Is Golf Your Most Expensive Hobby?

Oh, yes. My most expensive by far. But, it's pretty much my only hobby so it doesn't have much competition :)

Outside of home improvements/renovations, yes, golf would be my most expensive hobby.

Without a doubt!

Initial investment wise, Mountain Biking is costs MUCH more for me. Even if I add a new high end driver to my bag, the total cost of my clubs is less than halve the price of my most recent mountain bike (yes I own 5 bikes). Once the golf "season" starts in AZ and the greens fees go through the roof, then I'm sure golf will overtake it in my budget. However, I have taken my bike to Switzerland to ride, so that's a lot of rounds of golf for it to catch up in total outlay.

Muscle cars are more expensive than golf for me.

For me it is. But I don't have too many other hobbies. Other than volunteering on the FD, being a dad and golf - my time is pretty much all taken.

golfinnut;n8883280 said:
LEGO collecting? Seriously?
Yep, toys can bring some serious cash. Mostly just purchase and store until later.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wubears71;n8883318 said:
Woodworking cost >> Golf Cost. There is always a new tool that costs several hundred or even several thousand dollars that I just "need" for a project.

I figured you and JohnSinVA would chime in about that.

wubears71;n8883318 said:
Woodworking cost >> Golf Cost. There is always a new tool that costs several hundred or even several thousand dollars that I just "need" for a project.

You're definitely doing it right :good::good:

Last edited:
It was till I had my mid life crisis and bought a motorcycle. Now most of my money goes into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is for me, but time doesn't really allow me to have other hobbies so golf is really my only hobby now. I guess working out is too, but I have a great set up in the basement so that's now free year after year. Was an expensive year a few years ago, but now it's just adding something here or there that really adds up to a round of golf or two when said and done.

No question...... haha

Not even close. I generally buy equipment used or a season or two old and don't spend much on balls. I generally play cheaper courses ($25-$50). Overall, I spend much more on shooting. Range membership, ammo, and new toys add up. I went today actually, and probably shot about $50 worth of ammo, which I will now feel compelled to replace and spend another $50.

Marriage is my most expensive hobby :banghead: Golf has really become my only hobby and I only spend money on golf and related activities.... Speaking of which, I need to post in the equipment pondering thread :angel:

Now that I've slowed down my travels to 1 major trip overseas a year, golf is number one.

It's definitely golf.

I don't even want to guess if I've spent more money on golf or whiskey. It will make me sad.

Boating is way more expensive, especially when I consider my upfront costs and depreciation for our 2 boats, 2 jet skis, dock, and lifts. Together they cost triple the amount of our first house that we bought in 1995.

Skiing can exceed golf on a year that I take a Cat/Heli trip to Canada.

Currently, yes.

Course of my life? Not even close.

Motorcycle racing was an easy $30k per year.

Then there was the 40' boat. $50k per year.

When I owned my paintball business, I spent $20-40k per year playing in tournaments etc.

As of now, over the past 2 years, golf is in the $10k per year realm.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Oh, no it's not by a good bit. My music hobby is much more expensive.

Nope, cost of golf is nothing compared to a wakeboard boat.

I certainly hope so.

Stemmy66;n8884060 said:
Marriage is my most expensive hobby :banghead: Golf has really become my only hobby and I only spend money on golf and related activities.... Speaking of which, I need to post in the equipment pondering thread :angel:

Is marriage really a hobby? I don't call this :bicker: a hobby.

golfinnut;n8883065 said:
I was looking in the Nut Cave the other day at all my clubs sitting in the corner, in various bags & thought ... wow, how much money have I spent on this great game of ours over the years?

Then I thought, wait a minute, I spend way more than that on fishing. Between the cost of gasoline to fill up a 90 gallon tank, all the lures I have to replace, the rods that wear out & need replacing, other maintenance to the boat & jet skis, etc. I spend a lot of money on all my hobbies ... but fishing by far takes all my money.

So what say you THP ... what is your most expensive hobby? Or does golf take all your cash?

Currently, yes, but when I had my Jeep (6 years), the money I spent it would have funded my golf life for at least a decade... maybe two.

tahoebum;n8884436 said:
Boating is way more expensive, especially when I consider my upfront costs and depreciation for our 2 boats, 2 jet skis, dock, and lifts. Together they cost triple the amount of our first house that we bought in 1995.

This for sure. I just had to replace the boards on my dock that were warped & coming apart. Also taking 1 of the 2 jet skis in for repair because my idiot brother decided to suck a rope into the impeller. Not to mention the new $25K motor for the boat a year ago. Salt water just eats away at everything! So yeah ... this definitely takes the cake over golf.

Back