The Car Shopping Thread

6 and 7 series don't seem to hold value all that well. That's part of the price.

I've had a few BMWs and wouldn't get one with 100k+ miles again. It's one thing if you drive it to the 100k mile mark and know all the maintenance. It's totally different with someone else driving it to 100k.

Jmo

The VANOS system is awful. I don't know why manufacturers need to over complicate something.

Also the fact they say you can go 15k between services yet have all this trouble with their VVT is confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm k, thanks guys, maybe I'll keep looking, I can find much newer Mustangs in the same price range (albeit with a V6) It is a little scary buying anything with over 100k miles.

The VANOS system is awful. I don't know why manufacturers need to over complicate something.

Also the fact they say you can go 15k between services yet have all this trouble with their VVT is confusing.

I know the older VANOS systems had improper seals. They used the wrong compound and the seals would shrink with heat.

Have they changed that?

I replaced my VANOS seals in my old 325i and noticed a slight difference although it could have been all placebo effect.

I know the older VANOS systems had improper seals. They used the wrong compound and the seals would shrink with heat.

Have they changed that?

I replaced my VANOS seals in my old 325i and noticed a slight difference although it could have been all placebo effect.

Solenoids, actuators, cam sensors and the valvetronic sensor are all common.

They also have a problem with a snap ring wearing a groove in the cam bearing and dropping oil pressure .

Add to the fact they tell you you can go 15k between oil changes and yah.

Not a fan.

They also have a problem with a snap ring wearing a groove in the cam bearing and dropping oil pressure .

Not a fan.

Honda told me 15k between oil changes too. So it's not just BMW.

I go 8-9k miles between oil changes and never had an oil related issue. I also researched the hell out of it and found a ton of good info with real life tests and results to back the 8-9k miles.

I think 15k is a joke as well but my step dad's 325i has 160k miles and no major issues and he's followed BMW's plan to a T

I go 8-9k miles between oil changes and never had an oil related issue. I also researched the hell out of it and found a ton of good info with real life tests and results to back the 8-9k miles.

I think 15k is a joke as well but my step dad's 325i has 160k miles and no major issues and he's followed BMW's plan to a T

Hmm Honda says 15k?

I have a 12 Civic Si and they told me 3750.

I can go look on Mitchell but I'm lazy.

Hmm Honda says 15k?

my last VW and my current ford both say 15k, so it seems to be a trend

Not a fan.

Do the VANOS problems effect engines with 8 cylinders also? When I google BMW VANOS problems all I get are results for are the 6 cylinder engines.

Hmm Honda says 15k?

It was a 2011 Civic. I got the whole free oil changes when I bought the car. I don't like dealing with stealerships but free oil changes was nice. They said every 15k for oil and replace the filter every 7500.

I'd have no problem believing they weren't being honest. I said they were crazy and replaced it myself between the 15k mile free changes I had from them

Regardless I can't stress how important oil changes are now with engines and anything past 5k regardless of what the oem states is insane.

Toyota says 10k and I change my wife's every 5.

The Car Shopping Thread

Do the VANOS problems effect engines with 8 cylinders also? When I google BMW VANOS problems all I get are results for are the 6 cylinder engines.

I never really ran into it other than the N51 and N52 which are the straight sixes .

Regardless I can't stress how important oil changes are now with engines and anything past 5k regardless of what the oem states is insane.

So you're favorite answer to "When was the last time you changed your oil?" is "I don't know"...

Lol

So you're favorite answer to "When was the last time you changed your oil?" is "I don't know"...

Lol

Second to

"The grinding just started"

Pull it apart and half the rotor is missing

Second to

"The grinding just started"

Pull it apart and half the rotor is missing

How about, ''when it started smoking I finished my road trip then brought it here''

Anyone know much about BMWs? The wife and I have been thinking about getting a convertible since moving to SoCal. I've been eyeing this car because it looks sweet and seems like a screaming deal, but at the same time has me wondering what might be wrong with it. http://www.importsautooutlet.com/2006_BMW_6 Series_Spring Valley_CA_257955877.veh

Yeah, I'd avoid a 2006 BMW 650 unless I was buying right from the original owner with a folder stuffed with receipts. If you are looking for a convertible for sure and can eat a bigger budget consider a 2011 328 E90 (2012 was the last year of them and everything was worked out by 2011) plus it's the naturally aspirated 3.0 that will run forever (I've taken two of them over 140k miles).

This one is great and has the M-Sport package...........just need a replacement rim (easy to find).

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/642141294/overview/#

you can run the last 7 of the vin into http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html and see the factory specs.

even then, have it taken to a BIMRS.ORG approver independent mechanic for a PPI (s/b around $150)..........or look for a private sale on BMWCCA.org and again have it inspected.

These cars have no problems lasting a long time but yes they have fussy plastic/rubber bits and sensors that need replacement. Also send an oil sample to Blackstone labs for an analysis, around 7.5k miles is usually preferable and is an easy DIY with a Mityvac since the oil filter is on top of the engine.

Last edited:

I had access to an oil analysis lab for a couple years before I left Oklahoma and we did an experiment to see how often we should really change our oil. This was when synthetic was just starting to gain ground, so I put Dino oil in my car, synthetic in the wife's and went to it.

The Dino oil started to break down a little at just over 9k miles, but contaminants were still acceptable.

The full synthetic showed no signs of trouble at 10k, so we went to 13k and it was still acceptable in all facets. 15k was the same, but sulphur was starting to get to marginal levels, so we changed it.

This was in the days when 3k miles was the gold standard and everyone changed theirs. Fast forward to today and without oil analysis, I'm not brave enough to go to 15k, but I normally try every 7500 miles.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I do every 10k in my dirty diesel.
I had access to an oil analysis lab for a couple years before I left Oklahoma and we did an experiment to see how often we should really change our oil. This was when synthetic was just starting to gain ground, so I put Dino oil in my car, synthetic in the wife's and went to it.

The Dino oil started to break down a little at just over 9k miles, but contaminants were still acceptable.

The full synthetic showed no signs of trouble at 10k, so we went to 13k and it was still acceptable in all facets. 15k was the same, but sulphur was starting to get to marginal levels, so we changed it.

This was in the days when 3k miles was the gold standard and everyone changed theirs. Fast forward to today and without oil analysis, I'm not brave enough to go to 15k, but I normally try every 7500 miles.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The Car Shopping Thread

A modern car should be able to go 10k miles between oil changes easily, especially if your using fully synthetic rather than that blended crap. My last car on the UK was 12 months or 20k, whichever came sooner, which is fairly standard back home. This whole oil change every 3k is a money making racket!

A modern car should be able to go 10k miles between oil changes easily, especially if your using fully synthetic rather than that blended crap. My last car on the UK was 12 months or 20k, whichever came sooner, which is fairly standard back home. This whole oil change every 3k is a money making racket!

In all reality, a broad generalization of every 5k, 10k or even 15k isn't a great way to measure oil life.

It totally depends on climate, driving style, car and oil used. There's a TON of available info with real world tests and analysis out there. You just have to sift through the crap to find it.

For my engine I've found plenty of data to support changing my oil every 8-9k miles. That's every 6 to 7 months so I just replace it every March and September. I do it all myself and spend half what BMW wants and I know exactly what oil I'm getting every time.

I can't even begin to tell you how wrong this is.

Tell that to BMW, GM, Ford, and the numerous other manufacturers that all have VVT problems because of oil breakdown.

I'm sure you read it on the internet though.

I can't even begin to tell you how wrong this is.

Tell that to BMW, GM, Ford, and the numerous other manufacturers that all have VVT problems because of oil breakdown.

I'm sure you read it on the internet though.
Is the breakdown because owners decided to go to Jiffy Lube? (curious)

Is the breakdown because owners decided to go to Jiffy Lube? (curious)

I'm sure that contributes to it as well been even the best synthetics break down, especially in severe weather conditions . I agree that this day in age 3k is overkill but I would never go over 5k is anything I owned .

Routine oil changes are the easiest thing you can do to prolong your engine life. I realize they aren't cheap anymore but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than motor parts .

I've been a 4-door sedan guy for as long as I can remember. However, it's a pain to put golf clubs into a trunk. I think my next car will be a hatchback or SUV for that reason alone.

Back