The Car Shopping Thread

Unless I have some very specific wants/needs or a ton of cash laying around I don't think I will ever buy NEW again.

There are so many gently used and coming-off-lease vehicles that I believe I can get something satisfactory.

Always remember this tip I read, The salespeople get either paid or screwed when you buy a new car based on the satisfaction survey after the sale. I know that 1-2 bad (not full 5 star) ratings from a customer and the salesperson can write off that month. So to get around that tell them that you will give them a good review, good phone number to contact you and that you will pick up right away in exchange for another $500 off the purchase price. the survey score is worth a ton more to them and the dealer than the $500.

My method for buying my last 2 cars worked extremely well.

I send an email to all the fleet sales email addresses in the area, making sure they are all in the send to field so they see I am emailing all of their competitors. I state the model and features I want and advise I won't negotiate, I will simply bhuy from the Dealer that emails me the best price for the vehicle I want. They don't know what the other locations are sending me, so they either give me the best offer they can or I simply ignore them.

I show up and buy the vehicle I want. If they get shady with me when I arrive, I have all the other offers readily available and simply walk out.

I have not had to leave the first location either time now.

I love the Internet.

You at Toyota? I've heard they're none to thrilled e about negotiating on Prius.
They weren't and we walked...even with family member there.

We might have it figured out but I went mikedean on them and might have some favors owed
Well played

They weren't and we walked...even with family member there.
Yah that's the problem. They did the same thing with me on a Tacoma. They sell so many of them they don't negotiate. It's pretty irritating.

Yah that's the problem. They did the same thing with me on a Tacoma. They sell so many of them they don't negotiate. It's pretty irritating.
I love the old "we are losing 4k on this car". Sure you are. And you only make $900 on each car you sell and can still pay the commission and keep the lights on. Right....

I love the old "we are losing 4k on this car". Sure you are. And you only make $900 on each car you sell and can still pay the commission and keep the lights on. Right....
Yah i hear Yah bro. It's infuriating.

After driving one in Las Vegas last year, I'm really thinking about getting a Dodge Charger as my next vehicle (maybe next year when I can find a '15 slightly used). So sick of my 07 Sonata after driving it for 8 years now. Really trying to wait until we are able to pay off our van first so that we only have one payment (or have a small enough amount to roll/combine it into the new loan).

I have an 08 with nearly 200,000 miles - has been a great car! May be selling it to my son - might buy another Charger, although this time I want the srt! I like the back end of the 08 Charger, but the front end of the newer Charger - but I know the new Charger is way more fuel efficient.

Oh yeah, another tip I remember...end of month is the best time to buy because monthly sales goals - and that isn't just pure numbers - start hitting people hard. It can be easier to make deals happen at the end of the month.

Yah i hear Yah bro. It's infuriating.
Really like the optima. Really really like the features of the fully loaded model

Really like the optima. Really really like the features of the fully loaded model

its nice indeed, and it does look a lot better than the prius

Love mine so much I've put 34k in miles on it in 15 months

We would have walked out with that, but it lacked AWD... we got the Sportage instead.

Don't need a lot of that in FL fortunately.
Solid point. IIRC the Optima had an option of cooled seats though, that could come in handy.

Cooled seats?

Well that changes some things.

Cooled seats?

Well that changes some things.
And it works. Ford and Lexus has them too I bekieve.

I might be going home with one if these. They have a fully loaded one here we like.

And it works. Ford and Lexus has them too I believe.

I might be going home with one if these. They have a fully loaded one here we like.

some BMW's have the cooled seats as well

And it works. Ford and Lexus has them too I bekieve.

I don't know how I ever did leather before cooled seats. Don't think I could ever get another car without them

I drove an Optima as my rental car at the 2012 THP Outing and I was really impressed by it. Like TeedUpThoughts, if AWD wasn't a big consideration for me, it would be at the top of my list. I definitely prefer the styling of the Optima over the Sonata, even though both cars share a good number of similarities in terms of build.

Do not buy an extended warranty unless it's through kia themselves and explicitly States that hybrid is covered.

I drove an Optima as my rental car at the 2012 THP Outing and I was really impressed by it. Like TeedUpThoughts, if AWD wasn't a big consideration for me, it would be at the top of my list. I definitely prefer the styling of the Optima over the Sonata, even though both cars share a good number of similarities in terms of build.

Absolutely adore everything about my 2013 Optima SX. So fun tonight drive with the turbo but great gas mileage on the highways still!

ute7erag.jpg

Dang I should have gotten cooled seats for the 3 months we have summer

Back