its power via the USB cable when you connect it to the computer

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Ah, ok! USB is preferred. Thanks

I second the C8! I have a 75” and it is amazing!

Use Greentoe.com (I paid $1750 for the 75” LG C8)

It saved me huge! About 35-40% less than CostCo, brand new, not refurbished. Name your price, definitely go way low and let them respond. They will come back with response and you can negotiate with them. There is no tax, no shipping and comes with full warranty. Comes from a major retailer, no grey market!

If it’s a C8, I’m assuming it’s OLED, what model LG is that? I’ve only seen their OLED TV’s in 65 and 77 inch size for the larger ones.

Good questions, It’s mainly for work files (PowerPoint type presentations, some spreadsheet and word docs) that I need to backup. No videos or anything too large, but a decent amount of them. I’m guessing 1TB is plenty.

It’s coming from a Mac, not sure if that matters, and I don’t know what mains powered means (sorry) as I’m a bit of a novice with hardware tech.

Ok, this is a UK site that I use when I need computer stuff, but I expect that you could find the equivalent on sites for you

This is a small USB powered drive, very similar to what I have connected to my media player

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb...dd-bus-powered-with-safetykey-pc-mac-carbon-b

For what you need, something like this would most likely be more than suitable

They do come in different sizes - 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 4TB

Chromecast. I'm tired of hooking the laptop up to the TV.

I am looking for some over the ear headphones to use while doing yard work. I do not want to spend a boatload cause they are going to get sweaty and dirty. Any good budget options?

Can't stop looking at high end TV's...oh my

Anyone here use a Tic Watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Receiver and tv. Turning our loft into a game/tv area. Probably 65" and need something with Atmos as I have the speakers/subs to do 7.2.4

Last edited:
75" for the family room
82/85" for the basement theater room
49" for the guest room
55" for the master bedroom

Definitive Technologies in wall speakers for the family room HT setup...SVS or DT sub...same sub for the basement to go along with the existing speakers...
Denon AVR-X3500H or 4500H receivers in the family room and HT area...Sonos soundbar in master, outdoor speakers controlled off of the family room receiver...

Been spending way too much time talking to my home theater guy

I want to get a projector for the man cave. Anyone have any recommendations for a good indoor projector and screen?

Probably going to build a desktop within the next 6 months. Not liking the performance my computer is getting with my VMs and want to move to a new setup.

Haven't had a desktop in a long time, but not liking the performance penalty of using the mobile chips over a desktop chip.

Just a lot to think about as I'm also likely fully making the move to Linux for my host environment from Windows. Still most of my home work will be done in VMs. Still unsure of the direction I will go.

Probably going to build a desktop within the next 6 months. Not liking the performance my computer is getting with my VMs and want to move to a new setup.

Haven't had a desktop in a long time, but not liking the performance penalty of using the mobile chips over a desktop chip.

Just a lot to think about as I'm also likely fully making the move to Linux for my host environment from Windows. Still most of my home work will be done in VMs. Still unsure of the direction I will go.

I’ve been shopping for DC grade servers on the used market. Seems the simplest method anymore. For anything lightweight I use my iPad or my phone. With something big enough I can power a server farm, and just deal with the noise.

I’ve been shopping for DC grade servers on the used market. Seems the simplest method anymore. For anything lightweight I use my iPad or my phone. With something big enough I can power a server farm, and just deal with the noise.
I've been thinking of going that direction. But noise and power considerations are in the back of my mind. The possible savings are definitely there I'm just pretty sure i dont need ecc ram so i could stay in the consumer line of chips. Again still in the early stages.

Picked up a few of the new SYMONFISK Sonos speakers at Ikea. The lamp sounds pretty amazing to be honest and the two satellite speakers will be pavers with my Playbar for surround sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back