Cell phone companies: the good, the bad, the deals

So we currently have ATT and have 12 mobile lines and 7 iPads for the business, paying a hair under $1k/month. T-Mobile Business reps came into the office with a proposal saving us almost 50%!!! It was real eye opening. That also included new devices for all lines.

Before I make the switch anyone have good bad and ugly for T-Mobile?

So we currently have ATT and have 12 mobile lines and 7 iPads for the business, paying a hair under $1k/month. T-Mobile Business reps came into the office with a proposal saving us almost 50%!!! It was real eye opening. That also included new devices for all lines.

I'm on Project Fi which is T-Mobile, Sprint and Wi-Fi. In my area I'm almost always on T-Mobile and it's been great so far. I know it's not exactly apples to apples but thought I'd share.

I have driven from KC to San Francisco. Taken the I-80 route, the I-70 route and the southern route with T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint phones all in tow. None of them worked everywhere and each of them worked where the other two didn't. Jacqui hated Verizon here in Kansas City. I had Sprint not work at LAX years ago. The biggest knock on T-Mobile is in the rural areas. If you are near meat packing plants in rural areas much, they were poor, at least 8 years ago when the company I worked for at the time tried them.

I have driven from KC to San Francisco. Taken the I-80 route, the I-70 route and the southern route with T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint phones all in tow. None of them worked everywhere and each of them worked where the other two didn't. Jacqui hated Verizon here in Kansas City. I had Sprint not work at LAX years ago. The biggest knock on T-Mobile is in the rural areas. If you are near meat packing plants in rural areas much, they were poor, at least 8 years ago when the company I worked for at the time tried them.

I'm far from a rural area. Miami is as Metro as it gets. But I know in Miami there are certain areas were not one provider get reception. It's just a dead zone. So don't expect much to change there

Good through April 10 on T-Mobile. http://www.t-mobile.com/mlb.html?camp=16034_a

TMD_0007_MLB_LandingPg_Dsk_Slice1_1240x881_V3R.jpg

Right now my T-Mobile plan is as follows:

Two lines, 2 gb data on each line for $80 per month (plus fees)
I pay $10 more for a total of 3 gb on my line with data stash.
So $90 a month plus fees, minus a corporate discount and I pay about $94 a month for our two lines.

They now have a two line, 6gb data per line for $80 a month (plus fees). Each line also has data stash.
So $80 a month, plus fees, minus a corporate discount and I will pay about $85 a month for our two lines with way more data.

Guess what I am going to do?

Actually, I just did it! No reason at all not to. I did lose my unlimited amount of data stash. They now only let you carry over 20 gb a month. But I am down to 20.5 gb and losing 2 gb of that at the end of my billing cycle. So it's a non issue. Plus I am saving about nine bucks a month! And now, if we need it, we have data stash on Jacqui's phone, and she only uses about 200 mb a month.

I'm thinking about the Project Fi by Google. It's priced great and the fact you only pay for the data you use is solid. Gotta decide on a phone though.

Right now my T-Mobile plan is as follows:

Two lines, 2 gb data on each line for $80 per month (plus fees)
I pay $10 more for a total of 3 gb on my line with data stash.
So $90 a month plus fees, minus a corporate discount and I pay about $94 a month for our two lines.

They now have a two line, 6gb data per line for $80 a month (plus fees). Each line also has data stash.
So $80 a month, plus fees, minus a corporate discount and I will pay about $85 a month for our two lines with way more data.

Guess what I am going to do?

Actually, I just did it! No reason at all not to. I did lose my unlimited amount of data stash. They now only let you carry over 20 gb a month. But I am down to 20.5 gb and losing 2 gb of that at the end of my billing cycle. So it's a non issue. Plus I am saving about nine bucks a month! And now, if we need it, we have data stash on Jacqui's phone, and she only uses about 200 mb a month.

New bill is $83.97 a month for the two lines and 6 gigs data on each. And Jacqui now has 5.9 gigs in her data stash, haha.

Signed up for Cingular like 15 years ago. Still with them or att now. $63 unlimted everything.

Lots of stuff on T-Mobile going on.

First we signed up for the over 55 Unlimited plan. Two lines of unlimited for 60 bucks total per month. I added 10 bucks to get 10 gigs of 4G mobile hotspot per month.

On the over 55 plan, only one person needs to be over 55 to get the plan. They can add a child or whoever onto their plan to get the deal.

Last week they added Netflix to their regular priced unlimited plans. I was excited about it, but found out my discounted plan isn't part of it. Oh well.

And NOW, they are the first carrier to go to 50 gigs per month before possible throttling of data speeds. Not really a deal, just a change but a pretty big one.

And rumor is the on again/off again T-Mobile and Sprint merger is on again.

GG and I just made the switch to Spectrum Mobile, which runs on VZW. Our phones didn’t change, we still have unlimited that gets throttled a bit after 20gb and nothing really changes at all. Except it saves us $54 a month after all fees and taxes. Kind of crazy and I am kind of pissed we didn’t change sooner.

JB;n8879507 said:
GG and I just made the switch to Spectrum Mobile, which runs on VZW. Our phones didn’t change, we still have unlimited that gets throttled a bit after 20gb and nothing really changes at all. Except it saves us $54 a month after all fees and taxes. Kind of crazy and I am kind of pissed we didn’t change sooner.

We're thinking of doing Comcast's mobile plan - they're also on VZW and their website looks almost the same (with the same 20GB cap), so I'm actually wondering if that's two names for the same service. I think we'd be saving over $70/month

mpeterson;n8881130 said:
We're thinking of doing Comcast's mobile plan - they're also on VZW and their website looks almost the same (with the same 20GB cap), so I'm actually wondering if that's two names for the same service. I think we'd be saving over $70/month

24 hours in and we haven't noticed a change other than the top says Spectrum instead of VZW. One of the easiest ways we have ever saved $50-$60 a month ever.

JB;n8881141 said:
24 hours in and we haven't noticed a change other than the top says Spectrum instead of VZW. One of the easiest ways we have ever saved $50-$60 a month ever.

so what’s the potential risk? do they have comparable coverage nationwide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8881143 said:
so what’s the potential risk? do they have comparable coverage nationwide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s running on Verizon towers so it’s the same coverage. There are a few downfalls that don’t impact us. Streaming video on phones is limited to 480p and it is capped at 20gb data before throttled to slower speed. We had that cap with VZW too.

Speed test so far show it is identical to what I had previously.

The other side of things is that you need to have Spectrum internet at home to qualify.

JB;n8879507 said:

That is good info. We may need to do that too.

Looked at the spectrum wireless site today. I’ll be leaving when my contract is up with Verizon. It will save us a little over $30 per month.

JB;n8879507 said:

I already give Spectrum enough money each month, but this sounds like something to consider right here.

Switched from AT&T to Xfinity wireless today. $45 unlimited. On Verizon's network, and already better than what I had with AT&T. Drove through a few places where I always drop calls and had zero issues.

I think we're going to move my wife's phone over once her phone gets unlocked, and we might even be able to do the 10gb/$60 plan, which would literally halve our payment.

mpeterson;n8888678 said:
Switched from AT&T to Xfinity wireless today. $45 unlimited. On Verizon's network, and already better than what I had with AT&T. Drove through a few places where I always drop calls and had zero issues.

I think we're going to move my wife's phone over once her phone gets unlocked, and we might even be able to do the 10gb/$60 plan, which would literally halve our payment.

Yeah since switching to Spectrum (virtually the same thing), we have not noticed a single change, other than it saying Spectrum at the top instead of VZW and it saves us $50+ a month.

mpeterson;n8888678 said:

That’s great! We haven’t noticed any issues yet or felt like we skipped a beat.

JB;n8888680 said:
Yeah since switching to Spectrum (virtually the same thing), we have not noticed a single change, other than it saying Spectrum at the top instead of VZW and it saves us $50+ a month.

Thanks for the inspiration. It'll be nice paying < $100 a month for the two phones for the first time in forever.

mpeterson;n8888776 said:
Thanks for the inspiration. It'll be nice paying < $100 a month for the two phones for the first time in forever.

Thats a great savings. Glad to be of assistance. We weren’t planning on doing it right away, but once we were in the store we would have been stupid not to switch.

Back