The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a frantic phone call from my old boss’s wife (I’ve kept in touch as he was a mentor of mine for many years)

I was asked how much money it would take to come back and run the company. (You couldn’t pay me enough to work for that man again). Apparently he has been in the hospital for 2 weeks and the guy left in charge of running the company is totally incompetent to run an auto repair shop...

So for two days now I’ve been spending time at the shop trying to coach and give this guy some shop management 101 stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 days in P.R. and of all things UPS is backlogged from last week and the parts I desperately need that were shipped 2 day air last WED. are still not here and the worst part is UPS has no clue when they will be here.

Being a lawyer will be great, I said once.

giphy.webp

I was

200w.webp

I ask myself this every day, it seems.

200w.webp

I got a frantic phone call from my old boss’s wife (I’ve kept in touch as he was a mentor of mine for many years)

I was asked how much money it would take to come back and run the company. (You couldn’t pay me enough to work for that man again). Apparently he has been in the hospital for 2 weeks and the guy left in charge of running the company is totally incompetent to run an auto repair shop...

So for two days now I’ve been spending time at the shop trying to coach and give this guy some shop management 101 stuff...

you better be getting paid a fortune for that

I hope they wrote you a blank cheque for that, but either way - you're a good man.

Have you ever considered a back up sump pump. I have one that is water powered. There are also battery powered ones. Basement has not flooded since I had it installed.

Had a battery backup that failed. Hadn’t had an issue previously but apparently need a new battery now.

Have you tried looking at JRiver Media Center?

https://www.jriver.com/index.html

I have not until just now. Thanks! What do you like most about it?

Have you ever considered a back up sump pump. I have one that is water powered. There are also battery powered ones. Basement has not flooded since I had it installed.

The water-powered ones are nice in the event of extended outages, but the ones I am familiar with use two gallons of city water to pump one gallon of sump water. You need to inspect your sumps regularly. Our street has a high water table, every home has at least one sump, and everybody's pumps run frequently. About four months after our next-door neighbor died, his widow saw me in the yard and asked if I could look around her home to see where the leak was that gave her a $600 water bill. Should have been $70. I walked the water line into her home and saw nothing. We went to her basement, which was dry, and then I heard the sump draining, but no electric hum. I quickly established the main electric pump was bad, so the water-powered backup had been doing all of the work for some time, from the size of her water bill. She had no idea.

I feel like ****.

I also hate quitters.

I have not until just now. Thanks! What do you like most about it?

The water-powered ones are nice in the event of extended outages, but the ones I am familiar with use two gallons of city water to pump one gallon of sump water. You need to inspect your sumps regularly. Our street has a high water table, every home has at least one sump, and everybody's pumps run frequently. About four months after our next-door neighbor died, his widow saw me in the yard and asked if I could look around her home to see where the leak was that gave her a $600 water bill. Should have been $70. I walked the water line into her home and saw nothing. We went to her basement, which was dry, and then I heard the sump draining, but no electric hum. I quickly established the main electric pump was bad, so the water-powered backup had been doing all of the work for some time, from the size of her water bill. She had no idea.

I have not used JRiver much except for my huge music collection, but reading other comments about it's capabilities it something that I'll probably get into at some point. I'm not your most advanced techie guy out there.

For the cost and what you can do with it, it's really not a bad deal even just for my use. They have a free download with everything functional for 30 days, if you like it fine, if not get rid of it. The forum is also very helpful with knowledgeable guys.

I have not used JRiver much except for my huge music collection, but reading other comments about it's capabilities it something that I'll probably get into at some point. I'm not your most advanced techie guy out there.

For the cost and what you can do with it, it's really not a bad deal even just for my use. They have a free download with everything functional for 30 days, if you like it fine, if not get rid of it. The forum is also very helpful with knowledgeable guys.

From an initial look, it does not appear to have DVR capabilities, which is a must for me. But an intriguing platform for playback. Could tinker with it forever.

I really dislike people who talk loudly on planes...they are the same people who think everyone must want to hear their super important conversation.

From an initial look, it does not appear to have DVR capabilities, which is a must for me. But an intriguing platform for playback. Could tinker with it forever.

That's exactly what I do with my music. I have mine grouped by album/artist/title. You can upload cover art, play and copy in different codecs, I really enjoy it. As far as DVR goes, I think that JRiver can play dvr but not import them "I THINK".

1st world problem:

Doing some yardwork and ask very politely for wife to hand me a beer (as she just cleaned inside and I didn't want to trek dirt in)... She have me this
1be2eae5feaa8863eb7efffc7fded5e1.jpg

Leftover from our last bbq... #atleastshetried

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
crap. ac trouble. in the dead of summer. heard something strange coming from the return, opened it up and it was dripping water. entire floor is soaked. but it’s not the drain line. i honestly don’t know what it is. the unit needs to be replaced. this will suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crap. ac trouble. in the dead of summer. heard something strange coming from the return, opened it up and it was dripping water. entire floor is soaked. but it’s not the drain line. i honestly don’t know what it is. the unit needs to be replaced. this will suck.

Freon leak could be causing the condenser to freeze over.

Freon leak could be causing the condenser to freeze over.

you’re probably right. it’s the first time i’ve heard the noise, so hoping it hasn’t been going on long.

My aunt, my mom’s sister, just died. She had a stroke, just like my mom did in 2016 which led to her death last year. Guess I know what to expect...ugh

Damn so sorry to hear SS

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ever have a coworker so incapable that they are a liability? But, we cannot get rid of him because we need the bodies. Ownership has been going through a spell where every time someone leaves, they absorb their job roles across multiple people. Being in a support role where we need people available to answer emails and phone calls, we cannot be without the extra person. I just wish it was a different person filling that gap.

I mean, the guy has accomplished nothing. They have taken away pretty much any meaningful job duties since he cannot seem to get anything done without making mistakes. He has spent at least 4 hours today watching youtube videos and wandering around the building chatting with people. I had to let him know that someone replied to an email he sent from a shared inbox two hours after it came in.

Maybe they'll have to replace me instead. Ugh.

I'm so tired of playing crappy golf. I have a killer bag of equipment and no game to match it. It's really frustrating that I seem to hit better on the range but completely lose it on the course.

I'm so tired of playing crappy golf. I have a killer bag of equipment and no game to match it. It's really frustrating that I seem to hit better on the range but completely lose it on the course.

That’s tough but we all get there. It passes.

That’s no fun. You need a THP Event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back