Jesus take the wheel!

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I nearly died yesterday headed home from my round of golf. I was coming off the ramp from OK74 to get onto 150th St (for all of those familiar with the area aggiesam1983 Pstmstr) and blew out a brake line. I jumped the curb into the grass to keep from rear-ending the truck in front of me. I looked up and saw the traffic light post and swerved to the right to avoid it, then noticed a drain hole with a metal guard built around it and swerved back to the left between it and the light. I crossed all 4 lanes of 150th St and barely (probably less than 10') missed being hit by a Nissan work van. Luckily, all the cars in the westbound lanes saw me out of control and slowed/stopped to let me across. I ended up in the grass on the north side of the road with my adrenaline going full bore. See pics.

The guy in the Nissan van stopped to see if I was alright and gave me a ride home (about a mile). He said that when I hopped the median, I went up on two wheels. All I can say is Jesus had the wheel. I was out of it, just trying my best to miss anything that would kill me or hurt anyone else. Amazed that I didn't hit anything or anyone and no one hit me.

I fixed the brake line this morning and I don't think the truck is even out of alignment. I got off easy.

Attachments

• wreck1.PNG
    wreck1.PNG
    694.9 KB · Views: 0
  • wreck4.PNG
    wreck4.PNG
    757.2 KB · Views: 0
  • wreck3.PNG
    wreck3.PNG
    880.6 KB · Views: 0
  • wreck2.PNG
    wreck2.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Couple pics...
0513e2da87e6516bba0de970eef86d9a.jpg
439a1fe312cedbbb7b85a4efadc651e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Glad you’re ok. That could have been a disaster at that intersection especially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pstmstr;n8873989 said:
Glad you’re ok. That could have been a disaster at that intersection especially.

Thanks. Yeah, I couldn't get it out of my mind last night, just how lucky I was. The toll could have been anything from what happened to a totaled truck and me dead. Truly, truly feel like I was being watched over for that one. There's no way that plays out like that again.

Damn that's crazy glad youre alright

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jeez, I'm glad that turned out alright for you.

Oh my! I’m glad you are okay. I’ve never heard of a brake line doing that except on TV when the bad guy cuts it. I think I would still be shaking and airing out my car from the smell of me dirtying my pants.

Wow! Thanks for sharing.
Glad to see that you are safe and were able to walk away with minimal damage.

Keeps everything in perspective ....

That's crazy, glad you and all are OK.

The only time I've had no brakes is when on ice, pre anti-lock brake era, and it's a flat-out awful feeling. I've had close calls myself but nothing that prolonged.

Very lucky.

aggiesam1983;n8874100 said:
Oh my! I’m glad you are okay. I’ve never heard of a brake line doing that except on TV when the bad guy cuts it. I think I would still be shaking and airing out my car from the smell of me dirtying my pants.

Well, it is a 2001 with nearly 190k miles. I'm gonna replace the other 3 soon as it cools down a bit. Might just redo them all 4 again and put stainless brake lines on it.

WMac19;n8874149 said:
That's crazy, glad you and all are OK.

The only time I've had no brakes is when on ice, pre anti-lock brake era, and it's a flat-out awful feeling. I've had close calls myself but nothing that prolonged.

Very lucky.

Oh, I've slid on ice, too. I'd say ice is worse than what I had going on there except with ice, you have some warning. If I had been driving on ice (or even cold enough that I knew there was a chance of ice, I'd have been creeping along and being overly cautious. With this, all was normal... until it wasn't. With ice, you're at the mercy of where it wants you to go. At least I still had steering control. Either way, it was a sphincter factor of about 12 on a 1 to 10 scale for a few seconds there.

Thank God you are OK. That is a scary thing.

Glad you're ok! Looking at the pics shows just how dicey the situation was!

Dude that's crazy! Glad you're OK

Man that's amazing. Glad your reactions were incredible and you are ok. What a heart pumping terror ride for sure.

Dang that is nuts. Glad you are OK!!

OG -you and I have shared s few virtual beers on here. Glad it happened how it did. I have a rookie on the driving force here and he scares the ever loving bejesus out of me. I have my winter car (needed here) that’s a 4x4 SUV that’s old as hell. It just one blown something from this happening. I pray it happens when I’m piloting versus the rookie. I love the kid but he’s had more accidents in 3 months of permit driving than I have in 20 years of actual driving.

I think the the insurance companies slipped some money to him as I’m going from from less than 100.00 a month to over 1k. What the flying hell? That’s 2/3 of my mortgage.??!?

at any rate glad you are ok friend, I’ve blown a brake line a couple times. Lucky for me I’ve always been traveling uphill and have never had a horrible accident.

God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” -- Hebrews 13:5b

Back