The Car Shopping Thread

My 2007 GMC Sierra is such a turd. Lousy mileage, no power, cheap interior, cheap 'eco' paint, body panels made of paper etc etc.
Lifters malfunctioned and motor blew at 60,000 miles.
Everything rattles.
Cheap Suspension (Z-71 my ass)

Rant over...until I turn the key again.

Yeah I love that they have numerous known defect issues but only help out with a few (gas sensor light).

Tranny is garbage, Im shocked I made it this long

Is there any value in going with a diesel motor in a full size truck? It used to be cause of strength and longevity out of the motor were the big selling points. With the crazy fuel
Costs and added cost of the drive train. Do you get you money's worth out of it. It seems gasoline powered have come a long way.

No. Fuel mileage in truck diesels in no better than gasoline engines unless you are hauling 24/7.

Is there any value in going with a diesel motor in a full size truck? It used to be cause of strength and longevity out of the motor were the big selling points. With the crazy fuel
Costs and added cost of the drive train. Do you get you money's worth out of it. It seems gasoline powered have come a long way.

I love my diesel for its MPG and it's power when loaded/overloaded. I've never had a problem pulling anything or over loading the bed and I frequently put 2,000lbs of pellets on a skid in the bed with no sag of the rear end. We also haul a Cherokee to deer camp and I can run 80 through pa, wv, md with no problem.

But if you don't use it for that I'm not sure there is an advantage in buying the diesel 3/4 over a half ton gas.

I have zero idea of cost of ownership for the new 1/2 ton diesels though I suspect it'll use more oil for oil changes, fuel filter needs changed more often. Heated seats are a must IMO in our climates for a diesel as they simply don't warm up like a gas motor does to heat the cab

No. Fuel mileage in truck diesels in no better than gasoline engines unless you are hauling 24/7.

Going to disagree with you for once there. If you compare a gas 3/4 ton to a diesel 3/4 ton you are looking at about 5 mpg better in the diesel, while also getting close to twice the torque.

The Dodge 1500 with a v8 gets 13/19 20/28 for the diesel.

Now whether it's worth the additional up front cost, higher price for fuel and maintenance costs is another story. But they certainly get better gas mileage. I definitely agree it's not worth going to a 3/4 ton just for a diesel if you don't tow a ton.

Going to disagree with you for once there. If you compare a gas 3/4 ton to a diesel 3/4 ton you are looking at about 5 mpg better in the diesel, while also getting close to twice the torque.

Now whether it's worth the additional up front cost, higher price for fuel and maintenance costs is another story. But they certainly get better gas mileage. I definitely agree it's not worth going to a 3/4 ton just for a diesel if you don't tow a ton.

I work construction, I do a bit of towing and constantly loading. Lumber packages, masonry, and anything else that I need right away. Not to mention just the standard tool boxes. So I'm cool with the 3/4 ton package. The addition 7-8k lay down on the vehicle costs and added main thence costs is where I'm curious to "is it worth it". Gasoline motors and drive trains seem to be sufficient. It's a matter of would it make that much of a difference. My 06 gets about 14 mpg which is a mixture if city and highway. Thanks for all the insight fellas

Guys I'm considering one of the two shortly.

2008-2010 Jeep Cherokee SRT8
2009-2011 Mercedes ML550

Anyone here have experience with these two? I'm leaning towards the MB but the traditional issues that come with them and their high end repairs cost terrify me.

My wife drove a 2010 ML550 for a few years, really liked the car and it never gave us a moment of trouble. She is driving a 2014 GL550 now and absolutely loves the car.

The Car Shopping Thread

You couldn't pay me take a used BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. Repairs are frequent and expensive. They should be got new as a short term lease and dumped like a bad ex girlfriend at the end of the lease. If you do then if highly suggest buying every service contract and tire product you are offered at the highest level of coverage.

Diesel engines I would avoid in a Ford and only in any other make if you really have to haul heavy stuff constantly.

You couldn't pay me take a used BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. Repairs are frequent and expensive.

I think it depends on situation. Our Mercedes diesel was purchased used and has been absolutely amazing.

My wife drove a 2010 ML550 for a few years, really liked the car and it never gave us a moment of trouble. She is driving a 2014 GL550 now and absolutely loves the car.
Great thanks.

I think it depends on situation. Our Mercedes diesel was purchased used and has been absolutely amazing.

There are exceptions to every rule. I base my opinion on the majority in the data I deal with. There are good and bad models of any make.

I was comparing a half ton to a3/4 ton. A diesel is going to get nowhere near the fuel mileage a ecoboost does. I guess i should have clarified as i find it silly to own a three quarter or one ton without a diesel.

I will say you guys have been extremely fortunate with the sprinter. Was a terrible build by Daimler Chrysler. I'm glad you guys have had Good luck though.

Just landed in Philly picking up a Jaguar for the wife to replace her 15 year old car.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was comparing a half ton to a3/4 ton. A diesel is going to get nowhere near the fuel mileage a ecoboost does. I guess i should have clarified as i find it silly to own a three quarter or one ton without a diesel.

That makes sense, and I agree going to a 3/4 diesel for mpgs is a bit silly. but I still think a duramax will get similar mileage as the ecoboost.

The Car Shopping Thread

How long do you keep a car? That's the first question to ask. Reason is that break even on lease vs buy takes 9/10 years for buying to make sense.

When doing that analysis, don't forget to add the costs of maintenance, new tires, a repair or two.

Then don't forget what everyone forgets - the value of your down payment. Over 30 years for instance, your $5k down payment could be worth $160k if invested rather than spent on a car (using 12% historical return on index funds)

Then, if you're only keeping a car for 3 years, you can get whatever you like. Long-term reliability is irrelevant.

Having said that...the cheapest way to acquire a car is to buy a mint, low-mileage vehicle and keep it until it falls apart.

I try to find a 5-7 year old car that's in pristine condition with low miles. Pay as little as possible and then drive it until it falls apart.

Searching autotrader.com for vehicles that have 2nd row captains chairs is a complete nightmare.

I know the minivans do but I also know a lot of models of crossovers and suv's do as well, sorting through to find them has been awful

That's why I do buy new now. I'm to the point in life where I don't want to compromise on what I want.

I try to find a 5-7 year old car that's in pristine condition with low miles. Pay as little as possible and then drive it until it falls apart.

Me too. More money for skis and golf clubs that way! :D

The Car Shopping Thread

That makes sense, and I agree going to a 3/4 diesel for mpgs is a bit silly. but I still think a duramax will get similar mileage as the ecoboost.

I have an eco-boost 5 in my Fusion Titanium. Highway mileage is ok, but overall mileage is no better than the 6 in my prior Taurus. Really have to spin it up to get any power. The truck's ecoboost is probably better, but the 4 is a disappointment. Sounds like a lawn mower too :). Perfectly adequate, but mediocre engine.

Searching autotrader.com for vehicles that have 2nd row captains chairs is a complete nightmare.

I know the minivans do but I also know a lot of models of crossovers and suv's do as well, sorting through to find them has been awful

Have you checked into the Ford Flex?

Have you checked into the Ford Flex?
I have a little bit. A few used options near by but have more miles on them for the price at the moment but certainly going to look more into them

Alot of hate on the german cars but i havent had any major issies with the 4 high milage bmws ive owned. Still have a 95 m3 with 134k on it. Every car has its issues and can be expensive to repair. I do my own work so that saves a lot. I will say i would buy a used bmw or benz before i would ever look at an audi.

^^^ what he said......I've had over 6 BMW's now over 25+ years of driving and none have had any "pull over now yer farked" type problems or overly expensive maintenance/service. I paid more to replace shyte like mirrors/trim/sensors/parts on my Chevy Tahoe's/Jeep Cherokees and even my mother's Ford Escape than any BMW I've owned. You have to be smart and proactive though and do not take your car into any dealer for post warranty repairs find a good indy and buy the parts online first. Cars like P-cars and BMW's have a vast enthusiast network and aftermarket performance part suppliers, it's why you still see E36 M3's on the road and 5x as many E46's still on on the road happily plugging away compared to their MBZ and Audi counterparts which fell apart long ago.

You do have to take care of BMW's though, and replace all the rubber/plasticky parts and various sensors on a 5 year cycle. They are not appliances like a Toyota (whose US built model quality I would now question) but they drive so much better, have way better brakes, still offered manual transmission (sort of) and are much much more engaging (not so much on the newer bigger lighter electric steering F30/F10's etc though).

Currently have a 2013 F10 535 M-sport with the last of the 6-speed manual transmissions. No problems. No issues. Nothing.

Appliances? Is that like code for may not have ridiculous unneeded bells and whistles but will cost you nothing to own?

Back