The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, $119 dollars later, the heat is operational again. Wire in the compressor unit rubbed against some metal and caused a short. This blew a fuse in the air handler in the attic. I will have to say O'Briens HVAC in Wilmington, NC is awesome! I have used them several times and they always do a great job and have hard working people!
Glad to hear it worked out well. Can echo the relief in having a trusted and fair HVAC company. We love ours, tremendous people.

OK, here's why you should always get regular physicals.

Had mine earlier this month, feeling fine. All tests came back good, except kidney function. Doctor suspected prostate-related issues, but an ultrasound, CT scan, and very high deductible later, it turns out I have such a large kidney stone they want to remove it tomorrow. And I've had no pain at all, which none of them can understand. So make and keep those appointments. They tell me the effects from this are usually not permanent.

Can they not shoot it with that laser to break it up?

Glad to hear it worked out well. Can echo the relief in having a trusted and fair HVAC company. We love ours, tremendous people.[/QUOTE

We had this company replace the HVAC system in our first house before we posted it on the market. They do good work!

Good question. I don't have all of the details, since I had a CT scan at 12:30 and I got a phone call at 4:45. I'm sure there will be some discussion of what exactly is going on.

Between a frantic work schedule that started last August, and has included big changes in my job position and responsibilities (okay, some of that is actually a good thing), family responsibilities over the holidays, a bout of food poisoning this week, and a very wet January here in the land of year-round golf ......... I HAVEN'T BEEN GOLFING SINCE BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Okay, rant over, not sure if I' feel any better though, I really need to get on a golf course!

They scheduled the procedure for Tuesday instead of today, so I had my pre-op meeting today. They're going to do the laser thing. It's a 1.2 cm (1/2") stone.

My god the world has changed.

Got a FACEBOOK message from a parent today accusing me of calling her son an idiot in class and berating me about how disappointed she was and that I used to be her sons favorite teacher.

A short time later I got a message with a poorly attempted apology because apparently his friends were messing with him....

He wasn’t even in class yesterday.

This is a HUGE part of why I’m considering doing the stay home thing and walking from coaching and education.

You contact me through FACEBOOK without even first trying to verify the claims of freshmen students? Oh, and I didn’t mention, you use Facebook when you are my NEIGHBOR?

This may have been the tipping point. Might be time to stay home, take care of kids, get a couple rent houses, and travel for thp.

Got a FACEBOOK message from a parent today accusing me of calling her son an idiot in class and berating me about how disappointed she was and that I used to be her sons favorite teacher.

A short time later I got a message with a poorly attempted apology because apparently his friends were messing with him....

This is a HUGE part of why I’m considering doing the stay home thing and walking from coaching and education.

You contact me through FACEBOOK without even first trying to verify the claims of freshmen students? Oh, and I didn’t mention, you use Facebook when you are my NEIGHBOR?

This may have been the tipping point. Might be time to stay home, take care of kids, get a couple rent houses, and travel for thp.

Just so much wrong with that situation... A lot of people complain about "kids these days," but what can we expect from kids when the parents behave that way?

I think that says a lot about the Social Media age too. It used to be, if a parent needed to have a discussion with a teacher, that parent would have to go to the school. In that time, maybe the parent would assess the situation rationally and decide, perhaps the discussion was not even necessary--OR, as in your case, learn it was a prank played by kids. But now with all the instant modes of communication, people simply cannot control their impulses. Everyone is so triggered and ready to fire off nasty-grams on a whim.

You're right; the world has changed so much. And, in many respects, its just sad.

Yup. I hate this social media aspect and the lack of responsibility when posting. No accountability.

Wow I feel for you man. I don’t do facebook and it’s probably a good thing I don’t because I would lose my $#!+ if someone messaged me with some bs like that.

19° feels like 6° Its frickin cold out.

James, I get it. My wife is retiring - early - in the next month, because the rewards aren’t worth the crap she’s had to endure, and the effects on her physical and emotional well-being.

She teaches Academic Instructional Support in an upper middle class suburban district. Her school has by far the highest percentages of free/reduced lunches and ESL kids in the district, the largest enrollment of eight elementary schools, and yet the same faculty levels. It her case, the final straws were anal-retentive, micromanaging district administrators obsessed with one size fits all measurements that are meaningless in AIS/Special Education environments; previous principals and administrators who supported parents and students, but not teachers; and an unserviceable caseload of 65 students year after year, while in other schools multiple classroom sit empty.

I’m sure you know as a teacher you have touched many lives in positive ways, and for every one you know of there are many, many others. But at some point for all of us in every profession, there is a point where the rewards aren’t worth putting up with the crap. You should realize that it’s OK if you’ve reached your breaking point. You’re not alone – I read on LinkedIn that in the first ten months of 2018, teachers quit their jobs at the highest rate on record.

I’m not saying staying at home is the only way. Not at all. In our case, my wife stayed at home until the younger one was eight, and only then went to work in a school so their home and away schedules were the same. We both agree we’ve paid a pretty steep economic price for that choice, but we also agree it was the best investment we ever made and would do it again in a heartbeat.

James, I get it. My wife is retiring - early - in the next month, because the rewards aren’t worth the crap she’s had to endure, and the effects on her physical and emotional well-being.

She teaches Academic Instructional Support in an upper middle class suburban district. Her school has by far the highest percentages of free/reduced lunches and ESL kids in the district, the largest enrollment of eight elementary schools, and yet the same faculty levels. It her case, the final straws were anal-retentive, micromanaging district administrators obsessed with one size fits all measurements that are meaningless in AIS/Special Education environments; previous principals and administrators who supported parents and students, but not teachers; and an unserviceable caseload of 65 students year after year, while in other schools multiple classroom sit empty.

I’m sure you know as a teacher you have touched many lives in positive ways, and for every one you know of there are many, many others. But at some point for all of us in every profession, there is a point where the rewards aren’t worth putting up with the crap. You should realize that it’s OK if you’ve reached your breaking point. You’re not alone – I read on LinkedIn that in the first ten months of 2018, teachers quit their jobs at the highest rate on record.

I’m not saying staying at home is the only way. Not at all. In our case, my wife stayed at home until the younger one was eight, and only then went to work in a school so their home and away schedules were the same. We both agree we’ve paid a pretty steep economic price for that choice, but we also agree it was the best investment we ever made and would do it again in a heartbeat.

We are in a really fortunate situation that we have the best child care ever, she’s cared for what seems like half the town and she’s insanely affordable because she loves it. Because of that the idea of staying home and being able to pick up and drop off kids while also improving our home and making my wife’s job easier at her new practice is alluring.

I love my school kids, both classroom and golf team, but at some point enough is enough and today was a major push that way.

We are in a really fortunate situation that we have the best child care ever, she’s cared for what seems like half the town and she’s insanely affordable because she loves it. Because of that the idea of staying home and being able to pick up and drop off kids while also improving our home and making my wife’s job easier at her new practice is alluring.

I love my school kids, both classroom and golf team, but at some point enough is enough and today was a major push that way.

That first part sounds like a great situation. As for the second, one of my management rules (I have three) is that the harder it is to reverse a decision without consequences, the more time and effort is needed for input, research, and analysis.

He said, stating the obvious.

****ing Amazon. Ordered something with a drop dead delivery date of today. It arrived. Open the package and the box was clearly used. Further inspection showed dog hair meaning this was obviously a return. Fire it up and nothing. It doesnt work. That leaves a pretty big hole for me now.

****ing Amazon. Ordered something with a drop dead delivery date of today. It arrived. Open the package and the box was clearly used. Further inspection showed dog hair meaning this was obviously a return. Fire it up and nothing. It doesnt work. That leaves a pretty big hole for me now.

Damn sorry to here this

Yeah, Jman. That's awful and sorry to hear it.

When I was a Youth Officer, it was standard practice to never be alone with a minor. Preferably another person of the opposite sex, be it another officer or civilian employee.

The unsubstantiated accusations kids can come up with, believably in their intricate and fabricated detail... would knock your socks off!

It was so bad with one kid who was so awful and his mom would believe anything he said hook-line-and sinker. He never made any accusations against me, just other officers in the street. Plus, he'd go off in disrespecting his mother but throw the halo back on and wings upon his back as soon as she got to the command.

"No Officer McDonald," she'd invariably say once made aware of his latest escapades. "I'm not saying you're lying but I am saying that you're mistaken. That's not my child."

She seriously turned her dial off to us, nothing we could possibly say to her would be acknowledged in the least.

One time, in an unrelated crime, adult perp happened to have a portable voice recorder on him. Unaffiliated with his arrest, just part of his personal property to be vouchered for safekeeping.

With the boss' permission, I explained the situation about my juvenile offender to the perp, that his mom was a good hard working woman but oblivious and indignant to her son's misbehavior. And I asked if I could borrow his recorder. He asked for it to erase what was on it (probably a great move ) then he obliged.

Secreted the device close enough and brought the kid in. We cannot interrogate a juvenile w/o a guardian present and I did not. I was just filling out pedigree information when he started popping off as usual. I advised him of his rights and recommended that he remain silent. He didn't listen, as usual. He was going on and on about the cops and what he was gonna do to them and whatever guy he had beef with that day. I told him to say no more until his mother got there when he went off about her too. All I said to that was, "in all my time on the job, I've never met a more caring and supportive woman than your mom. My opinion is that she cares and supports a bit too much and is blinded by your BS, but she sure doesn't deserve the nonsense you're throwing her way now. You may not respect me, anyone in uniform, or yourself but you should damned well respect that woman."

Man, he went off about her, saying he hopes the bus she tries to catch runs her over, along other completely nasty crap.

Mom shows up, I tell her what's happened sans mention of the recording device. As usual, a polite but adamant refusal to hear one darn word of it.

I placed the device on the counter but did not press play. I explained to her that I believed her son was not only at a crossroads but he was very likely to make the choice of no return. I told her what was on the device and asked if I may play it for her. Still miraculously confident in my faults rather than her son's, she very willingly agreed.

That poor woman's face dropped lower than I've seen, maybe anyone's. Very similar to one just receiving and then registering the news of a tragic loss. Tears streamed down her face.

She thanked me, hugged me, even kissed me on the cheek and apologized and said, "all this time, you've just been looking out for my boy. Better than me, it seems."

She went into that room and I didn't see a damned thing, nope, not one thing that may have appeared to be her smacking him upside the head a few times. Nope, I don't know what you're talking about.

As for him, his look of utter shock rivaled the level of his mom's previous despair.

As I officially released him to her, her last words to me with son by her side and within earshot of numerous officers was this, "if you all EVER see my boy misbehaving, please feel free to kick him in his ass or slap his smart face at will. Boy needs a father, without one I'm more than willing to allow the good men and women of NYPD to help me put him in his place!"

With that, I looked at the kid, face still in horror. "Hey Ty," I said. "I'll see you tomorrow, and the next day and the next. I have your schedule and I'll be at your school everyday checking whatever class, who knows which? Your ass better be in a seat."

...He's one of the success stories, turned himself around. Wouldn't have happened, couldnt have ever happened, without a mom stepping up to the plate.

Btw, the perp who's recorder it was, was very satisfied to take part. He wasn't charged with a major crime but it was one that would have greatly affected his career. So I had the arresting officer submit, along with his arrest process paperwork, my letter to the future judge to be assigned (and of course for the assistant district attorney to see too). Said the truth, without his help a child could be forever lost. With the perp's permission, I held onto the recorder and went to court for his hearing. ADA wanted to drop the case but there was something political at play and it landed before a judge.

Judge didn't need any testimony from me as it had nothing to do with his particular charges but he did want to listen to the recording in the hallway. Played it and he was impressed by how it all played out. Given that it was a victimless crime and the city was on board, judge on board, the man was released after charges were dropped to a mere violation (wouldn't appear as any criminal record).

All's well that ends well.

But yeah, the cumulative of that type of stuff when it was directed towards me, left me wanting to punch my own card and get the hell out of dodge a long while before actually retiring.

But, in my case, I'm glad that I stuck it out. All the best.

Last edited:
Yeah, Jman. That's awful and sorry to hear it.

When I was a Youth Officer, it was standard practice to never be alone with a minor. Preferably another person of the opposite sex, be it another officer or civilian employee.

The unsubstantiated accusations kids can come up with, believably in their intricate and fabricated detail... would knock your socks off!

It was so bad with one kid who was so awful and his mom would believe anything he said hook-line-and sinker. He never made any accusations against me, just other officers in the street. Plus, he'd go off in disrespecting his mother but throw the halo back on and wings upon his back as soon as she got to the command.

"No Officer McDonald," she'd invariably say once made aware of his latest escapades. "I'm not saying you're lying but I am saying that you're mistaken. That's not my child."

She seriously turned her dial off to us, nothing we could possibly say to her would be acknowledged in the least.

One time, in an unrelated crime, adult perp happened to have a portable voice recorder on him. Unaffiliated with his arrest, just part of his personal property to be vouchered for safekeeping.

With the boss' permission, I explained the situation about my juvenile offender to the perp, that his mom was a good hard working woman but oblivious and indignant to her son's misbehavior. And I asked if I could borrow his recorder. He asked for it to erase what was on it (probably a great move ) then he obliged.

Secreted the device close enough and brought the kid in. We cannot interrogate a juvenile w/o a guardian present and I did not. I was just filling out pedigree information when he started popping off as usual. I advised him of his rights and recommended that he remain silent. He didn't listen, as usual. He was going on and on about the cops and what he was gonna do to them and whatever guy he had beef with that day. I told him to say no more until his mother got there when he went off about her too. All I said to that was, "in all my time on the job, I've never met a more caring and supportive woman than your mom. My opinion is that she cares and supports a bit too much and is blinded by your BS, but she sure doesn't deserve the nonsense you're throwing her way now. You may not respect me, anyone in uniform, or yourself but you should damned well respect that woman."

Man, he went off about her, saying he hopes the bus she tries to catch runs her over, along other completely nasty crap.

Mom shows up, I tell her what's happened sans mention of the recording device. As usual, a polite but adamant refusal to hear one darn word of it.

I placed the device on the counter but did not press play. I explained to her that I believed her son was not only at a crossroads but he was very likely to make the choice of no return. I told her what was on the device and asked if I may play it for her. Still miraculously confident in my faults rather than her son's, she very willingly agreed.

That poor woman's face dropped lower than I've seen, maybe anyone's. Very similar to one just receiving and then registering the news of a tragic loss. Tears streamed down her face.

She thanked me, hugged me, even kissed me on the cheek and apologized and said, "all this time, you've just been looking out for my boy. Better than me, it seems."

She went into that room and I didn't see a damned thing, nope, not one thing that may have appeared to be her smacking him upside the head a few times. Nope, I don't know what you're talking about.

As for him, his look of utter shock rivaled the level of his mom's previous despair.

As I officially released him to her, her last words to me with son by her side and within earshot of numerous officers was this, "if you all EVER see my boy misbehaving, please feel free to kick him in his ass or slap his smart face at will. Boy needs a father, without one I'm more than willing to allow the good men and women of NYPD to help me put him in his place!"

With that, I looked at the kid, face still in horror. "Hey Ty," I said. "I'll see you tomorrow, and the next day and the next. I have your schedule and I'll be at your school everyday checking whatever class, who knows which? Your ass better be in a seat."

...He's one of the success stories, turned himself around. Wouldn't have happened, couldnt have ever happened, without a mom stepping up to the plate.

Btw, the perp who's recorder it was, was very satisfied to take part. He wasn't charged with a major crime but it was one that would have greatly affected his career. So I had the arresting officer submit, along with his arrest process paperwork, my letter to the future judge to be assigned (and of course for the assistant district attorney to see too). Said the truth, without his help a child could be forever lost. With the perp's permission, I held onto the recorder and went to court for his hearing. ADA wanted to drop the case but there was something political at play and it landed before a judge.

Judge didn't need any testimony from me as it had nothing to do with his particular charges but he did want to listen to the recording in the hallway. Played it and he was impressed by how it all played out. Given that it was a victimless crime and the city was on board, judge on board, the man was released after charges were dropped to a mere violation (wouldn't appear as any criminal record).

All's well that ends well.

But yeah, the cumulative of that type of stuff when it was directed towards me, left me wanting to punch my own card and get the hell out of dodge a long while before actually retiring.

But, in my case, I'm glad that I stuck it out. All the best.
It's not any better now. The inmates are super entitled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sad to say that my father-in-law, who got me back into golf, passed away Tuesday at the age of 97. He lived a very full life. A WWII vet with the Sea Bees in the south Pacific. He was married for 73 yrs. to his wife who is 96 herself. I will miss talking golf and many other things with him. I wish that we could play one more round of golf!

Sad to say that my father-in-law, who got me back into golf, passed away Tuesday at the age of 97. He lived a very full life. A WWII vet with the Sea Bees in the south Pacific. He was married for 73 yrs. to his wife who is 96 herself. I will miss talking golf and many other things with him. I wish that we could play one more round of golf!

Very sorry to hear that. He will have calm seas ahead.

It’s been so long since I have been sick. I forgot how awful this is.

I understand. After 5 years of not getting sick I got that nasty cold that hangs on. I feel for you.

It’s been so long since I have been sick. I forgot how awful this is.

Sorry to hear that GG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18”.....yes 18” of snow in the last 24hrs and still not done. The snow is piled up as high as our mailbox.

18”.....yes 18” of snow in the last 24hrs and still not done. The snow is piled up as high as our mailbox.

You've passed us. We wound up at 17" with the winds started to drift everything tonight. What part of Cleveland? Are you in the Snow Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back