The Car Shopping Thread

Two things we've been eyeing buddy. You might just be hearing more from me down the road.

Do not buy a Chevy Equinox. The GM DI 4 cylinder is terrible. The vehicle itself is built so chincey it's ridiculous.

Do not buy a Chevy Equinox. The GM DI 4 cylinder is terrible. The vehicle itself is built so chincey it's ridiculous.

I knew I could count on you for some insight. Honestly, the last two chevy's we have owned didn't go well at all. I always look because I was "raised on them" but I've honestly got no allegiances now. I want something I can rely on first and foremost.

Wife wants my Veloster Turbo, not happening.

We have started looking at new SUV's for post baby, she HAS to have ether 4wd or AWD, so I'm trying to come up with things to get her to look at that are non massive SUV if possible. She knows in 2 years when we are living where she works she can get whatever she wants, but for now there are needs.

Explain to me why you need an SUV with 1 child. Or do you just want to get another SUV?

I'd definitely go with an Escape over the Equinox, I'm not too familiar with the Chevy 4-cylinder like JRod said but it doesn't surprise me. Interesting fact about most 4cyl engines I recently read on JD Power and Assoc. is that engine trouble are becoming more frequent now because manufacturers have been making some of their biggest changes in years in order to improve gas mileage. JRod may know of issues with Fords too so he is the guy to ask about reliability. I just work with numbers haha

The Car Shopping Thread

Explain to me why you need an SUV with 1 child. Or do you just want to get another SUV?

My wife commutes 35 miles each way, when there is snow, you know she still has to get there regardless of conditions for work/residency, so 4wd/AWD is a necessity and I prefer her in something that makes me feel better about the situation, hence an SUV.

If you ever look at a Ford or GM vehicle I can always pull invoices as well so you know what you're working with when you go to the dealer, I helped Big Time get a pretty good deal on his truck last year

My wife commutes 35 miles each way, when there is snow, you know she still has to get there regardless of conditions for work/residency, so 4wd/AWD is a necessity and I prefer her in something that makes me feel better about the situation, hence an SUV.

Silly me thinks that you guys don't get snow being so far south compared to here. But I get it now. I just have an aversion to people that drive around in SUVs for no reason whatsoever, but that doesn't apply to your situation.

Silly me thinks that you guys don't get snow being so far south compared to here. But I get it now. I just have an aversion to people that drive around in SUVs for no reason whatsoever, but that doesn't apply to your situation.

I say drive what you want, if its an SUV so be it.

Yeah, we get straight up ice down here, it's a nightmare at times most years because people are dumb when driving. Plus, in OK and down here, SUV's are very much practical.

I will say, trying to travel (whether on vacation or to a relative's house) with one child and all of her stuff, an SUV comes in handy. The added size also gives me a little more piece of mind when my daughter is out.

We could make due with a sedan if we really needed to. And, if we lived in Boston, Chicago or New York, we probably would (if we had a car). With that said, the gas mileage and upkeep is comparable, and space isn't an issue. The SUV makes sense to me.

Don't know if this has ever been discussed, but I'll throw it out & see if anyone has any input:

My oldest son is doing drivers ed & will have his license soon. Trouble is, he's 6'5" and doesn't really fit into any of our cars - mostly due to legroom (although he can't sit up straight in my daughter's little 2-door Acura 2.3CL) and being 5'9" I haven't had to deal with this issue before.

I did a little research & Honda Accura was mentioned as having a lot space for taller guys. Any other suggestions? I'd like to stay away from the truck/SUV route - we need more MPG rather than hauling room. Thanks for any suggestions!

I'm 6'6 and fit perfectly comfortable in my 2012 civic.

I'm 6'6 and fit perfectly comfortable in my 2012 civic.

Thanks JRod. We have a friend who runs an import auto repair place so he's great with Hondas & such - I'll ask him to keep an eye out for a good used one.

Ecoboost explorer, v6 with the power and torque of a V8 with good mpg and all kinds of options.

Found a good deal on a kia sedona. Got a few of those and 2 or 3 siennas on the radar hoping to check a few out later or tomorrow

Found a good deal on a kia sedona. Got a few of those and 2 or 3 siennas on the radar hoping to check a few out later or tomorrow

Have you looked into the Mazda?

Mazda cx5 is one heck of a small utility. Spacious and very nice options. Its defently one to test drive, price point is good too.

Have you looked into the Mazda?
A little bit but sounds like we are making a run at a full size mini van. Depending on what we find and can work out too

A little bit but sounds like we are making a run at a full size mini van. Depending on what we find and can work out too

Do they not still have one?

It is smaller. We tested it out, and while it lacked a few features, we kind of liked it back then.
Yeah for a few bucks more I'll take the full size mini van. Found a great deal on a kia and that's before I work my magic gonna check it out first.

Yeah for a few bucks more I'll take the full size mini van. Found a great deal on a kia and that's before I work my magic gonna check it out first.

Have you looked into the Ford at all?

Back