Erky

Reaction score
Struggling a little right now. My step-mother was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in January of 2012. As many of you know, pancreatic cancer is among the most deadly forms of cancer out there. It's essentially a death sentence. She was given 6 months to a year to live. To make a long story short, this strong, stubborn woman didn't feel sorry for herself, not even for a single day. She made it her mission to defy all odds and beat it.

After being turned away from numerous surgeons, a surgeon from Shands Cancer Center happened to walk into her doctor's office, looking for someone just like her. He said that they would consider surgery if her chemo stopped the growth of her tumor (I suppose I should say "tumors" as she had a tumor on her pancreas and two spots on her liver). Her chemo shrank the tumor by 40%. Her doctor claims it was the strongest chemo he had given anyone, because she was strong enough to handle it. She never complained. Not once. She slowed down, but never stopped moving. Anyway, 18 months or so ago, she had the surgery. It involved a large team of surgeons and a lot of technology. It was a success. After the dust had settled, they declared her cancer free. She was instructed to get scans every 3 months in case the cancer came back. The scans have all been clear. Until now.

She went to a routine check-up, and the imaging showed the return of her cancer. She had a biopsy to verify, and it is the same kind of cancer she had before. She went back on chemo immediately (today). She doesn't feel sick. She didn't go to the doctor because she had problems. She feels 100%. The only reason they know is because these scans have been scheduled. I have to watch her go from someone who seemingly has nothing wrong back to what she becomes while fighting this terrible disease. I hate seeing her go through this. I know what's next. She's going to be sick. She's going to be unable to drink water that hasn't been heated up. She's going to lose her hair again. She's going to have neuropathy in her fingertips. She's going to be extremely sensitive to cold, so much so that touching a piece of metal that seems room temperature to you or me will be like touching ice. Her tongue will swell so that talking is difficult. She will have to wear a scarf over her mouth so that she doesn't breathe cool air, which constricts her breathing.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. My family and I are just really hurting right now.

Sounds like a crazy strong woman. Sorry to hear it Erky. Wishing her and your family the best.

There is absolutely no need to apologize. Those of us who have walked in your shoes know what you are going through. Thoughts & prayers are headed your way. Hang in there.

Don't apologize for anything, Erky. I wish I would have had a sounding board like THP when I was diagnosed with cancer back in 2002. Our prayers go out to you and your family.

Erky, prayers are with you and your family. I recently lost my grandmother to this very same cancer and it sucks. Please know that I will be praying for you and no apologizes are needed. Those of us that have witnessed this first hand know what you are going through and how tough the battle is.

KG

Just Tapping Away

Hate to hear it man. It's tough to see someone go through these kinds of things. Thoughts and prayers headed your way

Thoughts and prayers brother. A lot of us know the journey you're headed towards and know the pain. Most important is to just keep the love flowing, it makes a huge difference in a time when everything seems to just make you so angry.

Prayers to your family. You should be honored to have a woman this strong be a part of your life. Hoping she can beat it again.

Thoughts and prayers headed your way Erky. You've got a family here that you can bounce your venting off of if you need it, or pick you up if you're feeling down. There's no reason to apologize.

Thoughts and prayers and I totally agree with you...I hate that word with a passion! Way to much of this and if you want to bounce some frustration, just a PM away.

Thanks, guys. If anyone is strong enough to do this again, it's her.

Good thoughts and energy going to your step mother and your family. She is an incredibly strong woman, and she will fight to beat this a second time. No need to apologize at all.

So sorry to hear about that Erky. I agree cancer sucks, but it sounds like she's a fighter and I'll be praying for her and your family that she kicks its @ss again. Let us know if you need anything

Praying for your step Mother and family. The ups and downs you all have gone through is beyond reason.

All of the strength and thoughts going out to her and your family Erky.

That's rough stuff right there. One heck of strong person. Will pray for this lady. Stay positive and keep fighting. And based on what you wrote, it sounds like her will to keep going is giving thousands upon thousands of people, present and future, a chance to fight this form of cancer. Every chance she gets to experience something new, take a step forward, try something different is a chance to write a new blueprint on how to beat this stuff. Keep working with the doctors, she might be that breakthrough case that everyone needs...

Sorry to hear this Erky, but more importantly, no need to apologize. Thought and prayers heading her (and your family's) way my friend.

So sorry she is going through this again. Positive thouights and prayers will be sent to you and your family. You are correct cancer SUCKS

Best wishes to your mother in law, and the rest of your family.

Erky, that is terrible man. Cancer is absolutely terrible and the world would be a lot better without it. My grandfather had pancreatic cancer and he was given a couple weeks to live. He survived for 4 months and even mowed the lawn! The will power of people is incredible and your step mother sounds like as strong as they come. I pray for the process to be successful in eliminating the cancer and you resuming life as it was.

My heart and thoughts go out to you and your family Erky. No need to apologize at all. We are a family here, we help each other through tough times.

That is awful man. Hoping against hope that she can kick cancer's ugly a$$ again, and that you can stay strong!

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family Erky.

Erky, I'm truly sorry to hear this news for your step mother, you and the family. Seeing and watching cancer take its toll on a person is just cruel. You know that she can beat this because it's already been done. She is more prepared probably than anyone could be at this point. I'll be praying for her and the family to be able to have strength, courage, stamina, determination, patience, and understanding as you all walk through the upcoming days. Thanks for reaching out and I hope that these THP posts are encouraging words to your heart and soul.

Last edited:
Back