Is Golf Your Most Expensive Hobby?

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
I was looking in the Nut Cave the other day at all my clubs sitting in the corner, in various bags & thought ... wow, how much money have I spent on this great game of ours over the years?

Then I thought, wait a minute, I spend way more than that on fishing. Between the cost of gasoline to fill up a 90 gallon tank, all the lures I have to replace, the rods that wear out & need replacing, other maintenance to the boat & jet skis, etc. I spend a lot of money on all my hobbies ... but fishing by far takes all my money.

So what say you THP ... what is your most expensive hobby? Or does golf take all your cash?

Tied for me. We also own a boat and that is roughly the same expense year to year as golf.

Not even close. My love for watches eclipses golf by miles.

NullNomad;n8883082 said:
Not even close. My love for watches eclipses golf by miles.

See I have that problem too ... but it's not that large of a collection yet.

Nope. Shooting is much more expensive for me.

Then, of course, there is music. I really don't consider that a hobby, though. It's been more of a way of life for me. Plus, I've actually made more money from it than I've spent over the 37 or so years I've played professionally. But, the amount of equipment I've owned over the years is well into the tens of thousands.

Hunting can be expensive, but the most goes to golf for sure.

Its a toss up. I certainly maintain and always have a taste for a variety of firearms and hunting equipment. I would say right now they are running neck and neck over the last 2 years though.

I was a performing magician for many years. It definitely eclipsed my spending on golf (mostly due to the inherent costs of many of the illusions I owned). However, I actually made some money when I performed regularly which I've never done playing golf. So in the end it's tough to say since I've never actually tallied them up side by side...

it is now, but it used to be wine collecting/drinking.

It might be my most expensive hobby. I go about golf and fishing the same way, often, modestly, and close to home, neither activity sets me back too much. When my wife rolls hers eyes at my obsessions I remind her, “it could be race cars or airplanes”.

Snickerdog;n8883114 said:
Hunting can be expensive, but the most goes to golf for sure.

Yeah hunting for me is a close 2nd behind fishing. The collection of guns seems to grow every year.

At the moment, definitely. All time? I'd probably say I've spent more money over the years on guitars, amps, etc.

Over time, yes. The combo of clubs, balls, and green fees costs more than either skiing or mountain biking, my other higher cost activities. I can ski (XC or backcountry) or mountain bike without any extra cost or hassle of scheduling anything like a tee time. We are blessed with great trails and backcountry access. I often hit the trails from my house. Golf is a whole lot more complicated to setup and, over time, more expensive.

Not even close. I spend far more on deer hunting every year. Don't even want to think what i spend a year. It's all worth it getting to spend time with my son and the look on his face when he gets a deer.
99e5c3a4e24e18d9e2eb0876f5484e75.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Since I quit bowling yes it is and its not remotely close to anything else I do

There is a reason why I never tell my wife how much I spend on golf. I hope she doesn't see this. Oh crap...

It is now. Prior to golf I was going through flight training (not for work/job), and that held the title, but golf is it now.

Between cars, ice hockey, gambling, video gaming and LEGO Collecting, I'd say Golf ranks low on the list.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MichiganGripRip;n8883273 said:
Between cars, ice hockey, gambling, video gaming and LEGO Collecting, I'd say Golf ranks low on the list.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

LEGO collecting? Seriously?

Yes; fishing is a lot more affordable when the boat just sits on the trailer.

Very much so haha

Golf is probably the most expensive hobby I have, but not by much. Hockey costs close to what I pay for golf, and I play year round, while golf is only six months or so. And a hockey stick costs about the same as a golf club, but I don't break and throw away clubs 2-3 times a year. I think golf balls are what puts it over the top in total cost.

Without a question yes

Woodworking cost >> Golf Cost. There is always a new tool that costs several hundred or even several thousand dollars that I just "need" for a project.

Back